Which approach do you take in your construction

Originality for the win!
31 (70.5%)
Modular all the way!
13 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

ColonistGirl

Quote from: Kori on October 11, 2017, 08:23:46 PM
Same here, I always have so many crop fields that in the past I had to store it unrefrigerated. In the end 50% of my micromanagement was sorting out which bag of rice/ corn/ potatoes is going to rot soon so that I better process it next.
With Extended Storage all those immense masses of food are neatly frozen now and I could survive a 10 years long winter if I have to (in my last game I had about 70.000 milk and even I got the feeling that it's slowly getting a bit too much...).

It's really funny how many people tend to hoard everything in computer games with this "maybe I'll need this later" mentality.

Let me know when you found out which wall lights mod it is, there seem to be a few out there but none of them updated for A17 as far as I can see..

I've never had quite THAT much food stored up, though between various veggies and stuff, I've probably had 20-30k worth sitting in the freezer, along with 500ish prepped meals.

I don't really hoard everything, I just toss it into storage bins for when I can offload it on traders. The moment a weapons trader swings by, they end up walking away with like 50+ weapons and junk I don't need. Just like making tons of smokeweed joints and yayo to unload and make extra cash. Some of the yayo I save for making adrenaline rib replacements, but most of it I sell.

I just started a new colony last night in another little valley, which has two geothermal vents in it. Not quite the same "bwahaha, unlimited powah!" that the other one had, but eh, we'll make do. Had a distress call from a decent pawn early on, and then managed to recruit the leader of a raid that came after us shortly thereafter, so we're up to 5 people now. Soon we'll have all our buildings done and tech in place, so we can start up our organ-farming business!

Call me Arty

The game kinda necessitates function over form. You've got like, a single plane of existence to build. Have a crafting station in Minecraft, for example? Put it on the floor, in the floor, use them as floor tilings, hang one from the ceiling, whatever, doesn't matter. In Rimworld, you can put it on the floor, that's it. Too close to the door or on top of a couple puddles of blood you can't see anymore? The room's filthy, your crafter goes ape and proceeds to tear an eye and half the fingers off of the doctor.
   What about hospitals? Too far from the battlefield, and a mud puddle and heavy door just killed your soldier in the dining room. Got it too close to your main entrance? After every pawn capable of pointing a gun in the right direction was sentenced to bed rest to hold-off the infections from the last manhunter pack, raiders are going to break down the door, scare-off the gardener, kidnap half a dozen soldiers, and leave.

If you got past that wall of text, then maybe you understand that I don't get creative. I don't do killboxes, so I need my walls around the fields and a clear path to the hospital next to the medicine storage which isn't the same storage as the one with the materials next to the workshop which out of the way of the jealous barrack but next to the aesthetic pits who share a heating vent with the closer-to-regulars.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

NiftyAxolotl

You can have organic growth in a modular framework, with the right design. These...
http://also.kottke.org/misc/images/half-a-house.jpg
... start with unpolished wood floors and the barest plumbing and electricity. And as the owners can, they make improvements and build new rooms, expanding into the extra space. Each one ends up looking different, even though the framework is the same.
Also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Pattern_Language

Limdood

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 10, 2017, 04:35:00 AM
That is genius. I would love to see a picture with one of those.

My colony wealth is absurd, so the over-the-top traps help to deal with insane raids without 20+ turret killboxes
The 4 turrets early in the hallway provide negligible fire, but distract and attract attackers.
The sandbag by the traps keeps a raider from taking cover in that square.
The steadily shrinking hallway into the base can cover 16 pawns shooting with wall and sandbag.  I had to triple up some of the layers since i started at 6 wide instead of 8, so there is the tiniest of chances for friendly fire from the back layer of a group of 3 to hit the front...thats where my least useful pawns go.  If i'd only doubled layers, there would be no friendly fire risk.
Raiders often split up once the enter the hallway, some hitting different turrets, some going for the front door-shooters, and some inexplicably racing deep to the back (they only get like one swing and down).

I generally take minimal damage at all.  The worst was when i didn't see a doomsday rocket launcher guy (they sent 3 doomsdays and 2 triples and i missed one doomsday) and he got a shot off....badly injured 2 colonists, and killed a few animals that were too slow to get to safety, but no colonist deaths.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

ruddthree

I'm a mix of the two extremes. I start out with a fairly organic layout (I carved my hospital out of a medium-sized hill once, my magnum opus of building XD), then adapt to a more modular layout later on as needed. Stiil not 100% modular, more of a lot of modules in organic positions (if that made any sense).

Lubricus

I am trying to plan and then utterly fail and everything will just be an mess

A Friend

Organic but efficient. I never use the planning tool, so my bases tend to have this compact but branching out look to it.
I can't really understand people pouring hours into extensively planning their base then have it wiped out a few months into the game...
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Devon_v

Both personally. I have particular styles that I prefer to build in, I have a housing design that I like, I tend to repeat the same structures, but it's a matter of what the land will support as to how all the buildings will end up layed out. Rather than a monolithic base, I have basically dorms, and a central eating/living area, and a hospital, and a greenhouse, and a workshop, etc. What gets built when depends on conditions on the ground, how soon I need a second dorm, if there's enough accessible farmland to skip the greenhouse for a while. If the terrain is naturally defensible the base might end up with a killbox after all, though I don't usually use them since Combat Extended really changes how battles flow. I like to build block houses instead, and my soldiers just respond to whichever direction the raid happens to come from. This works well when it's a drop pod raid as the attacker don't automatically bypass the main thing that was supposed to kill them, and sappers don't have anything to bypass so they just turn into a regular raid with a bunch of low range guys.