[1.3] Miscellaneous w MAI+Robots

Started by Haplo, May 16, 2014, 05:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rditto48801

Quote from: Haplo on March 28, 2015, 07:06:51 PM
Quote from: rditto48801 on March 28, 2015, 01:20:53 PM
Two questions
Do Enhanced MAIs lack the social skill and warden ability, or is it only the standard MAI that lacks them?
What gun is that on the automated weapon base in the image showing the MAI production chain and weapon bases? (and where does one find it?)

Both MAIs don't have any social skills. They are robots, why should they care about social stuff? ;)

*gets nervous twitch*
Why would a robot care or have social skills?
(wall of text/rant inbound)
Commander Data from Star Trek comes to mind.
A few holodeck characters from Star Trek have seemingly gained sentience and the ability to care (at least to care about their own existence)
Then there is HK-47 from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (he needs someone to call "meat bag" after all, and he would be good at the job despite the fact he would rather shoot someone than talk to them, but he's good at following orders to not shoot people... usually. I think someone gave him Protocol Droid stuff, since he is a disgruntled translator at times...)
Protocol Droids from Star Wars. Built specifically to communicate with humans (usually as translators)
Dot Matrix from Spaceballs.
Chip from the movie Not Quite Human at least gets close enough to appear to care.
At least one gynoid from Ghost in the Shell pole vaults out of the Uncanny Valley (one that restrains 'her' owner/master without warning, before he was able to do something that would have got him shot, rather than helping him to escape)
Also, the Tachicomas (spelling?) from Ghost in the Shell. (They are robots that care AND that can pack enough firepower to make a Centipede wet itself and can outrun a Scyther and rip off Spiderman to boot, mixed in with child like innocence/curiosity.)
Naomi Armitage from Armitage The Third/Dual Matrix knows one that cares. (other than the one that becomes a plot advancement device early on)
Lots of Androids/Gynoids from both the above settings are capable of caring for and communicating with people, and even used as companions, even though they are just complex robots, then can 'appear' to care, simply by being programmed to. (that said, since one of the MAI research things is 'caring' for people, it should include psychologically and not just physically, that is being able to talk even if not capable of having any sort of emotional or social reason to do so other than to support the mental well being of others)
Casts/Caseals from Phantasy Star Onine. (kind of of an example...)
Technically the Bioroids from Appleseed. (some care about humans)
Sonny from the movie I, Robot.
WALL-E and EVE from the movie WALL-E. (By the looks of MAI, you already know who EVE is...)
That robot gal from Metropolis comes to mind. (the old B&W Silent Movie version was well worth watching... sort of undecided on the anime adaptation...)
Such robots probably also exist in every other movie/anime/cartoon/comic/manga with sci-fi themes.
Any robot/AI that could pass the Turing Test could achieve such things simply through extreme complexity, even if they didn't 'care' about anything in the first place.

So, lots and lots and LOTS of reasons why robots could care, or otherwise appear to care, even if they were still heartless, soulless, emotionless machines that couldn't 'care' about anything in the first place, beyond the simple act of emulating the appearance of caring.

That said, I would think that the Enhanced MAI would have social skills, seeing they need an AI Persona Core thing.

Even if it does not get added to the mod, could you at least tell those of us with basic modding skills, who want MAIs to care, what we need to tweak to give an Enhanced MAI the ability to be social and even handle the Warden task?

Random crazy idea... giving a colonist a 'cyber-brain'/'brain case' like Ghost in the Shell, and plugging 'that' into an MAI in place of an AI Persona Core thing... (to heck with adding stuff to the body, add the brain to another body... Like Full Prosthetic Bodies from Ghost in the Shell.)
Always (less than) eager to stockpile 3 metric tons of steel to replicate a useful gun.

Dr. Watson. Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.

Haplo

I'm still not convinced that MAI should have a social skill part.
But maybe I'll add it for the enhanced MAI, BUT with a skill of 0 to start with. She'll have the enhanced learn ability but 0 skill to start with. That way she can LEARN to be socially adept, but doesn't start out with it.

Dragoon

hmmm a surgery to install a human brain that was harvested into an mai...
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

rditto48801

Quote from: Haplo on March 29, 2015, 03:48:38 PM
I'm still not convinced that MAI should have a social skill part.
But maybe I'll add it for the enhanced MAI, BUT with a skill of 0 to start with. She'll have the enhanced learn ability but 0 skill to start with. That way she can LEARN to be socially adept, but doesn't start out with it.

Perhaps you could make it as an optional module that adds a new research that enables it.
That way those who want it can have it, and those who don't want it can ignore the optional module. Put simply, an option defended by "If you don't like it, don't use it."

Data from Star Trek again comes to mind, of how his character evolved over many seasons and through several movies. Going from socially inept/ignorant despite all his knowledge to being a little more relateable, if not still having his own quirks. And having an antisocial sort of 'older brother' Lore...

Quote from: Canute on March 29, 2015, 05:29:46 PM
Shouldn't you rename it to ELIZA then ? :-)
Maybe start a poll, but i vote against Social skill.

But someone mention at some other thread about a full body protese, like at Ghost in the shell. Maybe you can transfer the pawn-brain/knowledge into a MAI body.
These MAI/pawn hybrid can have social skills :-)

Yeah, after I posted my previous post here, I brought up that subject (Ghost in the Shell Cyberbrains and full Prosthetic Bodies) in the Cybernetic Storm thread, of skipping augmenting the body, augmenting the brain, yanking it out and tossing it in a fully artificial body.
Also, end of my previous post, line starting with "Random crazy idea..."

Quote from: Dragoon on March 29, 2015, 05:58:25 PM
hmmm a surgery to install a human brain that was harvested into an mai...
For best results, use Prosthophile. For worst results, use Prosthophobe and for the love of all that is good and nice don't give them a weapon.
Always (less than) eager to stockpile 3 metric tons of steel to replicate a useful gun.

hector212121

Make MAI nicknamable.

Edit:...I think one of my non-enhanced AIs just got...beat to death by a medi-charge station.

rditto48801

Quote from: hector212121 on March 29, 2015, 07:55:45 PM
Make MAI nicknamable.
The long name may 'hide' the first rename option, but there is a second place to find the rename option.

Select the MAI in question.
Select the "i" to the right of the name in the info box on the lower left of the screen.
This brings up a Stats window, select the Character tab at the top.
Under the Character tab, to the right of the name is the secondary location of the rename colonist icon.
Of note, the game doesn't save names with spaces properly, so use underscores if needed.
The best example is their default name, Mobile_Artificial_Intelligence.

Edit:
(minor tweak)

Your MAI got beat to death with what?
*scratches head*

Edit 2:
Bug report.
Been noticing MAI will, on rare occasion, try to drink something, but not finish. After accidentally leaving dev mod on after testing something earlier, and saw an error relating to MAI not drinking stuff pop up, and figured I would report it just in case.
Of note, I have seen this happen with base game beer, although this particular time it was a drink from another mod.

JobDriver threw exception in initAction. Pawn=Mai_Alpha, Job=Ingest(A=Espresso3145115, B=(-1000, -1000, -1000)), Exception: System.ArgumentException: SplitOff with count <= 0

Parameter name: count

at Verse.Thing.SplitOff (Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Verse.ThingWithComponents.SplitOff (Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RimWorld.Meal.SplitOff (Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Verse.Thing.Ingested (Verse.Pawn ingester, Single nutritionWanted) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RimWorld.Meal.Ingested (Verse.Pawn eater, Single nutritionWanted) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RimWorld.Toils_Ingest+<FinishChewing>c__AnonStorey15F.<>m__9B () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Verse.AI.JobDriver.BeginNextToil () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Latta

rditto48801

Quote from: Latta on March 29, 2015, 09:32:45 PM
Yes, MAI is famous for her alcoholic love!
And for a love of smoking and drinking coffee/espresso when mixing other mods with the NotOnlyBeer mod.

A robot that drinks beer and smokes cigars... I can't help but think this is building up to one big unintended Futurama reference...  The only thing missing is bending stuff and belching fire... (and there is a mod that adds a flamethrower...)

hector212121

I have no idea. One of my injured MAIs went to a recharge station, and then it said "Mai has been beaten to death."

rditto48801

Quote from: hector212121 on March 30, 2015, 07:02:57 AM
I have no idea. One of my injured MAIs went to a recharge station, and then it said "Mai has been beaten to death."

An injured MAI?
You should make sure they are allowed to be a Patient and can get to a medical bed ASAP.

An MAI will quickly 'bandage' their own wounds when in a medical bed, then go back to their usual tasks.
That way they don't wander around injured, 'bleed to death', and then blow up someplace (possibly important) in the colony...

hector212121

They were IN the medical charge station. That's when they were 'beaten to death'...

rditto48801

Quote from: hector212121 on March 30, 2015, 12:04:01 PM
They were IN the medical charge station. That's when they were 'beaten to death'...
Oh, so the Recharge Station in question was set as a Medical Bed, and not personally assigned to the MAI in question?
Edit:
Also, did the Recharge Station have an adjacent Nanite Assembler with Plasteel in it?

Haplo

The beaten to death MAI could be just that she died there. I use a special command to make Mai unconscious when the sleep level is too low. It may have been that what brought you the beaten to death message, but it should normally not happen inside the recharge station. Hmm, only when she received some kind of damage that killed her..

hector212121

Perhaps add a AI Pawn Reactivating station? So if one of your MAIs die, you can salvage them into, well, another AI pawn, maybe for just gold or the plasteel?