Looking for ideas how to stop drug binges of chemical fascination chars.

Started by Mutineer, October 18, 2017, 04:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grishnerf

yeah burning them in campire would be the cheapest solution instead of using molotovs.

but a colony without drugs = no fun  :P
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

erdrik

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Grishnerf on October 19, 2017, 10:51:56 AM
yeah burning them in campire would be the cheapest solution instead of using molotovs.

Raiders carry molotovs and grenades before long, and these don't cost any wood so I'd argue they're cheaper options once available (faster too).

I don't care much either way whether colony uses drugs or not.  They have their place but there's lots of ways to build value in this game.

Grishnerf

Quote from: erdrik on October 19, 2017, 10:55:40 AM
Says you.
A colony WITH drugs = no fun.

yeah taste differs, for me most fun in this game is the chaotic nature of some mechanics.
a stable colony is boring for me.

@TheMeInTeam  sure, but i would use the grenades on more serious threats than some drugs on the ground.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Albion

I personally always grow lots of psychoid plants and turn them into yayo or flake.
They are a great commodity to sell because they weight practically nothing and have a high value so you can easily caravan them to the next outlander base and sell them for new bionics and whatever.

Also luciferium and wake-up will turn your master crafter into a crafting machine producing tons of art, weapons, whatever.

The occasional binge of a chemically fascinated character is an acceptable drawback in my opinion. Have them snort their flake if they want to... they look so happy afterwards ;D
To summarize how to deal with chemically facinated pawns:

• deal with it and let them go on binges
  • kill them
  • don't recruit them
  • send them on caravan duty without drugs
  • burn all your drugs
  • wall off your drugs

How to deal with addiciton:

• Supply the addiction and live with it
  • hock them on a high-joy drug instead to help them through withdrawl
  • wall them into a seperate enclosure and wait till the addiction is over

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Grishnerf on October 19, 2017, 11:16:07 AM
Quote from: erdrik on October 19, 2017, 10:55:40 AM
Says you.
A colony WITH drugs = no fun.

yeah taste differs, for me most fun in this game is the chaotic nature of some mechanics.
a stable colony is boring for me.

@TheMeInTeam  sure, but i would use the grenades on more serious threats than some drugs on the ground.

The grenade weapon is like any other weapon.  If a pawn is carrying it, you can keep throwing grenades non-stop until your pawn collapses from hunger or exhaustion, and you'll still have just as many as before.  Molotovs are the same way, though you obviously want to make sure the fire doesn't spread to things you care about.

Only stuff like doomsdays/triple rockets are lost on use.

Mutineer

My last colony was no drugs colony, so I wanted to try the good use of drug colony.
Yes, i did not pay attention to this stat at the start of a game as I had no idea how it will affect it. It really finished being micro-intensive char.

I wonder maybe send him to second, no drug base? I dod not played with 2 bases yes. I wonder is it too much micro to look after 2 bases?

Snafu_RW

While we're talking about drugs, what's the effective difference between "chemical interest" & "chemical fascination" traits? Wiki isn't clear (& sadly doesn't obviously group the two together).. Does either include Lucy?
Dom 8-)

Mutineer

Quote from: Snafu_RW on October 20, 2017, 06:06:30 PM
While we're talking about drugs, what's the effective difference between "chemical interest" & "chemical fascination" traits? Wiki isn't clear (& sadly doesn't obviously group the two together).. Does either include Lucy?

Very big. I have 2 of chemical interest guys. They binge only on soft drugs, ambrosia, Joints. alcohol. They are not interested in Hurd drugs.

Limdood

Quote from: Snafu_RW on October 20, 2017, 06:06:30 PM

interest pawns binge much more rarely.

fascination pawns binge OFTEN.

they will never binge on luciferium, and i'm not sure about ambrosia.

cultist

Long story short, there is no real way to deal with chem fascination/interest. Like pyromania and diseases, it's little more than a timed "fuck you" button that gets pressed every now and then and you have to deal with it. Beating your own pawns senseless or walling them in isn't really a solution, the damage done to your colony with these methods are about as large as the binges themselves cause. The best thing to do is avoid the trait in your starting group and turn down any junkies unless you're desperate for fresh bodies.

If you somehow end up with one anyway, I suggest you turn them into a drugged up super mercenary. Get them hooked on Go-Juice and Yayo, give them a good weapon and maybe some bionics and put them on the front line. The problem will then sort itself out eventually.

dkmoo

Easy - draft 3-4 pawns, remove their weapons, and have them beat the drug binger to a pulp. then heal him up.  with fists you rarely will leave a permanent mark. Just make sure you don't equip any chemical-fascinate traited pawns that can potentially go drug binge with any dangerous melee weapons like swords or spears b/c those can seriously hurt your "intervention" group.

I find this method the easiest with least impact to ur colony compared to the other popular methods, ie - walling off the drug, or going with 0 drug colony.

Limdood

Quote from: dkmoo on October 22, 2017, 12:28:03 PM
Easy - draft 3-4 pawns, remove their weapons, and have them beat the drug binger to a pulp. then heal him up.  with fists you rarely will leave a permanent mark. Just make sure you don't equip any chemical-fascinate traited pawns that can potentially go drug binge with any dangerous melee weapons like swords or spears b/c those can seriously hurt your "intervention" group.

I find this method the easiest with least impact to ur colony compared to the other popular methods, ie - walling off the drug, or going with 0 drug colony.
least impact?  This gives you:
-temporarily 4-5 pawns out of action
-risk of permanent injury (fingers, ears, noses are VERY easy to destroy with fists)
-risk of death (it happens, especially if they snag some pain-reducing drug)
-unpredictable binges with NO stimulus that can happen any time, for no reason at all, including during a raid, unlike normal mental breaks which can be mitigated by mood boosts.

Chemical traits, pyromaniac are honestly badly done traits, because they remove preparation from the equation.  You can plan for abrasive pawns, for brawler pawns, for jealous pawns, for volatile pawns, and any other kind of pawn, but there is no stopping the binges of pyro/chem pawns. 

dkmoo

Quote from: Limdood on October 22, 2017, 12:40:42 PM
Quote from: dkmoo on October 22, 2017, 12:28:03 PM

least impact?  This gives you:
-temporarily 4-5 pawns out of action
-risk of permanent injury (fingers, ears, noses are VERY easy to destroy with fists)
-risk of death (it happens, especially if they snag some pain-reducing drug)
-unpredictable binges with NO stimulus that can happen any time, for no reason at all, including during a raid, unlike normal mental breaks which can be mitigated by mood boosts.

Chemical traits, pyromaniac are honestly badly done traits, because they remove preparation from the equation.  You can plan for abrasive pawns, for brawler pawns, for jealous pawns, for volatile pawns, and any other kind of pawn, but there is no stopping the binges of pyro/chem pawns.

Well, let's look at the alternatives (at least my experience with my play style)

1) no drug colony - you give up a very lucrative source of revenue, usually not an option for me. Even so, the binger will still wonder aimlessly for a while....
2) Walling off:
      a) will occupy ur builder to deconstruct/reconstruct the wall. will need a few haulers to haul whatever's outside the walled off area. and will need them again to haul them back out into ur orbital trader area once the binge is finished. Plus the micro involved to make sure you don't wall the binger into the wall as he makes the made-dash into the drug stash.
      b) All this takes time to finish, and the binger usually can still get few doses off before the wall is complete. depending on what he takes that can result in addiction.
      c) Granted i've use this method a lot too, esp in early game. But once late game starts where you got a lot of things going on and a big stash of yayo for sale, i just can't be bothered to do all of that..  :P

Drafting on the other hand -
1) "temporarily 4-5 out of action" - well, the binger will always be out of action, plus the binger's mood will usually be low (before he takes the first drug) that a few punches is all that's needed to bring him down. Plus you save 3-4 pawns from building wall/hauling drugs back a forth.
2) risk of injury to drafters - key is to bring the binger down fast so maybe one of drafters will suffer a few punches from the binger. As long as the binger doesn't have dangers melee weapons, that's a minimal risk and the injury to the one drafter doesn't necessarily need to even be treated (since no open cut).
3) risk to binger - some permanent dmg can be fixed. and if I accidentally kill him, yes that's a risk but it's one i'm willing to live with, esp in late game. the upside of that is that after the "dead colonist" debuff expires, your "drug binger" problem will be permanently resolved.  ;)

I don't disagree with you that it's a riskier solution, and the walling off is probably better during early games. And yes, there will be "sh1t hit the fan" situations that nothing's really a perfect solution. But in late games with large colony, to me, drafting is the quickest way to end the binger and the risk i can live with.

Mutineer

At the end of the day, my current solution seems to work. I basically leave drugs in my workshop room, far away from research room my problematic pawn usually works. Workshop room always has a bunch of people working, so when pawn going to binge and makes run to drug pile, I arm people in the workroom with wood and try to arrest him before he gets first dose. If he resists, they beat him with a wood stick which seems to work remarkably well.