So many jobs, so little time, how to choose

Started by RemingtonRyder, October 10, 2017, 01:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

In vanilla RimWorld, if you have a cook working in the kitchen with stockpiles of food nearby, and a lower-priority stockpile of food some distance away, colonists doing the Hauling job will pick up five (or sometimes ten) units of raw food from the low-priority stockpile and bring it to the kitchen. Then, if the cook has just finished a meal, the kitchen stockpile is down ten or more units of raw food so off they go to fetch more.

There is a mod called RimWorld Search Agency which has a feature called Hauling Hysteresis, which was originally its own mod.

What I'm suggesting is kind of in that vein, but could possibly work for others jobs besides hauling.

When a pawn is looking for a job which involves moving stacks of resources, instead of just picking the closest job they also consider how many resources need to be moved.

So they might at first narrow it down to several jobs that involves moving stacks of resources, but then when they consider this shortlist, they find that while Job A is five times further away than Job B, it requires ten times the resources. So they do Job A. Job B is of course still available to any other colonist who is also doing the same work.

Thoughts?

SpaceDorf

Include condition and/or value of the items and my only thought is : Yes Please.

The problem with choosing by "amount" of ressources single Items like Weapons and Clothes always come last, especially when they are far away from home.

And thanks for mentioning a mod, I have not yet heard of  ;D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

tommiethegun

I like the idea of the AI being smarter about what to haul first. Maybe instead of using stack count to prioritize it could use the market value of the stack. That way weapons or clothes that are actually valuable wouldn't get left out in the elements to rot, but dead mans clothing would still be brought in last.

Also: not quite as good, but JTBetterHauling mod lets you assign zones to prioritize hauling. Handy for forcing pawns to prioritize specific regions above others. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26210.0