[1.1] RunAndGun

Started by Roolo, October 14, 2017, 02:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enemy pawns should be able to shoot while they are fleeing

Yes please! I would do the same if I were fleeing with a gun in my hands.
31 (73.8%)
No, let me have my revenge!
11 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Mr_Man

Hi, not sure if this mod is working when pawns are drafted against animals? Checked just now and it doesn't appear to be.

Roolo

Quote from: Mr_Man on October 30, 2017, 04:38:10 PM
Hi, not sure if this mod is working when pawns are drafted against animals? Checked just now and it doesn't appear to be.

Yes you are right. This is because RunAndGun only works with fire at will. Since you're targeting animals manually, it doesn't work. If on the other hand animals become madenned manhunters, fire at will will trigger, and in this case, RunAndGun does work on animals.

If I were to make RunAndGun also work for manual aiming, I would have to face quite a bunch of technical challenges. Since the added value of making RunAndGun work for manual aiming is very little, I don't think it's worth going through the trouble at this point. But please prove me wrong if you have examples where you really miss RunAndGun in combination with manual aiming.

Mr_Man

Understood... not really a problem in terms of gameplay - more curiosity. Thought it would be extra brutal to mow down escaping rabbits  ;D

Nightinggale

I wonder if it would be possible to tag animals to make them trigger fire at will without also triggering madness. Something like an extra setting in addition to hunting. Quite useful if you want to get rid of beavers or similar quickly. There is also the option to make a zone where animals are automatically tagged like this, which will make your pawns automatically shoot animals eating from your growth zones. This sure has possibilities, but I think it would belong in a different mod rather than an extension to this one.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Goldenpotatoes

Running into an issue with the mod having issues and preventing the world map from generating, oddly enough.

Output log

This occurs with both manual/steam workshop variants of RunandGun/Hugslib. Seems like someone already made an issue report on the github. Running A18.

Roolo

Quote from: Nightinggale on October 31, 2017, 10:52:14 AM
I wonder if it would be possible to tag animals to make them trigger fire at will without also triggering madness. Something like an extra setting in addition to hunting. Quite useful if you want to get rid of beavers or similar quickly. There is also the option to make a zone where animals are automatically tagged like this, which will make your pawns automatically shoot animals eating from your growth zones. This sure has possibilities, but I think it would belong in a different mod rather than an extension to this one.

Haha, that is a pretty cool idea! But it's something for a different mod indeed. Shouldn't be to hard to implement though.

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on October 31, 2017, 01:14:23 PM
Running into an issue with the mod having issues and preventing the world map from generating, oddly enough.

Output log

This occurs with both manual/steam workshop variants of RunandGun/Hugslib. Seems like someone already made an issue report on the github. Running A18.

I didn't notice the issue on github, so thanks for making me aware :). I'm already releasing an update today, so I might aswell look into that too before releasing.

Roolo

New update!
- The RunAndGun movement penalty now depends on how heavy weapons are. What are considered heavy weapons and the penalty per weapon type can be configured in the mod options.
- Added a mod option that can be used to set the chance that enemy pawns will use RunAndGun while fleeing.
- Improved compatibility with non-human races.
- Solved problem with hugslib for A18 version that caused the map to not load.
- Changed the position of the RunAndGun button.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Roolo on November 01, 2017, 07:09:24 AM
New update!
- The RunAndGun movement penalty now depends on how heavy weapons are. What are considered heavy weapons and the penalty per weapon type can be configured in the mod options.
- Added a mod option that can be used to set the chance that enemy pawns will use RunAndGun while fleeing.
- Improved compatibility with non-human races.
- Solved problem with hugslib for A18 version that caused the map to not load.
- Changed the position of the RunAndGun button.

Just a suggestions:
I suggest having the light/heavy weapon be determined by the new "bulk" stat instead of weight by default.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Diana Winters on November 01, 2017, 12:46:50 PMJust a suggestions:
I suggest having the light/heavy weapon be determined by the new "bulk" stat instead of weight by default.
Reading this coming from somebody, who makes alien races makes me think the slowdown should depend on how strong the pawn is. On top of a bulky modifier, it should depend on weight divided by carry capacity or something, allowing strong aliens to have less of a slowdown when they use a heavy gun.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: Nightinggale on November 01, 2017, 12:52:20 PM
Quote from: Diana Winters on November 01, 2017, 12:46:50 PMJust a suggestions:
Reading this coming from somebody, who makes alien races makes me think the slowdown should depend on how strong the pawn is. On top of a bulky modifier, it should depend on weight divided by carry capacity or something, allowing strong aliens to have less of a slowdown when they use a heavy gun.

There isn't any kind of strength stat for races unless the alien races framework adds that in. You'd probably be better off basing it around their carry capacity or body size.

Roolo

Quote from: Diana Winters on November 01, 2017, 12:46:50 PM
Just a suggestions:

Nice idea, I didn't even know they added a bulk stat. Right now I want to keep the A17 and A18 version as similar as possible though, to keep things managable, but I'll definitely look into it when A18 stable is released.

Nice idea but the movement penalty is not implemented because the weapon is heavy and therefore slows the pawn down. If it was like that, it would make more sense to always apply the movement penatly while holding the gun, but that would be outside the scope of this mod.  Instead  I implemented the movement penalty because aiming while running should slow you down. With heavier (or bulkier) weapons, aiming is even harder while running, so hence the larger penalty. The fact that the pawn is strong shouldn't influence this too much, since even for strong paws, bulky weapons are still hard to aim with while running.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on November 01, 2017, 01:10:54 PMThere isn't any kind of strength stat for races unless the alien races framework adds that in. You'd probably be better off basing it around their carry capacity or body size.
That's why I said "weight divided by carry capacity or something". However thinking about it, carry capacity is a poor choice because browsing the mods will reveal items such as backpacks, which gives +75 carry capacity. Should a backpack make it faster to run and shoot at the same time?  :P

We need a strength stat for pawns to determine max carried weight, but that's totally out of the scope for this mod.

Quote from: Roolo on November 01, 2017, 02:08:18 PM

Nice idea but the movement penalty is not implemented because the weapon is heavy and therefore slows the pawn down. If it was like that, it would make more sense to always apply the movement penatly while holding the gun, but that would be outside the scope of this mod.
Good point. The one mod, one feature approach seems to be the right one as it allows players to pick what they want. Also the movement penalty for carried weight is already available in another mod.

Roolo

If anyone has experienced a bug that causes pawns to move very rapidly when running and gunning: that issue has been solved in the latest release now.

@Nightinggale
Yes I completely agree with you, I never like it when a mod contains extra stuff that is not within the purpose of the mod.

kubolek01

I had an useful bug. When the pawn stops when firing a burst, another one goes without warmup time.
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Roolo

Quote from: kubolek01 on November 02, 2017, 12:20:46 PM
I had an useful bug. When the pawn stops when firing a burst, another one goes without warmup time.

Haha that's pretty useful ^^. Thanks for letting me know, I'll add a fix to the next update, but since the bug isn't game breaking, I'll wait with releasing for some time (something like a week) now to give other minor bugs some time to come up. Only in case of major bugs I'll release quicker, but I don't expect any major bugs anymore at this point. So don't use the exploit too much until then ^^