Construction success chance penalties are really harsh

Started by YokoZar, October 12, 2017, 04:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on October 19, 2017, 08:46:09 AM
Quote from: TheMeInTeam on October 18, 2017, 12:01:48 PM
Quote from: Andy_Dandy on October 18, 2017, 04:24:22 AM
It's a good thing it's annoying, because if not you as a player would not bother. What's the value of implants or keeping your pawns healthy if it really doesen't matter that much?

You seem to be confusing annoyance and difficulty.  One does not imply the other.

No, the annoyance makes you want to prevent it from happening, and makes you care for it not to happen. It also makes you concider not using your master constructer if he is permanently or for the time being has worse then 50% manipulation. I don't want another solution that makes me care less. Removing the wasting of ressources would just be punishing in time consumption, making me not care too much.

To be clear, I don't find the mechanic annoying. The annoyance comes if you choose to ignore the consequences of the mechanic or have to do so (no other constructors). Annoyance in the meaning of not playing optimally, not annoyance like in "I hate this mechanic". But it's all jolly good for gameplay in every way. Nothing micro intensive what so ever about this one, just a pure pluss for the game, and an example of the great detail in mechanics this game has.

If you don't care about time loss in Rimworld, you don't care about how effectively you're playing Rimworld.

erdrik

... But it's all jolly good for gameplay in every way. Nothing micro intensive what so ever about this one, just a pure pluss for the game, and an example of the great detail in mechanics this game has.
*facepalm*
There is no better way to create a trash game or to trash it's mechanics, than to ignore the negatives and pretend it is perfect.

Thankfully, Tynan doesn't think like this guy.

Bozobub

It's a good thing it's annoying, because if not you as a player would not bother. What's the value of implants or keeping your pawns healthy if it really doesen't matter that much?

You seem to be confusing annoyance and difficulty.  One does not imply the other.

No, the annoyance makes you want to prevent it from happening, and makes you care for it not to happen. It also makes you concider not using your master constructer if he is permanently or for the time being has worse then 50% manipulation. I don't want another solution that makes me care less. Removing the wasting of ressources would just be punishing in time consumption, making me not care too much.

To be clear, I don't find the mechanic annoying. The annoyance comes if you choose to ignore the consequences of the mechanic or have to do so (no other constructors). Annoyance in the meaning of not playing optimally, not annoyance like in "I hate this mechanic". But it's all jolly good for gameplay in every way. Nothing micro intensive what so ever about this one, just a pure pluss for the game, and an example of the great detail in mechanics this game has.
So you think ignoring the actual reasons so many people find this mechanic "annoying"is somehow a good idea, eh?  Furthermore, you think your definition of that annoyance somehow trumps what people actually say..?

Nice fail.  Since you seem to be unaware:  Upsetting large portions of your playerbase can be what is known as "bad".

The REAL problem here, is that debilitating (to at least some extent) wounds are FANTASTICALLY easy to get in A17, with little recourse commonly available (bionics are currently very rare in the "vanilla" game).  In fact, so easy, it becomes more than a little ludicrous and upsetting to many people.  This is compounded when the injury is limiting in a way that makes little to no sense to players.

You honestly have no issues with a one-eyed worker failing (any task besides shooting) at some increased rate, as an easy example?  Why, if so?  How does that "simulate" anything even remotely close to reality?
Thanks, belgord!

Limdood

Quote from: Bozobub on October 19, 2017, 03:45:34 PM
The REAL problem here, is that debilitating (to at least some extent) wounds are FANTASTICALLY easy to get in A17, with little recourse commonly available (bionics are currently very rare in the "vanilla" game).  In fact, so easy, it becomes more than a little ludicrous and upsetting to many people.  This is compounded when the injury is limiting in a way that makes little to no sense to players.

Just had a pawn start a social fight with another pawn due to an annoying voice.  Apparently it was annoying enough to rip off that pawns right pinky and index finger. 

was hunting and shot a rabbit.  apparently when rabbits take 3 gunshot wounds ripping off their tail, a leg, and nearly fatally wounding their torso, the only logical response is to run away and hide like a rabbit would somehow understand where the projectile is coming from and fly at the 20x larger attacker in a ball of furry fury and somehow be effective enough to jump higher than it ever physically could and RIP OFF THE HUNTER'S NOSE.  Now everyone suddenly dislikes this hunter.  Hunter also subsequently lost a thumb and an ear in a social fight.  reason?  she was disfigured.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on October 19, 2017, 10:40:35 AM

If you don't care about time loss in Rimworld, you don't care about how effectively you're playing Rimworld.

Of course I care about time loss, but I care even more about losing rare ressources. That doesent mean I want pure time loss to be the only thing I'd want to prevent of negative maluses in my game. I like how this game is alot richer then just those thypical mediocre game designs out there.

You could easely dumb down the consequences to just be about pure time loss with a mod, I'd guess.

erdrik

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on October 20, 2017, 03:11:14 AM
... I like how this game is alot richer then just those thypical mediocre game designs out there.
While this game does indeed have a well above average depth in its design, the inappropriate loss of body parts does not contribute to it.
It CAN contribute to it once its flaws are addressed, but until they are it only detracts from the depth in design.