Smarter hunting / ui improvements and finding animals on map

Started by asanbr, October 22, 2017, 02:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daimonin

Quote from: Deer87 on October 25, 2017, 05:48:11 PM

The problem is, that most prey animals would run as a group if threatend, not go into full assault. I get that animals like boars, wolfs and elefants can get agressive, but deer, nope, they would turn tail and run.
In any case, just standing around with the bullets hitting the ground and the gunshots breaking the silence of the forest seems off

This right here. Prey animals RUN from danger, rarely attack it. And even when they do it's only the immediate danger, then run as soon as they can. Not you know, kill the hunter, then make their way to the nearest town and proceed to wonder it's streets looking for more humans to kill.

Hell, I live in the Yukon (Canada). We (humans) are outnumbered by... pretty much every animal species that lives up here. If caribou herds went on a murder spree every time some hunter shot at one, we'd all be dead a long time ago.

So the current function is neither realistic OR fun. AKA it has absolutely no reason to be like this and needs a rework.

Bolgfred

Quote from: Deer87 on October 26, 2017, 02:47:25 AM
The problem is, that most prey animals would run as a group if threatend, not go into full assault. I get that animals like boars, wolfs and elefants can get agressive, but deer, nope, they would turn tail and run.
In any case, just standing around with the bullets hitting the ground and the gunshots breaking the silence of the forest seems off
This is absolutely right. Actually fleeing was introduced for prey animals, but they still feel too passive/aggressive. Needs to be tweaked and improved. If it's for me, most animals should try to flee if a pawn goes closer than 10 tiles, or shooting within 20
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

gaf

Perhaps a way to implement this idea as a compromise without having to change the current system would be to introduce a new "Hunting station" workbench of sorts. Something you build and where you can set bills for hunting similar to bills for other tasks. You could reuse the same interface as used in other workbenches and use the details panel for each bill to select what animals to hunt, in what radius, how many times to do it etc. What the bills would do is then just to automate the task of finding matching animals and marking them as targets for hunting and keeping track of when hunted animals are killed, the rest works as is.