[Mod Request] Watch Tower

Started by GIFShinobi, October 17, 2017, 06:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GIFShinobi

Hello i'm not sure if this idea has been brought up before or has already been made. But my request is to create a mod where a pawn can go on watch as the base's sentry. In my request i would like a watch tower complete with defensive and range advantage when ever a pawn enters the watch tower to conduct his or her watch. This mod could be an alternative for turrets. It would also completely be effective with players that prefer to take their time to progress in their research.

DiamondBorne

This mod is irrelevant until Lord Tynan add vertical height into the game. You could create a make-believe pillbox with a sentry gun inside though. Also, add Rikiki's Spotlight mod to complete your wishlist as it increase chance to hit on anything it shines at too, i think.

CannibarRechter

I think that Z would be less important than fog of war, and sneaking. If raiders could sneak into your base to steal stuff, etc, then watch towers (and guard dogs, and cowbell trips, etc) would make a lot of sense. I actually think that would be an interesting game mechanic, and considerably more important than Z.

BTW, the game already has, and uses, vertical height towards viwer ("Z"), just not in ways that are obvious to players.

Although, ironically, the height dimension in RW is "Y". X=left-to-right Y=towards or away from camera Z=up-down on monitor. RW uses all 3.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

DrMrEd

Quick thoughts here, but I think you could simply mimic the elevation effects with increased range. That is, if your weapon has a range of 20 tiles normally, when a pawn "mans" a Tower building, the weapon range gets a +5 or +25% or something. Further, if you figure a rifle could be mounted on a bipod in such a tower, then they'd get an accuracy boost as well. And lastly, given the defensive position behind the tower's battlement, their chance to get hit decreases, and negates any potential damage to lower parts of the pawn's body (although fire and mortars could still affect them as usual).

I'm picturing a 5x5 structure that the pawn mans in the center, then gets these buffs, which seems pretty doable without a true concept of elevation. There could be an unwalled backside too to mimic stairs/ladder that would leave them partially exposed from the rear.

Something like:

#-#
#o#
###

Since there's no fog of war (in that the player knows exactly where all the raiders are all the time, and even what gear they're carrying), effects would be limited to combat rather than a truer "watch tower" object for reconnaissance info.  It'd be awesome if raiders could man a tower if the colonists retreat back too.

GIFShinobi

I guess no one is interested in this? :/