[Idea/Help] New mod idea

Started by Crimsonknight3, May 18, 2014, 04:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimsonknight3

I am wanting to get more into modding for Rimworld and I have had  an idea and before I start figuring out how, I want to know if it is possible.

Basically I want to be able to either A. Spawn a village (using a custom storyteller) with enemy faction NPC's that don't leave and have their own jobs/defences or B. Have 3 enemies spawn and build  their own village.

I guess I think it's going to be quite complicated (if possible) but Ill at least try and learn as much as I can while failing! haha

ItchyFlea

It's possible to have the game generate a pre-made structure when a map is first created, and that's purely through .xml.
I personally find it extremely tedious, as you have to use an offset X,Y,Z co-ordinate system.

I've just added the .xml code I used to generate the structure shown in this post from my WIP Neolithic mod. That code is placed near the end of the BaseMapGenerators.xml file. However the game sometimes generates it's own terrain over that, so it isn't 100% reliable.

A probably far easier way would be to do it via a .dll, however I don't know how. There might be something in the code the game uses to generate abandoned ruins that you could use to generate a pre-made enemy camp.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created