Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Grishnerf on October 24, 2017, 10:39:19 AM
all hail tynan lannister.  :P

Hear him Post.

==== EDIT ====

.. damn .. not only stupid comments .. something about the game ..

:o :o :o
local installation without steam runs great

I love the mapped out planet with area names,
I like the new Pawn-UI so far ..
What are the "left behinds" about ? ..

and so many small amazeballs changes .. weapon melee bulk ..
the new plantlife looks great .. and I just landed and totally love the new version ..

now as my favorite half-elf Alchemist says " ONWARD ! TO ! GLORY ! "
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Albion

I just downloaded the unstable A18 version to get a jump start on adapting my mod and check out the new feature.

While playing around in God mode I came across an antigrain IED and figured "I should call in a raid and test that thing".
Let's just say: I was not prepared for this kind of... effect...

I'm also immensly loving the new furniture and joy buildings, as well as the new world and flora features.

My only issue is: The description in Psychoid brewing features the line "[...] psychoid leaves can be boiled in water[...]". So after researching the Psychoid brewing I clicked on the campfire: no new recipe. So I checked out the brewing table: no new recipe. Now I got confused and clicked the stove: no new recipe.
Then I remembered that smokeleaf joints are produced at the crafting spot and there it was.
Long story short: Maybe move the 'make psychoid pekoe' recipe to the campfire/stove or at least have a copy of that recipe available there too?
I get why it's at the crafting spot but at least from the description I would have guessed the recipe might be somewhere else.

Edit: I also love the left behind feature. Now I don't have to reroll my colonist but can pick the best ones and let the rest/unworthy die in that (space)shipcrash.

drunetovich

1) Team skills window not updating properly after you "Randomize" pawns on the team.
2) Caves are too numerous and have too much arms, so look somewhat unnatural.

Devon_v

Quote from: Crow_T on October 24, 2017, 08:29:08 AM
AWESOME! I look forward to more pain and suffering, destruction and rebuilding.  ;D

It looks like EMP mortars no longer exist, do the antigrain ones replace them in some way?
Re-read the OP. Vanilla mortars work like CR/CE mortars now, which makes far more sense. It's the shell that does the stuff, not the tube. :)

Awe

Quote----Slaughterer. Slaughter random colony animal(s) periodically.

Seems too rough. Pls, dont make animal handling even more useless than before.

Dashthechinchilla

Just in time. Randy just wiped out my current colony with a three doomsday rocket raid and a fox manhunter pack.

Alistaire

Very simple combat log suggestion: end every sentence in an exclamation mark.

Also, if the same action happens twice, add "x2" behind the action (and the same for any other multiple of the same action happening).

Alenerel

You have to make an A18 section for mods in the steam workshop.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: Alenerel on October 24, 2017, 01:21:28 PM

This isn't official release; just public testing to refine the base game.

MCreeper

Everyting about quests and half of mental breaks including anti-breaks  - WHERE TO DELETE THIS GIBBERISH!?!?!  >:( >:(  >:(
All other - awesome, just as usual. ;D
Ok, not actually, and i didn't even seen all it.
Quest rewards -  don't know what the first 4 ones is.  :(
Mechanites - resurrector looks strange.
Targeters - he-he-he.

Mental breaks.
Tantrums - meh.
Sadistic rage - i approve   ;D
Slaughterer - No.
Murderous rage - like berserk, but far worse when pops up on really wrong time. Uh.
Run wild - just a bit over the board for me.  It shouldn't be THAT hardcore sickness.
Work frenzy, shoot frenzy, and probably go frenzy - Hell No. Especially shoot frenzy, bonus is just way too huge.

Eh. Now when i wrigthen all this, i should check the actual update. :P

kaptain_kavern

Hey, tropical Rainforest that looks like a Tropical Rainforest ...   YaY!

Another mod byte the dust ... :-c

Serenity

Quote from: Tynan on October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM
-New furniture
----Bedroll: Portable bed
----Dresser: Passively improves room
----Endtable: Passive improves room
----Various new table sizes
Fantastic. That was an area where vanilla furniture was really lacking :)

Crop blights now appear and spread over time instead of instantly destroying crops
Yes! Makes that event much better

Artillery works differently now. There is one type of mortar, which can fire any type of shell, with each shell creating a different effect.
Yay :)

Alenerel

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on October 24, 2017, 01:24:15 PM
Quote from: Alenerel on October 24, 2017, 01:21:28 PM

This isn't official release; just public testing to refine the base game.

Last time he created the category when released the testing. Reason is to have the modders have their mods already updated for the release.

corestandeven

Good list for A18 and thanks for all the hard work. I look forward to playing the stable release. Three questions/comments from me:

1. Whilst the list of new mood breaks sound interesting i do have a concern as to how often these will occur, how long they last, and what actions (if any) players can take to prevent or stop them whilst in progress? At the moment (in A17) they are punishing and I would say not fun for players to manage.

As i mentioned on several of my posts mental breaks happen way too often imo, mostly when pawns have travelled. You arrive at a mission/mining location/enemy base and your pawns break - some for frankly absurd, unbelievable and frustrating reasons. Apart from arresting pawns players have no other action but to ride it out, and some mental breaks last days. If pawns are injured or have infections (common after a battle) you cant treat them unless they collapse.

During travel you cant stop to have fun, eat at a table, sleep indoors etc (unless you use the camping mod) so in vanilla there is little players can do to increase mood whilst on the road. I have pawns often breaking during travel as well.

Could you explain more about what (if any) changes have been made to mitigate this? Adding more mental breaks, especially violent ones, when there isnt much players can do to prevent or deal with them, when traveling, is a major turn off to exploring the map.

2) As reported by several players on other posts, what changes (if any) are being made to the frequency of limbs flying off? Seems every battle in A17 results in arms, legs, fingers, noses etc falling off. Given players have little options available to remedy this after a battle it means after a small number of raids you have a colony of crippled pawns who cant do much.

There are mods that mean you can create bionic parts later in game, but i do not think it addresses the real issue of overly frequent limb loss. Im sure in real life firearms do mame people often, but is Rimworld a real life simulator or a videogame?

3. How do bedrolls work? Are they for travelling or use in the colony only?

MikeLemmer

Playing in a swamp biome now. It seems weird there's no harvestable plants naturally growing here.