Modding help please - Ferrets

Started by RagingLoony, October 23, 2017, 05:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RagingLoony

OK, so, recently I bought some ferrets IRL, to go hunting rabbits and stuff in my local area (alot of farmland)

They amazing little guys, and I wanna add them into rimworld. I'm good at editing pre-existing stuff, but a little clueless at making something myself. So I figured I'd ask here for some guidance and help in bringing my furry lil friends into the Rimworld.

I was thinking of basing them off of fox's, as fox's already have very similar AI to what I want. they're smaller than wolves, but also hunt small animals like squirrels and rabbits.

I remember reading a while back about people making little mods like mine, but breaking alot of other mods because they'd edit the core def's and stuff,which I want to avoid, obviously.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

CannibarRechter

Look in Def\ThingDefs_Races.

In your mod, add a pair of new defs to your Defs directory: one for the ferret race, and one for their pawn (body). Technically, that's all you have to do to define ferrets. But if you want them to appear on the map, you'll need a bit more:

Create a Patches directory. In this directory create a new file that has a PatchOperationAdd command. This command should add your ferret to the various Biomes you want it to appear in.

Edit: here's a good way to find every file that FoxRed is defined in. Start a powershell instance, cd to your rimworld Mods\Core\Defs directory, and type:

ls -recurse *.xml | sls -pattern FoxRed

That search produces the following results:

BiomeDefs\Biomes_Cold.xml:131:                  <FoxRed>0.07</FoxRed>
BiomeDefs\Biomes_Cold.xml:257:                  <FoxRed>0.008</FoxRed>
BiomeDefs\Biomes_Moderate.xml:132:                      <FoxRed>0.04</FoxRed>
ThingDefs_Races\Races_Animal_WildCanines.xml:615:    <defName>FoxRed</defName>
ThingDefs_Races\Races_Animal_WildCanines.xml:626:    <defName>FoxRed</defName>
ThingDefs_Races\Races_Animal_WildCanines.xml:629:    <race>FoxRed</race>
ThingDefs_Races\Races_Animal_WildCanines.xml:635:          <texPath>Things/Pawn/Animal/FoxRed/FoxRed</texPath>
ThingDefs_Races\Races_Animal_WildCanines.xml:645:          <texPath>Things/Pawn/Animal/FoxRed/FoxRed</texPath>
ThingDefs_Races\Races_Animal_WildCanines.xml:659:          <texPath>Things/Pawn/Animal/FoxRed/FoxRed</texPath>

CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

RagingLoony

Surprisingly easier to learn than I thought. Had already done everything there before you posted :P

everything is now set. I just need a front/back/side texture for a ferret.... And I suck at drawing. Thank you for your reply though!

CannibarRechter

Somewhere there is a tutorial on how to create Rimworld Sprites. I don't have the link, and it's a bit hard to find. Anyway, the TLDR; on it is that you get a photo of your animal from the front, back, and sides, and trace it. It's really not that hard. The only little trick is softing out the limbs to bumps. You'll likely spend a lot more time being frustrated by learning the ins and outs of your paint/draw tools (e.g., Gimp, etc) than you will doing the actual drawing.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

RagingLoony

I regularly use photoshop, but I just don't have the patience to sit and draw, especially with a mouse lol. I have made a request post if anyone out there is inclined, and I also have some artsy friends I've asked, so We'll see how it goes. Who knows, it may even end up here on the forums one day.