Puzzled: Colonist eats from floor instead of table.

Started by fluxfaraday, October 18, 2017, 03:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxfaraday

My colonists keep eating from the floor in the refrigerator.  A table is just a couple of rooms away.  Another poster said something about 'a 25 cell limit' but I don't see anything like that in the patch notes (For A15, A16, or A17).  The closest chair is 32 meters away.  Is that a problem?  Thanks!

Mutineer

Probably distance. or luck of chairs for everyone who wants to eat.

fluxfaraday

Yes.  I moved the table to the room next to the fridge and they've stopped eating on the floor.  Yay!

dburgdorf

By default, yes, pawns will search only within 25 tiles for chairs to sit at when eating.  It's an easy XML edit to change that search radius, though, and there are a couple of small mods available that do exactly that.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Padd

Quote from: dburgdorf on October 18, 2017, 05:54:11 PM
pawns will search only within 25 tiles for chairs to sit at when eating.

Thank you for that clarification. Now i understand why some of my pawns eating on the floor too.

Do you build several scattered rooms with chairs and a table to avoid this when a pawn decides to eat away from the first dedicated room ?

Limdood

you could build several dining rooms, or just make the dining room next to where the food is stored (pawns that carry food with and eat it far from home will still get the mood penalty, but the majority will eat at the table).

Bozobub

Exactly.  I *always* place my main rec/dining room (I always combine the 2) so both the kitchen and food storage are close by, and I generally only see this "problem" when pawns are busy outside (where a packed meal makes perfect sense, imo).  Yeah, there are definitely rare exceptions but overall, it's not an issue.  I'd see it even less often, if I bothered to put a table and chair in each bedroom ^^'.
Thanks, belgord!