Smarter hunting / ui improvements and finding animals on map

Started by asanbr, October 22, 2017, 02:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asanbr

Hunting could be made smarter. Some suggestions:

The hunting job could have bills just like crafting benches where you tell people to hunt specific animals, a number of them or unlimited, and so on.
The selection for animals could be grouped into types depending on how aggressive/dangerous they are, and/or meat yield. Or some other relevant metric.
With the option of choosing specific animal types only, of course.

This would reduce the annoying process of pausing the game to scan for animals and / or selecting the wrong ones.

I had some other suggestions but the above would actually cover all of them quite well, so I'll stop there.

It would also make sense if we could scroll through wild animals in the same way as we can scroll through colonists with , and .  buttons (but other buttons and no mixing, of course).

It is really annoying on maps with few animals to find the few that exist, somewhere, especially ice sheet when looking for snow hares, and such where graphics doesn't exactly help.

Daimonin

I agree, I rarely bother with hunting simply because it's so annoying to deal with. Especially since due to the annoyance of finding individual animals to hunt, the best deal is to hunt herd animals like  deer, etc. But considering those have a chance of going berserk, you are really risking just tagging them to hunt. So you still have to take the whole militia down to take them all out in one quick go.

Hunting does need a rework, at the least I'd say prey animals should never attack hunters, at least not the whole herd. The one animal going nuts? Fine. 2 or 3 of it's friends too? Eeeeh.... THe whole herd? No. Or even better, animals that get angry due to hunting should return to normal after disabling/killing the hunter, not go hunting for every human on the map.

The current system is hard yes, but it also doesn't ADD any fun to the game, quite the opposite it just makes a whole branch of play (subsistence hunting) way more micromanagement then it needs to be. And that's NOT fun.

As an side note, I strongly suggest the Wildlife Tab mod (by lincore) in the meantime, as at least it makes finding the small individual animals much easier. It's also saved my colony a few times when I didn't notice an Infestation that had survived my first extermination.

PatrykSzczescie

About the smarter hunting, I don't mind looking for individual animals, also I doubt automatic hunting would be implemented, but maybe there could be a popped up message about which animals entered the area.

But I think about something quite different. I also don't mind doing it manually, but I wish hunters could approach to a sleeping quarry before shooting and not be too close while carrying on execution with explosives or on explosive animals.

Songleaves

I just wish melee hunting was allowed. Right now I have to manually have a melee colonist go around owning squirrels/rabbits/rats/etc, and then have to manually unforbid every dead animal.

Daimonin

@Songleaves

I believe if an animal as marked for hunting, it will not be auto-forbidden when it dies.

Bolgfred

Quote from: Daimonin on October 22, 2017, 09:08:52 PM
@Songleaves

I believe if an animal as marked for hunting, it will not be auto-forbidden when it dies.
Animals will be forbidden if the hunter gets somewhat interrupted while hunting. This happens when the animal fights back and the pawn is hurt too much. Then he goes for hospital and cancels the hunting, which leaves animals getting killed by natural or something, which will be auto forbidden.
The other way would be when the animal bleeds out instead of getting shot. Sometimes this can interrupt hunting business, but will mostly happen when a missing shot knocks out a second animal.

For all your hunting wishes there exists a mod named 'colony manager' which adds a management tab where you can select animal types for auto select. It also unforbid forbidden corpses, which are left by hunters or predators.

As for me, it feels very vanilla and makes the hunting thing a very big less annoying.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Bolgfred on October 23, 2017, 05:45:23 AM

For all your hunting wishes there exists a mod named 'colony manager' which adds a management tab where you can select animal types for auto select. It also unforbid forbidden corpses, which are left by hunters or predators.

links please

Colony Manager

and here is the tab which shows you every untamed critter on your map ..
Wildlife Tab
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Bolgfred

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 23, 2017, 06:27:57 AM
Quote from: Bolgfred on October 23, 2017, 05:45:23 AM

links please

Colony Manager

and here is the tab which shows you every untamed critter on your map ..
Wildlife Tab

Thank you, sir.
Couldn't find the ColonyManager-thread.
-J.R. Van Devil

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Daimonin

Speaking of hunting.... I just lost my only two combat capable pawns to a pack of capybara's that didn't like being hunted. Leaving the 3 IoV pawns holed up inside the storage room on the other corner of the map. Because the capybara's somehow know exactly where every other human is, and WANT to chase them all down. Rather then you know, killing the "predator" human, and the moving on with life.

This is made even worse since one of those IoV colonists just went into a berserk rage, and suddenly found out he's quite capable of killing things.

BetaSpectre

Disable the hunting job from chars, then mark all the animals then manually hunt. This is what I prefer to do at least. When the colonists hunt they don't really pick the optimal range and end up doing stuff like cross fire on other colonists.

I would still prefer a manhunter icon when hungry animals start hunting.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Deer87

Quote from: BetaSpectre on October 23, 2017, 11:10:32 PM
I would still prefer a manhunter icon when hungry animals start hunting.

Agreed.
Also the concept of hunting could do with some rework, i know it has been up before, but the whole idea of one pawn walking up to a herd of Ibex and starts spamming bullets at them gangsta style is just way off from the survivor feeling. Especially if playing with the ammunition mods, where every bullet counts in a young colony

TheMeInTeam

Animals hunting colonists needs an alert if the game is to be consistent yes, but this is about the reverse.

Hunting in general is in a bad place in Rimworld.  Tynan has previously stated that hunting is dangerous and intended to be, but what we have in practice is that using the automated hunting feature is a false choice.  You consistently risk permanent injury or pawn death, when draft hunting prevents that.  It's a pure noob trap.

On the reverse side, what is this *really* adding to the gameplay experience?  A need for unnecessary manual micromanagement to achieve the same result.  With wildlife tab or other mods you can gun down predators as a priority, but it's still annoying to do all the time.  Once you have the pattern down, you can do the entire process without thinking, just pure muscle memory while considering nothing beyond "do I want to hunt".

What's the point?  Why include the false choice at all, or create an environment akin to something like micromanaging individual probes in StarCraft on a smaller scale?  I'm not seeing how that makes the "prepare or die" strategy in Rimworld better, or how it's adding anything meaningful to the experience beyond the initial "deer beat down my colony" memes.

Bolgfred

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on October 25, 2017, 02:24:52 PM
What's the point?  Why include the false choice at all, or create an environment akin to something like micromanaging individual probes in StarCraft on a smaller scale?  I'm not seeing how that makes the "prepare or die" strategy in Rimworld better, or how it's adding anything meaningful to the experience beyond the initial "deer beat down my colony" memes.
I cannot agree on that on nor I understand. Hunting makes a lot of sense dir me, and if I hunt only what my hunter is able to take out by himself I never had a problem, and rarely major injuries.
A bad shooter with a short bow should only target rats, raccoons and rabbits. Low meat/leather, no risk. A better armed could take boars, foxes and peacocks aswell. A good shooter with a pet could also go for other predator like wolf and lynx.
The point that animal groups like deers are most dangerous ain't a bug, it's a feature which makes double sense for me: firstly it's a boob trap and second when 5 colonists hunt for 5 deers, everything can get hauled home immediately.
With these points taken, I actually don't understand how not to like hunting. It's risky sometimes,but für me itt feels quite real
-J.R. Van Devil

Deer87

Quote from: Bolgfred on October 25, 2017, 05:48:11 PM
The point that animal groups like deers are most dangerous ain't a bug, it's a feature which makes double sense for me: firstly it's a boob trap and second when 5 colonists hunt for 5 deers, everything can get hauled home immediately.

The problem is, that most prey animals would run as a group if threatend, not go into full assault. I get that animals like boars, wolfs and elefants can get agressive, but deer, nope, they would turn tail and run.
In any case, just standing around with the bullets hitting the ground and the gunshots breaking the silence of the forest seems off