Improve Raider AI: Mortar Support

Started by Bolgfred, October 10, 2017, 05:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolgfred

Dear colonist society,

Most player know this problem: enemy raiders never stick to the plan! They prefer to randomly attack walls instead of following the well designed annihilation-path, that was prepared just for this kind of visitors.
I imagine this behaviour a very legit way if tribals come at you, charging your base, trying to stomp anything stompable.
If it's for raiders, I think they could come up with a better idea than attackaing a wall.

One solution could look like this:
When the raid starts, and there is no clear path or very much walling between raiders and their target, the raid stops. Depending on manpower 1-5 raiders or something leave the map and 1-3 Mortar shells or something will be shot from out of the map, focusing on a single chokepoint, which seems to be blocking their way.
While the shooting is done, the raiders think again and send another raider to shoot again or charge into their new created breach.

The details of how many raiders can be sent away or the raider/shell ratio might not be written in stone, it's just more about the idea of trading manpower for siegestrength, making raiders not looking too stupid, hitting granite with bare hands(a think that should be also impossible in my opinion)
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

SpaceDorf

I like this Idea.

It is easy on the cpu, it expands an event, that is inherently annying at best,
and it is actually based on common sense.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.