Turrets

Started by klun222, October 18, 2017, 12:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klun222

Anyone feels like turrets are toooo eazy to build, not much resource and reserch costy, thus making killboxes eazy to build and overefective?

Suggestion:
What if the only way to have turret would be to craft a turret stand and mount a gun on it? Guns available to mount would be those who are semi-automatic or automatic.

Suggestion addon:
Turrets have to be maned somehow (by colonists).
Either each one seperatly or maned toghether by a maning console connected to turrets (then all turrets  shoot 1 target at the time). A colonists replacement for maning via maning console is an ai persona core.

What do you think?

CannibarRechter

> Turrets have to be maned somehow (by colonists).

MVT has two turrets like this. It actually wouldn't be hard at all to remove the base game turret, and add only the two turrets from MVT, if you wanted to play that way. Although I'm not sure what would happen to enemy basis, which typically have quite a few turrets.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

klun222

Quote from: CannibarRechter on October 18, 2017, 01:03:47 PM
> Turrets have to be maned somehow (by colonists).

MVT has two turrets like this. It actually wouldn't be hard at all to remove the base game turret, and add only the two turrets from MVT, if you wanted to play that way. Although I'm not sure what would happen to enemy basis, which typically have quite a few turrets.

Althrough MVT has a Vanilla name in it, those turrets are far from Vanilla friendly. Just an overly complex and too op mod.

SpaceDorf

I guess you meant something like this ?

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

CannibarRechter

Althrough MVT has a Vanilla name in it, those turrets are far from Vanilla friendly. Just an overly complex and too op mod.
[/quote]

Since we were talking about modding out the vanilla turrets, and ripping material from another mod, what we're talking about _modding_. The power level of the manned turrets from MVT is neither here nor there. Those are just numbers, and could be tweaked.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

TheMeInTeam

I'm a little confused by this suggestion.  In-game turrets are actually kind of crappy.  They are out-DPS'd by a normal-quality pistol, cost hundreds of steel (thousands for a decent number), draw a ton of power (can somewhat be handled by some battery micro), and are vulnerable to solar flares.  I'm not convinced someone truly min-maxing should use them at all.

Their best use is actually to manipulate sapper pathing, but that's a little awkward.

Yoshida Keiji

There's a lot of coward players around that rely on killbox and turrets.

I personally can't remember when was the last time I actually built a turret. And so far had never built a killbox yet.

Mostly because I play to launch the ship and never stay longer than 5 ~ 6 years, and always Lost Tribe.

I don't see need of turrets.

SpaceDorf

I never use the vanilla turrets, because of the statet reasons.

I prefer manned turrets, or the ones with a little more oomph to them.
But that's normally not happening before year 3 or 4 because I have so many other mod-researches to keep up with.

Most of my turrets I found lying around in enemy bases  ;D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

kubolek01

I never use killboxes, mainly sandbagged turrets plus manpower in need. Always works, be it 20 or 120 raiders (scaling the amount of course)
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

BetaSpectre

Last time I used turrets to good effect was like alpha 3b or so. I did so because AI sucked, and after 3-4 years you'd have thousands of pawns littering the map with each battle taking hours due to lag. The turrets weren't even good to shoot and alot were made unpowered as pawns would bunch up hundreds in a square and punch the turret then the turret would explode with all the items left out ready to be looted by colonists to resell to traders for steel to make more turrets. Without caravans/towns/deep drills I normally lost the colony sooner or later due to lack of resources.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

TheMeInTeam

Whether "x poster" uses turrets or not is irrelevant.

What matters is whether their cost proposition is too low, too high, or currently reasonable and the rationale to support why it's one of those.  You can beat the game with or without them.

To that effect, we need to compare turrets against alternative damage sources, most of which can also be used in killboxes (probably don't want to use mortars in a kill box much, too much wall repair).  When you do make that comparison, you find that turrets actually suck from a resource efficiency perspective, with one of their few redeeming features being that they can soak bullets without anybody dying.

Nerfing a niche build that people already overuse from a strict cost effectiveness point of view would be strange.  Nobody's calling for AR nerfs or LMG/minigun nerfs despite that these weapons are much stronger, and the latter two drastically outperform turrets in killboxes.  In a killbox, two turrets will struggle to match the DPS of one crappy LMG.

They can beat out deadfall traps, but not by much and not at all during flares.  Nerfing them is unfounded.

Bolgfred

I really like the idea of turrets having a special part required.
By now, turrets are a very spammable thing, which is, in my opinion, the biggest reason for killboxes. Why? Turrets need space and ressources, but are limitless scalable, which suits best to create a whole sphere to put them maximal effectivity on paper. In common we know this one as a killbox.

Let's say, every turret needs one part, the turret head. This one might be a quite rare item. I'd say they might be sold by exotic traders, produced at component bench and have a 25-50% chance to drop from spaceship parts.

Whenever a turret is obtained it is something special, which can dominate a perimeter. this makes a turret more a security backup that needs infantry support, instead of a spammable firstline solution.
To make them still not perfect I have 3 things in mind:

1. High energy cost
Same as for now, but in relation to new turret strength, which should be buffed. I think about a 300-500% performance buff so energy consumption should be around 1-2k

2. Firearm malfunction
A high chance for breakdown, which might not need a new component, but a pawn repairing the turret. One solution could be, that a turret looses 0,1-1hp per shot and cannot fire when under 50%. So it needs permanent maintenance.

3. AI malfunction
The turret might get a x % chance on going rampage with every shot, which ends in shooting randomly in 360° shape until it gets repared (which can only be done after first malfunction type or if no energy is provided.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil