[A17 WIP] Planet of the Apes 1.0 - now in development

Started by WalkingProblem, October 12, 2017, 06:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkingProblem

From the guy who brought you Minions and RimSlaves, presents:

Planet of the Apes Mod!

This mod will be based on the latest movie trilogy and will feature "tribal apes with M16s and Bazookas" as both factions and playable pawns.

Current plan: there will be 2 factions, one lead by Caesar (neutral faction), another led by Koba (enemy faction); they will be pretty human-like and will basically be like tribal faction start. We will have all 3 species: chimpanzee, gorilla and orangutan.

I will want to add appropriate backstories and bios for some of the movie featured apes.

What else you guys think the mod should have or any ideas you guys wanna contribute?

SpaceDorf

The use of Pawn Bodies for the Apes is genius :)

And I want him.
If there will be Monk... APES in Rimworld I want him 

Keeping with Planet of the Apes Lore, I would love to see green Hands holding Torches sticking out of the ground. Very Low Spawn Chance but still ..

Featurewise, I guess some Armors and Helmets for the Apes should be included.
Special Weapons make less sense, since the Apes used what was there.

What I like best about the new Trilogy is that it is all Malfoy's fault  :o

Finally something that would be awesome, but I guess impossible :
Apes should gain more cover from Trees and a lower movement penalty.

Again, old Trilogy Lore : Monke.. Ape Slaves.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

WalkingProblem

I'm extremely unfamiliar with the old lore (which I understand from youtube videos that it is time travelling and confusing sci-fi stuff)

Currently, I'm just trying to focus on the latest trilogy's lore - as its simpler.

---

Because the bodies are not exactly "human" bodies - I'm not sure how they gonna wear human clothes... Not sure how the Alien Framework deals with this.

Thus it could be a case when I have to make custom clothes or armor for them....which will be a pain....

tonsrd

in my opinion they should be restricted to tribalware and helmets
weapons spears / tribal / bows

depends how realistic / how close to the movies you want to be ( one ape was on a mounted jeep firing a 50 cal ...

WalkingProblem

Quote from: tonsrd on October 12, 2017, 11:05:35 PM
in my opinion they should be restricted to tribalware and helmets
weapons spears / tribal / bows

depends how realistic / how close to the movies you want to be ( one ape was on a mounted jeep firing a 50 cal ...

If its the player starting as apes, then they are basically starting as tribal - so yeah, they wont have any guns.

But if its a raid from one of the Apes factions - they will come with machine guns and assault rifles (along with spears and pila)

SpaceDorf

I only wanted to point out the meme's of planet of the apes ;D

the time-travel aspect of the old movies is actually quite simple, since the astronauts moved only forward in time. The made a testflight or something with a noticable percentage of lightspeed and therefore experienced the time-dilation effect that time moved slower for them, as it did for their point of origin.
Which then turned into the giant twist at the end of the first Planet of the Apes movie.
The last astronaut find Lady Liberty half buried on a beach.

there were some prequels of the old movies which follow the same path as the reboot did.

=====

as for your mod .. yes, the apes never wore more than helmets, some body armor and some robes .. but were also comfortable naked ( so no bad thoughts for that .. )

And custom clothes would be more pain than the Dothraki ?

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 13, 2017, 06:06:48 AM
I only wanted to point out the meme's of planet of the apes ;D

the time-travel aspect of the old movies is actually quite simple, since the astronauts moved only forward in time. The made a testflight or something with a noticable percentage of lightspeed and therefore experienced the time-dilation effect that time moved slower for them, as it did for their point of origin.
Which then turned into the giant twist at the end of the first Planet of the Apes movie.
The last astronaut find Lady Liberty half buried on a beach.

there were some prequels of the old movies which follow the same path as the reboot did.

=====

as for your mod .. yes, the apes never wore more than helmets, some body armor and some robes .. but were also comfortable naked ( so no bad thoughts for that .. )

And custom clothes would be more pain than the Dothraki ?

Custom clothes... probably not too bad... i guess.

The more troublesome parts are the other race specific traits that I want apes to have.
- no movement speed penalty by any chunks/trees <-- no idea how to code this yet; cant exactly find the codes
- totally no need bed, sleep on the floor is okay (although a form of "bed" is a plus)
- happy to be around trees; so technically, no need to build rooms, just roofs with pillars would be good enough
- no penalty for eating raw meat (no need to cook)
- no naked penalty
- no sleep together with other people in the same room penalty
- x2 or x3 the melee attack as compared to humans
- x1.2 for healthscale

what else? =\

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Walking Problem on October 13, 2017, 02:04:33 PM
- totally no need bed, sleep on the floor is okay (although a form of "bed" is a plus)
- happy to be around trees; so technically, no need to build rooms, just roofs with pillars would be good enough
- no penalty for eating raw meat (no need to cook)
- no naked penalty
- no sleep together with other people in the same room penalty

Race Thinktrees not so hard to do ..
but I think some of those are also considered "sapient" traits ..

- x2 or x3 the melee attack as compared to humans
In damage or in speed ? I think base value for the melee attack are defined like a weapon,
else there would be no difference between humans and animals ..

- x1.2 for healthscale
can define that in the skeleton and body parts definitions

- no movement speed penalty by any chunks/trees <-- no idea how to code this yet; cant exactly find the codes

me neither ..

what else ?
higher carry weight and carry size ?
less manipulation, talking and science ?
other bad thoughts to balance the large boon of removing the other basic thoughts.
defining cannibalism
orang utan wool ( joking .. )

Recommended lecture : Orassans and XenGrimms Junk

Mantiarco

higher carry weight and carry size ?
less manipulation, talking and science ?
other bad thoughts to balance the large boon of removing the other basic thoughts.
defining cannibalism
orang utan wool ( joking .. )

Recommended lecture : Orassans and XenGrimms Junk

All those benefits in comparison to humans would not make them too much overpowered?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Mantiarco on October 14, 2017, 11:14:11 AM
All those benefits in comparison to humans would not make them too much overpowered?

Yes they would .. on the other hand ..
being naked means also no power armor.

and thats why I suggested the deficits in manipulation, talking and science ...
( manipulation is a pretty wide malus .. )
also that there should be other bad thoughts for Apes, to not make them joy wonder

WalkingProblem

Did you watch the movies? Thats the reason why the humans feared the apes - because apes are literally overpowered humans.

The only thing that set humans from apes apart is how smart humans are, thus we can overpower stronger animals like lions or elephant or gorillas - because of our abilities to work with tools and create weapons to leverage on.

But the moment apes (like chimps, gorillas) can have the same brain power - then humans in comparison would be an inferior kind.

In the movie, still, the apes are like tribal age - thus they are unable to fight on par with human's military (in the 2nd movie, the apes attacked a human civilian colony, and won; not the military). In the 3rd movie, the lack of technology and weapons, means that the apes are no match against humans, despite the higher muscle strengths and ability to just live in the wild.

So yeah - apes will be more powerful than humans, but they would die all the same when met with iron bullets and lasers.

Mantiarco

Quote from: Walking Problem on October 14, 2017, 02:51:41 PM

Did you watch the movies? Thats the reason why the humans feared the apes - because apes are literally overpowered humans.

The only thing that set humans from apes apart is how smart humans are, thus we can overpower stronger animals like lions or elephant or gorillas - because of our abilities to work with tools and create weapons to leverage on.

But the moment apes (like chimps, gorillas) can have the same brain power - then humans in comparison would be an inferior kind.

In the movie, still, the apes are like tribal age - thus they are unable to fight on par with human's military (in the 2nd movie, the apes attacked a human civilian colony, and won; not the military). In the 3rd movie, the lack of technology and weapons, means that the apes are no match against humans, despite the higher muscle strengths and ability to just live in the wild.

So yeah - apes will be more powerful than humans, but they would die all the same when met with iron bullets and lasers.

I have watched the two first, but a long time ago. Yeah, I agree with you now; but are you planning to add that intelligence malus in comparison to humans into the ape race, in a attempt to balance them? Maybe reducing global learning or research speed (maybe even social). Maybe lock them into a tech level below neolithic?

WalkingProblem

Nah, I just gonna make them as they are - superior than humans and less whiny. LOL!

What balances them up is how powerful their melees are - them going berzerk or social fights - its gonna be pretty lethal.

I have to add also, they arent going to be "WAY MORE" powerful than humans. They are just an advanced version of humans, but prefer to live in the woods. (which means, if there are no trees around, I will make them stressed and depress)

WalkingProblem

Just a sneak peek of the work in progress:

Note: the apes wont be wearing human clothes (at least tentatively), as their "body wont fit" the clothes. But I will likely allow them to wear human hats and helmets though. Gorillas and Orangutans probably wont wear any human apparels at all.

They will all be able to use all human weapons.

The mod is more troublesome/difficult to do than I originally expected. =P