What size of map everyone playing?

Started by Mutineer, October 20, 2017, 04:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lykia

Since I like making large colony I prefer large maps also it's a lot fun than normal size

Bolgfred

I mostly play smallest or standard. Never had problems with expanding my base. Except for Tundra, where it feels to be more swampy which blocks large parts of the map sometimes.

The big benefit of smaller maps, in my opinion, is that animals are easier to reach as they cannot run too far away (Map border 300 tiles away instead of 500).
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

JohnLemon

I always play on maps with max size. I don't like borders and feeling that you stuck in the cage.
Best online-games, news and reviews

Devon_v

I play maximum Ludeoncrilous. I'm not one of those people who just leaves the game at speed 4 all day, so lag is not an issue. (Also lag is not an issue in general with a decent CPU)

The other map sizes just seem so confining. You build one compound and you're already at the edge of the map. On a max map you can build a small fortress with outlying farm lands and blockhouses and still have space between you at the raid spawns.

BetaSpectre

Prefer the largest setting to give a more realistic feel about how base defenses would really work, but now I play the smallest map to avoid lag better.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Mst

Perhaps I'm a bit off topic but could people playing on larger maps please share their pc specs (guess it's mainly cpu and ram that matter) and the amount of mods running?

I also prefer map to be as large as I can (as my pc can). Was always some of the two large sizes. Playing with at least 30 mods. Not hugely overpopulated colony I guess about 10-16 colonists max and a herd of animals but I usually like to make it as advanced as possible utilizing maximum of the mod content (energy, temperature systems, lots of benches with additional functionalities for the efficient workflow, cool turret defenses, spaceport and stuff like that, this time I'd like to add hygiene and maybe factorio kind of mod).

I would like to estimate the maximum size I can handle with my i7 4770k 3.5 GHz and 16gb RAM (780Ti if gpu matters). Any advice on max map size for these specs would be great!

And a follow up question, which kinds of mods are the most performance heavy?

Rearden

Quote from: Mst on November 12, 2017, 08:20:07 PM
Perhaps I'm a bit off topic but could people playing on larger maps please share their pc specs (guess it's mainly cpu and ram that matter) and the amount of mods running?

I also prefer to choose the largest size possible with at least 30 mods. Not hugely overpopulated colony I guess about 10-16 colonists max and a herd of animals but I usually like to make it as advanced as possible utilizing maximum of the mod content (energy, temperature systems, lots of benches with additional functionalities for the efficient workflow, cool turret defenses, spaceport and stuff like that, this time I'd like to add hygiene and maybe factorio kind of mod).

I would like to estimate the maximum size I can handle with my i7 4770k 3.5 GHz and 16gb RAM (780Ti if gpu matters). Any advice on max map size for these specs would be great!

And a follow up question, which kinds of mods are the most performance heavy?
My machine specs are comparable. My processor is AMD though. My GPU is Nvidia 1050TI. I typically play second largest. I do see some slowdown late game, but take anything I say with a grain of salt. I play heavily modded. as for which are most performance heavy, it's hard to tell. anything that increases the number of ticking pawns will get expensive after a while depending on how many.

Mst

Quote from: canth1000 on November 13, 2017, 02:08:48 AM
anything that increases the number of ticking pawns will get expensive after a while depending on how many.
Do ticking pawns include only colonists, raids and animals or does it have more broad meaning?

Yoshida Keiji

Model Name:   MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacBookPro9,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:   2.3 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  Total Number of Cores:   4
  L2 Cache (per Core):   256 KB
  L3 Cache:   6 MB
  Memory:   4 GB
  Boot ROM Version:   MBP91.00D7.B00
  SMC Version (system):   2.1f175

This Mac was bought for my DJ-ing but I have installed Civilization V and RW plus VIRB edit (Like a GoPro camera application but for VIRB) as I'm an outdoorsy & traveler to edit videos. But once I get full gigs around cities, only the DJ stuff will remain, I need fast rebooting in a live venue.

I play Vanilla only. The two largest sizes cause some minimal bearable lag and some delay when I switch from the game to RimWorld Wiki to do edits.

CannibarRechter

> In-game, every now and then I can see my pawns walking and then doing a small pull back like if a ghost was pulling his shirt from behind.

Rubber banding. Yeah, I thought that was just me. In my games, sometimes when big raids come in, I can see the raiders do this. It's strange, because it's not just popping back to where they WERE; instead, it's more like the blob of raiders is  this flexible ball of rubber or something.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Rearden

Quote from: Mst on November 13, 2017, 05:29:37 AM
Quote from: canth1000 on November 13, 2017, 02:08:48 AM
anything that increases the number of ticking pawns will get expensive after a while depending on how many.
Do ticking pawns include only colonists, raids and animals or does it have more broad meaning?
basically anything that moves on a map. any humanlike or animal that's active.

Kirby23590

I prefer Default or 275x275 or maybe 300x300 and 325x325.

It runs fine. But i don't want to risk a some or a major lag in late game with ludeonicrous sized maps.

I will need that for having more space building my colony. (Yes i build in outdoors.) And mining materials. It does help but the cons of having a large map is when having a space chunk drop or a useful cargo pods containing medicine drop off near the edge of the map. You have walk very far away. And hunting, most of the animals will stay near the borders of the map and of course walking there to hunt for food...
and friendly caravans will take time to reach your colony depending where you built it and where they spawned.

But the pros of having a large map, with raids or manhunter packs arriving. Depending where you built your colony is that it will take them time to reach your colony while preparing your defenses. and of course raining mortar on em'. With larger maps, harvesting and mining resources is a bit more plentiful, and there would be more steam geysers appearing but the problem with steam geysers in those maps is most of the time that they would appear far away from your colony. Larger maps also has a increasing chance of a ancient ruins appearing in numbers. (Don't know if its a pro or a con, i say it's neutral)

Well that's all i got to say! Sometimes i go default but i eat up some resources in the map quickly sometimes. ;D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Mst

Has anyone experienced ludeonicrous sizes in late game with mods? Are they as laggy as legend tells?
Should I stay away of them with my specs?

CannibarRechter

I use 325x325. They can get a bit laggy, but you can generally tolerate it if you use RuntimeGC.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Mst

Quote from: CannibarRechter on November 13, 2017, 07:47:12 PM
I use 325x325. They can get a bit laggy, but you can generally tolerate it if you use RuntimeGC.

Tolerable even with bunch of mods or only vanilla?