Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daimonin

So.... My world has a named place: "Alloum Taiga"

Its a Tropical Rainforest/Swamp....
That doesn't sound right?

"Taiga is the Russian word for forest and is the largest biome in the world. It stretches over Eurasia and North America. The taiga is located near the top of the world, just below the tundra biome. The winters in the taiga are very cold with only snowfall. The summers are warm, rainy, and humid. A lot of coniferous trees grow in the taiga. The taiga is also known as the boreal forest."

I could see the Cold Bog biome using the Taiga feature name, im guessing Tropical swamp is pulling from the same list?

Ser Kitteh

I like the new blight mechanic! Though I gotta say it needs a bit more work.

Certain plants of a crop will get blighted, and the player needs to order a pawn to cut it. I realise there's the new ability to queue work now, but it would be better if it you could AOE effect cut it like you do cleaning.

As others have mentioned, bedrolls require cloth which is not something tribals would have access to. It'd be great if the default scenario have more of it or you can build it out of other textiles.

I think pscyhoid tea needs 4000 points to research? Machining takes like 3000. I'd put that number in the hundreds honestly.

Ran into a glitch where my caravan of my best social talker can't move despite within carrying weight and have plenty of food. Not sure what causes it so I insta-teleported for the talks.

Only had a few hours in, be back later to report some more.

blightmoon

Rifles, cowboy hats, dusters, poker tables, revolvers... what's left? horses you can mount. Horses in A19, please?

Tynan

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's useful and we are continuing to make improvements. Got lots of notes.

Bug reports are also useful (if put in the Bugs forum).

Please don't ask for information here, this is really a feedback thread not an AMA. Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Daimonin

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on October 25, 2017, 01:03:32 AM
As others have mentioned, bedrolls require cloth which is not something tribals would have access to. It'd be great if the default scenario have more of it or you can build it out of other textiles.

I had no problem making bedrolls out of animal hides.

general2231

Sounds amazing Tynan, I'm looking forward to building in the caves that can form in mountains, thanks for the once again outstanding update :)
"Last chance, Etrius"

Owner of G223 Productions

My mods:
Wandering Caravans

Bolgfred

Quote from: Rafe009 on October 24, 2017, 11:17:24 PM
I noticed that tornadoes cut through natural rock walls like they are butter. I understand the need for Tornadoes to be a structural threat to brick and other unnatural walls but it seems a little strange that a few tornadoes might essentially take apart a mountain in the period of a few years - thousands of years sure.
Agreed. Natural stone should be completely ignored by tornados.

Beyond that, the effect radius should be doubled or more, as I barely noticed the "path of destruction", cause it was way too small.
Dunno if I want the pathing be more predictable. Maybe split intoa big and a small tornado, whilst the big one spawns at the map end and heads one way +/-15° through the entire map.

Swamp biome doesn't feel slow enough for me. There should be a basic ground tile which replaced standard earth as buildable/farmable land, but higher pathin cost.
When I am in a swamp, I want to be forced to place some roads, for movement.

Instead of this huge amount of trees, there could maybe more grass or bushes, with slow or cover-effects.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Calahan

@ All - I've moved a bunch of posts to the bugs forum (where they belong). So if some of you are wondering "huh, where'd my post go?", then this is the answer.

I know it's tempting (and very convenient!) to post about the bugs you've encountered here. But doing so risks them slipping through the net and not being addressed because ison (one of the devs) isn't going to be methodically going through this thread checking for bug reports (like he does with report threads in the bugs forum). Plus Tynan has already asked (twice now) for them to be posted in the bugs forum where they belong.

Quote from: Tynan on October 25, 2017, 02:01:26 AM
Bug reports are also useful (if put in the Bugs forum).

Entityofsin

Definitely looking forward to this. The cave system part with cave plants really excites me.

MCreeper

Feedback  :)
1. Should psychite tea have some side effects except usual psychite addiction and tolerance? My colonist drinked 40+ in a row and didn't get anything except addictio and large tolerance.
2. +  Forests look more like forests now.
    -   Trees seem to give the same amount of wood per tree. DF trouble - if you have any trees on the map, you will get far more then you will ever able to use.  :P
3. 3 level shooter shooting at sleeping turkey in a bushes with 7% chance to hit. In reports, turkey not only "jerked out of the way", but also "threw himself on the ground"  ;D

Daimonin

Quote from: MCreeper on October 25, 2017, 04:29:19 AM
    -   Trees seem to give the same amount of wood per tree. DF trouble - if you have any trees on the map, you will get far more then you will ever able to use.  :P
Amen to that, Trying the tropical swamp, just clearing the space to build some buildings and I have no idea what to do with the wood. Crafting a million statues I guess.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Daimonin on October 25, 2017, 04:43:51 AM
Quote from: MCreeper on October 25, 2017, 04:29:19 AM
Amen to that, Trying the tropical swamp, just clearing the space to build some buildings and I have no idea what to do with the wood. Crafting a million statues I guess.

Really ? .. Tropical Forest Biome is the one where I have the most ressuply problems with wood ..
I admit I use a lot of wood in the beginning ( walls, furniture, workbenches, floors .. )

The densitiy of the forest is lower than in other Biomes and the yield per tree is also less.
I would love if there would be some more giant trees in the jungles. ( like wooden mountains )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Albion

I actually prefer the increase in vegetation. Now it actually feels like a forest/swamp/jungle and you have to cut away (or burn free) some space before being able to build stuff.

And because I usually build rather large colonies with lots of pawns and statue producting I love the increase in wood supply. Before that I had to go through most of the map and cut down all harvestable trees on the entire map to get alle the wood I wanted and even then I occasionally ran low or had to resort to building stone statues.

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 25, 2017, 05:17:57 AM
I would love if there would be some more giant trees in the jungles. ( like wooden mountains )
+1 I like the idea of giant trees which won't regrow.

Bakar

Is it just me but i feel like the reolver is a bit too weak?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

MCreeper

Ok, embarked on all swamps and temperate forest. Forest is the same as usual. Cold bog is more or less tame with "ohgod trees, they are in my eyes!", but tropical swamp seems to have 1 full tree per 1.5 tiles on average. Also:
1. Any reason to exist for warning "this colonist have very low skill"  when you enable work that pawn have 0-2 skill in? You are always already know that he have no skill, so that's just annoying red border on square.
2. Is semi-glitch with "you can make blueprint of door on blueprint of wall, but not other way around" fixable? Probably asked for many times already.  :D