[1.3] Miscellaneous w MAI+Robots

Started by Haplo, May 16, 2014, 05:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

That's strange. I thought MAIs didn't eat.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

skullywag

If youre using edbs interface either switch to the default bill interface (in the interface options menu) or make sure edb is up to date.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Undecided

I've been noticing that on large maps, if MAI have to travel to the opposite end, it's not uncommon that they can become incapacitated and explode from lack of "sleep". It would seem the pawn AI doesn't really seem to care whether they can travel to a location and back before bedtime... or maybe it's a low priority in the default pawn AI, since normal pawns don't self-destruct when past curfew. Or it could just be the relatively recent winter patch, and snowfall screwing with the pawn AI's travel time predictions.

In any case, I'm wondering if you ever considered increasing increasing the MAI battery lifespan (i.e., making them need to sleep less often), or even forgoing sleep entirely? You could even add a work speed penalty to compensate, so MAI units will still get the same amount of work done daily even if they sleep less or not at all.

Rock5

Quote from: Undecided on March 06, 2015, 04:55:53 PMIn any case, I'm wondering if you ever considered increasing increasing the MAI battery lifespan (i.e., making them need to sleep less often)
I don't think that would work because MAI might still start a long trip with insufficient power.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Undecided

Quote from: Rock5 on March 06, 2015, 07:59:58 PM
Quote from: Undecided on March 06, 2015, 04:55:53 PMIn any case, I'm wondering if you ever considered increasing increasing the MAI battery lifespan (i.e., making them need to sleep less often)
I don't think that would work because MAI might still start a long trip with insufficient power.

True, I suppose. A solution would either have to be completely eliminating the need for sleep, rather than reducing it... or alternatively, make tiredness non-lethal. Like having a MAI just power down where it is so another MAI can recover it and bring it back. But that option would still be a pain since it doesn't solve the stupid pawn AI problem, but at least it makes the penalty less severe than losing the MAi entirely.

shhfiftyfive

maybe instead of exploding mai when battery dies... maybe she just powers down and needs assistance getting to her charge pad.

maybe there's a way to code it so a normal colonist could select her when she is powered down, with the "recharge" option (like arrest/rescue/capture)?? and the colonist would take her to her charge pad??

Rock5

Or maybe she could have a solar panel that provides just enough trickle power to keep her moving slowly, so she can make it back to her charger on her own.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Undecided

Quote from: shhfiftyfive on March 07, 2015, 04:43:31 AM
maybe instead of exploding mai when battery dies... maybe she just powers down and needs assistance getting to her charge pad.

maybe there's a way to code it so a normal colonist could select her when she is powered down, with the "recharge" option (like arrest/rescue/capture)?? and the colonist would take her to her charge pad??

The code for that function pretty much already exists right now. When a MAI is incapacitated due being very near self-destruct time, you can right click and "rescue MAI" and have a pawn carry it back to a charging station (bed). The only reason it doesn't work now is because the MAI usually self-destructs seconds later after it's incapacitated, meaning there's no time to reach the charging station.

It's a good stop-gap measure, but I think a no-sleep MAI would be the best option since it completely negates the losses you take due to the stupid pawn AI. The other options suggested of just shutting down when tired, or moving slowly when tired, reduce the penalty, but do not negate it. Personally, I don't think the player should be penalized at all if the mistakes are due to poor pathfinding pawn AI, since getting punished for the mistakes of others can be frustrating. But others are entitled to disagree.

skullywag

Haplo why is it everytime i get a trader im always waiting for that 1 old dude.....every....time.

I know its not your doing but dayam, ive had hundreds of traders all of em with 1 frail old due hobbling across the map making everyone starve as they dont complete their "were here" job until that 1 guy turns up.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Rauminen

Right, so I don't think the current AI works with the exploding on low power mechanics.

I had MAI shut down & blow herself up in the hands of someone rescuing her - right in front of the base fixing a wall once, then inside, minutes from her bed, while happily mining rock (not even steel or plasteel). She just refuses to go to charge in time. This happens with normal pawns sometimes as well, but they of course can recover.

I did try to sedate her, still blew up. :)
So as it is now she's not really a useful part of the community at the moment.

Haplo

Did you use the Sedate and Rescue option? As long as she is sedated she shouldn't explode..

But I'll build something in the next build where she'll go to her bed automatically if her batteries are too low and she isn't drafted. But it will take a while, as I am right now building something with Mai, which will take a while longer..

Undecided

Yeah, that's an option too. I only suggested the "never sleep" MAI because it struck me as the solution that would take the least amount of code to fully solve the problem. Some sort of forced AI override could also work as well, but -- and keep in mind I'm not a veteran modder or anything -- but I'm worried that some sort of AI behavioural override would be both difficult to implement in code, and would run the considerable risk of causing all sorts of other bugs with AI decision making. I could very well be wrong, so if you think you could do it, more power to you.

Vonholtz

Quote from: Rock5 on March 06, 2015, 12:18:46 PM
That's strange. I thought MAIs didn't eat.
It dose not eat but it seem it dose drink like a fish. LoL  :) lock up your beer the drunk robot on the lose.  It would be nice if it gave the MAI some power but it at best funny.

Rock5

Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Ryusho

I have found my favorite part of this is the Turret base, that being said, I found trying the Wave Defense mod, that...If you put sniper rifles in these turret bases, You..have some -very- effective defense as though they shoot slow, they are -incredibly- accurate, normally putting a target down in one shot.