Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mebe

The ability to queue jobs is nice but it's annoying that it requires the keyboard - can we get it on the right click context menu?

MoronicCinamun

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on November 05, 2017, 01:21:57 AM
My last caravan had stealthiness of 0.9. I prematurely assumed the range being from 0.0 to 1.0 and my caravan being bad at it since it was composed of 3 colonists, 3 wild boars and... 3 elephants (they are pack animals now and can carry 140kg). Elephants are big and noisy. I don't know if it was a bug or not but on the return from an incapacitated refugee, I got one caravan encounter, 1 manhunter ambush and 3 raid ambushes,...all ambushes happened exactly on the same world tile...with exactly the same map layout. All hostiles seemed difficulty adjusted accordingly to my caravan overall strength,...but the ambushes themselves kept pushing back my caravan to that same time which delayed the return to base. But it was still good to get some extra pemmican (although I was carrying enough for 3 - 4 more journeys) and some jade that I mined from the mini-map.

But "officially", we don't have the range value to determine if we are efficiently stealthy of not.

I can't speak for the whole, but I think higher stealthiness is better, and it certainly does go above 1.

I found 4 people and 3 alpacas had a value of 1.0, 2 people + 3 alpacas had 1.2

PhantomFav

Tornadoes are great! They devastate your colony if they go on your huts, meanwhile if you have built the colony under a mountain roof, the tornadoes are totally ineffective!
Finally in A18 there is a very good reason to build your colonies (or at least your bank vault with all your precious things and the anti-tornado-refuge/last-resource-hospital) under a solid rock roof, balancing the danger of the mega-bugs. GREAT! Now even the random caves are a good last resource for unlucky pawns near a tornado spawn point.

P.S. It's a bit silly that your walls, furnitures and pawns are torn to pieces during the tornado, meanwhile the roof is practically invulnerable. I think that during that type of incident, the built roof is the first thing to literally disappear XD

Third_Of_Five

So recently in alpha 18 there was this new feature added called the "resurrector mech serum", and I would like to offer some constructive criticism. I know that Rimworld is a very harsh and unforgiving game, and I know that resurrecting colonists with this new feature does try to balance itself out by leaving the colonist permanently disabled and such, but it still is OP in my opinion. Not saying that you should remove it, in fact I think it's a great idea, but I find it a bit unrealistic that you can resurrect a colonist even when their body is so decomposed that they are literally a skeleton.
If you want to resurrect a colonist, I think you should have to keep their body frozen and prevent it from rotting. Once the body starts to decay, they should be pretty much be gone for good. I mean, if you can't harvest organs or bionic parts from colonists after death, then you certainly shouldn't be able to resurrect them once they are decomposing. Let alone when their body is nothing but a pile of bones.

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - I merged this suggestion thread with this feedback thread because it is commenting on a new A18 feature, the mech serum, and providing feedback/opinion on it being OP in its current form.

Dashthechinchilla

Some gameplay stories for A18 feedback. Randy rough.

I got pelted by three cargo pods in a row in the heart of my base. The first hit my mortar bunker. The detonation of the pods and stored shells (in granite shelves) blew out the walls of my hospital, kitchen, and destroyed the launch tubes. Also killed Matilda, but I had just gotten a rez serum. A short time later, more pods dropped on my geo generator. Just animals hurt that time. Shortly after that, more pods dropped on my wall.

I sent a sniper team to an incapacitated world event. The incapacitated and one of the pirates was the name I had submitted to the game and selected to appear more often. I killed both pirates and was working on the turrets. It was slow going because I had arrived late in the evening. Both were tired and hungry. Unfortunately for the downed guy, eventually one of the turrets turned its attention on him and gunned him down. I deconstructed everything and left the bodies.

I got raided just before a sniper team showed up to an AI core event. I couldn't figure out how to halt in place with 0.3 days left to destination of a 3 day trip,  so I told them to travel to the same hez they were in. It set them back to 0.9 days. Another team was traveling back from a trade mission. They were 0.1 days from home and were running out of food. Halted by manhunter, but when they resumed they were back to 0.5 days.

I have noticed that in A18 my selected name appears very frequently. I didn't limit how it could appear(male, female, ect) so for example on my last raide two pirates were given the name.

Ser Kitteh

I agree the rez serum is OP. I mainly have a problem with it due to how, well, in a galaxy with planet large AIs controlling everything, resurrecting skeletons is kinda out there.

If anything, dead bodies should be able to encase in cryptosleep to preserve it rather than just throwing it in your freezer.

East

Quote from: Third_Of_Five on November 05, 2017, 02:38:33 PM
but I find it a bit unrealistic that you can resurrect a colonist even when their body is so decomposed that they are literally a skeleton.
I saw the movie scene while watching the item.
movie The Fifth Element an example of future 3D Bio Printing. https://youtu.be/h9OBbsLYGOE

I cleared a18 twice but I can not get the item (so rare). I do not know the balance.

Wintersdark

Yeah, the res serum is awesome but should be limited to (sufficiently) intact, non-rotten corpses.  Or... Not limited, but resurrecting someone whose corpse was rotting should happen with horrible, disfiguring medical consequences. 

Glad to see tornados reduced.  I do enjoy them, but in my earlier games, I saw them very frequently and the randomness of them (often irrelevant but sometimes crushing) while being essentially impossible to defend against has the potential to make them very frustrating.  My current game, around ~5 years in (I've been playing pretty much all weekend) has seen two: A good number, IMHO. 

Loving milking Boomalopes for Chemfuel.  I've grown my colony into mountains (after all, infestations end up everywhere so I may as well) and as I maintain a Boomalope herd anyways as combat support I can use the Chemfuel as a trade good and generator fuel.  Nice to have a good midgame power source that can run indoors.  I'm assuming this is a new feature, but it's one I've always wanted to see.  Boomalope farming is exciting and dangerous, nice to see it rewarding too!

Caves - Further Thoughts:

My current (and pretty well established) game is on a Caves map.  Whenever there's an infestation, it is spread across the entire map - but always in "infestable" regions.  Is this intended?  Once any one of the new hives is engaged, ALL the (newly spawned) bugs on the map become aggressive and attack.  This can be very troublesome, as it's easy to miss a hive/bugs during a map-wide infestation.  Overall size remains appropriate for your colony, but yeah - just not sure if this is intended behavior or not.  I would assume that an infestation should be relatively constrained geographically, rather than simultaneously spawning in several completely unconnecting mountains.

I also enjoy how initial bug spawns are dormant.  Keeps them a fun hazard but not a huge pressing issue as that's the role Infestation events fill.

Still, I really, REALLY love caves.  Special map features are fantastic, and caves do a great job of spicing up mountain maps. 

Yoshida Keiji

Quote0.18.1712

* Reduced the probability of tornadoes by 50%.
* Balanced tornado damage.
* Tornadoes now deal less damage to downed pawns.
* Reverted minor tornado visuals change.
* Tornadoes no longer damage natural walls.
* Add tornado combat event log messages.

Gay-nado:

I had to wait 207 days to get my very first Tornado event, and I must say it looked gay.
Real life Tornados don't change course based in buildings on land.

Roll back to first version of Tornado. Just create 1x2 "Bunkers" like a sleeping spot that neutralizes Tornado damage if it passes over it.

What I really didn't like of this Tornado version 3.0 was that animals didn't wake up. I think they should naturally run just like "Fleeing" in random directions unless commanded by the player to specific zones. I know in real life you would need a shepard but just don't let them just sleeping as if nothing is happening.

giannikampa

In my few hours of 18.1712 i'm seeing better stats on enemy recruits and crash refugee. I find it nice especially for those players from many alphas, when you refused like 99 percent of them because they were usless addiction to the colony.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

wakko151

I can't wait to fail in the most hilarious and realistic ways possible. I still remember my favorite colony.

We slowly hit the highest tech level and i got bored so I made 4 guys into full cyborgs and then put them into cryostasis and only woke them up when we got attacked. What I didin't take into account was that one of the super soldiers was married. While her husband slept for several years she had moved on. When we got raided he woke up, killed the infidels, and found his wife cheating on him. Well he was not happy. He immiediatly killed the new guy, killed her, and then got very depressed. About a day later I went to put them back in cryosleep and he flipped out, refused to get back in the tube. About an hour later in game he started murdering everyone. I had about 3 ugly people living on the outskirts of my colony by themselves. They were the only ones he did not murder. What surprised me the most was that this crazy man could kill all these people solo, including the other 3 super soldiers. About a month later he married one of the younger ugly girls and we rebuilt the colony. A couple years after he passed away a space ship crashed right into my food stores and spewed forth rampant AI which killed half my population. The resulting fire fight and fire destroyed most of our supplies. The remaining people killed each other over the food and then went crazy and either left or killed each other.

I will never forget that story. Every detail of that campaign will forever reside in my brain.

ison

Quote from: PatrykSzczescie on November 03, 2017, 09:37:54 PM
Thank you, Tytan, for the update. Also, one thing:

Quote from: Tynan on November 03, 2017, 09:06:58 PM

We no longer send the area-revealed letter if the revealed area is on-screen and it is less than 600 cells.

Does it include the ones with mechanoids that pause the game?

If the revelead area contains mechanoids then the letter is always sent.

PatrykSzczescie

Quote from: wakko151 on November 06, 2017, 08:07:47 AM
We slowly hit the highest tech level and i got bored so I made 4 guys into full cyborgs and then put them into cryostasis and only woke them up when we got attacked. What I didin't take into account was that one of the super soldiers was married. While her husband slept for several years she had moved on. When we got raided he woke up, killed the infidels, and found his wife cheating on him. Well he was not happy. He immiediatly killed the new guy, killed her, and then got very depressed. About a day later I went to put them back in cryosleep and he flipped out, refused to get back in the tube. About an hour later in game he started murdering everyone. I had about 3 ugly people living on the outskirts of my colony by themselves. They were the only ones he did not murder. What surprised me the most was that this crazy man could kill all these people solo, including the other 3 super soldiers. About a month later he married one of the younger ugly girls and we rebuilt the colony. A couple years after he passed away a space ship crashed right into my food stores and spewed forth rampant AI which killed half my population. The resulting fire fight and fire destroyed most of our supplies. The remaining people killed each other over the food and then went crazy and either left or killed each other.

Is it all possible on vanilla RimWorld?

Snafu_RW

Inspiration mechanic: Why give brawlers the possibility of having a shoot frenzy? (prolly other odd mechanics too..)
Dom 8-)

Ser Kitteh

Quote from: Snafu_RW on November 06, 2017, 06:08:03 PM
Inspiration mechanic: Why give brawlers the possibility of having a shoot frenzy? (prolly other odd mechanics too..)

Man, I've got brawlers who don't have a passion in melee but a passion for shooting! What's up with that?