Jungle roads are so slow as to make caravaning impractical

Started by YokoZar, October 21, 2017, 07:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YokoZar

I started a game in a tropical region along a Jungle road expecting to make occasional trades with the nearby villages, only to find that it takes about a week to travel 6 tiles and back along a road.  The current travel time for Jungle is over five times longer than arid shrubland, almost as long as traveling through snow.

Roads only halve travel time, and base Jungle move time is really high.  This seems like the wrong mechanic -- a road through anywhere should probably be faster than most rough terrain.

Canute

It was your choise to settle on the jungle, with the pro and contra of the jungle.
And one big contra is the travel time, maybe just request caravans to your base or use Pod launcher.
Maybe use the Dropship or Reuse pod mod.

Wanderer_joins

Welcome to the jungle! I agree that's this is a huge downside without many upsides at this point.

In my last jungle colony it took actually 1 year to visit nearby factions https://imgur.com/a/hlt1W

Maybe there could biome specific quests/ NPC traders

CannibarRechter

> It was your choise to settle on the jungle, with the pro and contra of the jungle.

I think he was thinking, as he hinted, that roads wouldn't be subject to the same penalties as the terrain itself. I agree with him. Weather conditions should change the roads, though. Snow obviously, and even rain (mud).
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

ArguedPiano

A road moving through a Jungle, without constant upkeep, would be very difficult to traverse.
Fallen trees, flood washouts, and aggressive overgrowth would make even the most dedicated workers frustrated.
What are the chances of those kind of 'Road Keepers' on a Rim World?
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

CannibarRechter

> What are the chances of those kind of 'Road Keepers' on a Rim World?

There are villages and settlements strewn across the map. Travelers would be regularly performing this work. Nearby settlements, which benefit heavily from trade, would send out teams to some of the closer blockages.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Bozobub

...And local warlords almost certainly would add tolls of some sort, which are sorely lacking in this context.
Thanks, belgord!

sadpickle

Maybe Tynan could add the option of using rivers as a type of road in caravan mode. I just watched a movie, The Lost City of Z, about the explorer Percy Fawcett. His exploration party utilized the river to travel deep into uncharted territory (modern-day Brazil).

asanbr

Quote from: Bozobub on October 22, 2017, 02:25:35 PM
...And local warlords almost certainly would add tolls of some sort, which are sorely lacking in this context.

Well you have the random ambushes by pirates, and sometimes they will allow you to go if you give them all your stuff. Not exactly tolls, but the second case is not far.

Vlad0mi3r

Yes the benefits of the tropical lifestyle are often offset by the difficulties of moving about the map.

But hang on what is that on the horizon a colonist with a machete hacking a road through the dense jungle. Maybe he could turn it into a paved road or maybe even a highway. What madness you think as you watch him get eaten by a panther that ran across the full map to take him out. Silly bugger.

If you are not Marty Mcfly you might want this Mod:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35907.msg369025#msg369025
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

TheMeInTeam

Jungle road should still be faster than rough terrain of any variety.  The presence of a road at all suggests at least a minimum degree of maintenance, and the game's time scale is usually < 10 years time passing.

I always am amused by people talking about supposed "benefits" of jungle...but also a little annoyed.  This is easily the most anti-fun (not !fun!) biome in the game.  It confers little to no real advantage over year-round growing regions of arid shrubland or temperate forest, and the only "challenge" variance is that you get to micromanage diseases more frequently since if left to the AI pawns die, but if micromanaged heavily they can be saved.

Sleeping sickness is the worst.  With a halfway competent doctor and herbal meds you can even skip bedrest, but you have to constantly manually watch the tending and patch the pawn again as soon as it runs out...usually for multiple people. 

For tribes penoxy production is a good way off to justify researching as a priority, and with the way it works now it's quite obnoxious to use anyway...sufficiently annoying that you're generally better served just buying some medicine from traders and slapping that on diseases.

I'd rather play a tribe starting on 0 growing day tundra or extreme desert.  These have more challenge and much less tedium.

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on October 23, 2017, 10:39:30 AM
I always am amused by people talking about supposed "benefits" of jungle...but also a little annoyed.  This is easily the most anti-fun (not !fun!) biome in the game.  It confers little to no real advantage over year-round growing regions of arid shrubland or temperate forest, and the only "challenge" variance is that you get to micromanage diseases more frequently since if left to the AI pawns die, but if micromanaged heavily they can be saved.

Yet again thanks for sharing your contrary opinion. This thread is about movement through a jungle on roads. Not diseases or if something annoys you or not. My troll senses are triggered so I will stop feeding now.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

sadpickle

stuff
I like that they are brutal in their own way. That's what makes the biomes in the game so interesting. They're not all same-y. A jungle is typically notorious for the high rates of disease and lethal predators, and Rimworld models that well. If anything I wish there was some more variation, like, a higher incidence of Ancient Dangers or something like that in jungles (owing to their remoteness). Maybe a Mad Animal event that are actually savage pawns with no faction allegiance; they just emerge from the thick looking to drive you away. More incentives to brave the wilderness.

You are always free to not roll in the jungle. They are so challenging that I am extremely reluctant to start a serious game there. But I wouldn't want them to NOT be there. The world map is huge even at 30% coverage and has plenty of variety.

BetaSpectre

IRL travel was pretty slow by foot but you could travel the entire world within the span of about a year. From east to west USA would take you some weeks or so. The problem is that roads don't really give enough buffs imo, and you can't make more for some reason

Rimworld really needs wagons, drop pods do make a noticable difference though and are a good vanilla alternative to normal caravans for quite a bit. Though there is a drop ship mod that allows you to construct ships good enough to carry stuff for sale.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on October 23, 2017, 06:15:57 PM

Yet again thanks for sharing your contrary opinion. This thread is about movement through a jungle on roads. Not diseases or if something annoys you or not. My troll senses are triggered so I will stop feeding now.

When someone points out that "jungle is supposed to have cons to go with pros of playing there", it is on-topic to point out that they don't actually possess meaningful pros.  It's already a punitive biome in an unfun way, and making roads suck in them too does nothing to add to their experience.

QuoteA jungle is typically notorious for the high rates of disease and lethal predators
I guess it would be fine if disease wasn't itself poorly implemented as a heavy micro-fest.  Lethal predators though?  No way.  If there is any biome where you're likely to lose pawns to BS predator attacks, it's not jungle.  Ice sheet, extreme desert, desert, and tundra are all significantly more likely to have animals target a pawn without notification.

I do avoid the jungle, but I'd rather have an option that adds something meaningful to the experience beyond "time-precision treat pawns a lot more frequently".  Aside from that, it's a year-round growing temperate forest with somewhat different animals and terrible caravan time, not that it's often worthwhile to caravan much pre-drop pods anyway.  That biome could replace its current hassle-fest with something more interesting.