what do i do if i know someone who pireted the game

Started by juscites, October 19, 2017, 11:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juscites

I know a person who has prieted the game I even have prof we have  multiple messages talking that he got the game for free I'm just wondering is that against the terms and survices because if it is I would like to tell one of the staff or something I rally don't know what to do can anyone help me?
also I don't mean pirates in the game

SubZeroBricks

You have to call the Police and arrest the heathen pirate in the name of our glorious leader Tynan.
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

OFWG

Unless you're the police or that person's parent you don't have any duty to do anything at all.

Your heart's in the right place but don't worry about it :)
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

gipothegip

If you know where he got it, you should report the source.

Precedence is that your friend probably won't get into trouble, it's not easy to track down and enforce such things on the individual level.

Furthermore, pirating is treated more so as fraud & counterfeiting rather than outright theft, so I think the appropriate thing would be to flag the distributors if you're concerned about it. They're typically more concerned with the illegal redistribution.

I'm not a law professional, however, so take that with a grain of salt.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Aedesia

You might try firing mortar shells at them till they flee.

asanbr

I like to build walls on the map such that pirates end up walking past mech ships (after activation), getting into an interesting fight that the pirates usually lose.

freemapa

I think you should tell the person that you really enjoy RimWorld and that you believe in supporting the development of great games. See if you can get them to agree to purchase a legit copy of the game if they end up playing it a lot.

Pirating software will always be a thing because so many games aren't worth the pile of bits they are made from. But true game developers are artists, and they deserve to be compensated for the enjoyment they bring to others.

Bozobub

Putting yourself in the position of "enforcer of laws" (unless you actually happen to be one, of course) can cause you worlds of social, legal, and personal trouble.  If they are nailed and they blame *you*, as an easy example, you'd better hope they're relatively civilized about the matter; being morally correct does not deflect fists to the face, or even worse =o!

Freemapa has given — in my opinion, of course — the proper approach.  Remember, it's best to lead by example.  Plus, no matter how useful they may be, in the end no one likes a narc, that simple.
Thanks, belgord!

BetaSpectre

Delete his version and tell him to buy the real one :DD
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

AlwaysBugged

Just ignore it and move on.

You're not a cop, you're not the IP holder. Tynan probably knows exactly where he got it and he can't do anything about it either. You can't fight piracy. Entire multi-billion dollar industries tried and failed miserably.

If you want to do something about it, tell him to just advertise the game, maybe he'll generate some sales.

CannibarRechter

All the posts to ignore it are the thing to do. Most IP holders after a while realize something about pirates: they're not customers. Sounds obvious put that way, doesn't it?

Anyway, back on topic, you should kill him, butcher him, eat him, and convert his skin into a duster and cowboy hat.  LOL.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

RemingtonRyder

Find out why they pirated it.

And then maybe talk about it.

There has been so much focus on technological and legal approaches to combating piracy, when possibly a cheaper approach would be to just talk to people. With the wonders of today's technology you can talk to a lot of people at once if you do a live stream or a video.

BlueLance213

Just because he got the game for free doesn't mean he pirated it. Just a small heads-up.

I also got it for free.

Mkok