R>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHAAAAA
R>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHAAACT
R>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHAAACT
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

ChasmofFate

I always start off with an easy to wall off area and leave off only one or two entrances. It forces them all into the same area and limits flanking opportunities.

OrangeTurtle

Well... I first of all plant 2 solar panels, in a line then 4 spaces for a battery and walls then i plant 2 more on the other side, then i make a room as big and as wide as the solar panels... Then once i made the room i research sniper turrets (I use many mods,) Then i plant a cook stove and butcher table and set my colonists to hunt like hell! and grow... Then i set up a comms console and a prison area.

iame6162013

i just do a TON of turrets around my base xD...
got much metal and stuff >>
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Coenmcj

Using a stone wall, then 2 embrasures, another stone wall, 2 embrasures... so on and so forth.
Covered in barb wire on the business end of the wall with a blasting charge field on the other side for the 300+ raids, Deck my colonists out with a combination of M24's and Miniguns and that's that.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

SSS

Tons of turrets seem to work well in open areas.  There's plenty of room for flanking and such when the enemy is occupied with the turrets, and they're doomed if they drop down on the center of the colony.

You can also make a large stone wall enclosure for your colony in the middle of the map. It helps if the terrain works with you. Anyway, I have double stone walls with a gap in between. If you leave one gate open on the opposite side of the map as the attackers, the majority of them will tire themselves out trying to run around the colony. I have stone brick stockpiles next to all of my gates for quick closure. I leave the inner wall open with "repair" as the #1 job for everyone in the colony. If the outer wall is breached anyway (read: frag grenades), I can close the inner wall quickly also.

You can pretty much avoid the entirety of a raid this way, and pick off the stragglers after they've given up for weapons/new recruits. Be sure to keep your best constructors repairing the walls hit by frag grenades and you're nearly untouchable.

Dr. Z

First of all I use manual priorities using a "gauge" for each of my colonists.

The first thing I build is a nutriend paste dispenser, then a room around it with 3 sleeping spots, a batterie and some light, outside 2 solar pannels and since I use wood economy a bench saw.

Idealy I've a mountain in my back, so I immediately mine an emergency exit through the mountain alongside with a growing zone. The I reaserch stonecutting because the raiders in Alpha 3 are smart enough to set your metal walls on fire instead of bounding to you're entrance (always build 2-tile thick stonewall cause otherwise fire from the outside can spread into the colony). So my second room has reaserch, communication and a 4-6 batteries.

Then I set up my defense using sandbags and one or two turrets in key positions to not increase raids to heavy. That's where my planned strategy ends and I do what seems the most pressure thing, maybe a prison, a steam genertor, workplaces or separat romms for the colonists.
Prasie the Squirrel!

sparda666

really simple, no turrets, denies them good cover, illuminates enemies while allies are in darkness
as an added bonus, sometimes they attack the doors

Avis

I like to build my colony into the mountain.I don't use turrets, I just don't see the use in them. I don't branch out at all, Rather i expand deeper into the mountain in a strait line. When the front line gets destroyed, I simply have my drafted colonists fall back into the base and fight there. I put my more valuable stuff (Food supply, battery's, Beds)  at the back of the base, so when the raiders bust in they have to fight through several rooms to get to that stuff. I have survived multiple raids this way, they destroy the front of my bace, but the back with all my important stuff is fine, then all i have to do is rebuild the front.
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.