Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Bakar on October 25, 2017, 05:41:29 AM
Is it just me but i feel like the reolver is a bit too weak?

compared to ?
I have not played very long now, but I could handle all situations so far with the basic 3 Weapons.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Yoshida Keiji

The combat log could have an improved "readability", I know you said it is unfinished. But I would prefer a color distinction between actions from the character by himself/herself and those actions that come from the other. Green is you, red is the opponent. Possibly better if hit/miss/friendly fired are separated by columns instead of all aligned to the left, so if I see my pawn with lots of icons in the middle column, I know instantly that he/she has been missing the target a lot (sight deficiency, whatever), instead of making us read line by line. I prefer a fast look by icon symbolization over a wall of text.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 25, 2017, 08:20:14 AM

The combat log could have an improved "readability"

- I would prefer a color distinction between actions from the character by himself/herself and those actions that come from the other. Green is you, red is the opponent.
- Possibly better if hit/miss/friendly fired are separated by columns instead of all aligned to the left, so if I see my pawn with lots of icons in the middle column,
- I prefer a fast look by icon symbolization over a wall of text.

Yes to all of it .. but a little different.

I would prefer the colors to define how much damage was dealt
( red - severe or bleeding wound; yellow normal hit; green or white miss; purple Kill )
and the combatants divided by alignment ( like most messengers do it at the moment )

Enemy Left Aligned, Pawn Self Right alligned.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Jarwy

Having a condition called Sadistic Rage in game now pretty much ensures there will be no official "children" in game due a possibily of them being the target of this partical mental break. ::) 

Anyway, pretty interesting new mental conditions. I like them all. Especially the audacious ones. Rimworld has always been shameless in a way it deals with the pawns' mental health.

Tynan

Guys, please stay on topic. For official threads like this, mods aren't at about removing of topic posts. Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

LouisTBR

I love that I can now get my colonists addicted to tea, as it really has no downside to a Brit. However, 4000 RP to research brewing of tea? That's more than some aspects of shipbuilding. I'm not sure if this is a bug and it is meant to be 400, but if this is not the case, I think it's a bit high. On the plus side, having Rich Explorers start with Machining technology (And making it simpler to research) is a lot more sensible and a very good addition.

The research processes in order to make more advanced weaponry are much better, and bedrolls are another very nice addition.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Mehni

The "cloth" bedrolls need a better description, because it's not at all obvious (or intuitive) that they're stuffed. Their description explicitly states they're cloth bedrolls which in this game means cotton. This is misleading, since they can be made out of any textile.

Some people still think the crematorium can only be made out of granite too, even though that thing is stuffed as well.

Jimyoda

By 'stuffed' I first thought you meant filled. Ok, so bedrolls are filled - nice and comfy then. After reading through realized you must mean it can be made out of stuff (i.e. materials).
(Either that or crematoriums are comfy to sleep on too. :D)

I actually thought I needed cloth for a bedroll until reading this. So I second your point.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

Calahan

Quote from: Tynan on October 25, 2017, 10:20:24 AM
Guys, please stay on topic. For official threads like this, mods aren't at about removing of topic posts. Thanks.
@ All - Once again I've had to move a bunch of posts to their proper place on the forum. I've also deleted several OT posts as well.

I haven't got time (and dwindling patience) to keep doing this every few hours so from now on I'm going to be deleting off-topic posts on sight, as well as anything else that doesn't belong here such as general suggestions not specific to A18's new features. (If you have a general suggestion, then have a wild guess where you should post it. Hint, there's an entire forum called "Suggestions").

LouisTBR

I'd go with:
"A portable bed made using any textile. Can be uninstalled and carried anywhere, making it a good choice for camping outside and provides a comfortable rest space for long haul journeys. More versatile than a bed, but less comfortable." or something of that gist.
Also, I just found out about the queuing jobs feature. It's currently up there with butchering helpless prisoners on my "Best Rimworld Features" list.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

TheMeInTeam

Having played it 6 hours yesterday, I have some initial thoughts:

- I don't mind the bedroll idea, but it's silly to need to research beds.

- As a tribe, I'm seeing raiders with assault rifles rifles + sniper rifles at normal or better quality and full health by early 5501.  These weapons are comparatively deeper in the tech tree in A18.  I have also fought off two raids with 5 of triple/doomsday rocket launchers between the two of them.  I also have a minigun, dropped from a raider rather than a mech.  With the game's raids scaling like this, the tech tree for researching this stuff loses a lot of its meaning.  You can't possibly research in time to defend with the same weaponry, and if you defend without said weaponry you have the weaponry.  Sappers aren't very scary when you triple rocket the sapping raider + others and then one of the others in that raid kindly provides another triple rocket.

- Tornadoes are not plausible and are indeed detrimental to core design right now.  Maybe they're magic rimnadoes, but they might as well be spellcasters from offscreen with this implementation.  I'm getting them in "large hills", and they're destroying stuff that even F5 tornadoes couldn't bring down in reality.  Blaming the player for a tornado killing caravans is **particularly** punitive since it can wipe them into instant hostility with absolutely no agency.  These are not presently offering meaningful decisions to the game, just an arbitrary penalty that doesn't behave plausibly to what it's abstracting.

- I'm not a fan of requiring machining for microelectronics basics.  This was a tough choice on what to prioritize on earlier patches, whether it's worth to dive for trades/better tech rate or go for shoring up defenses faster.  Now your hand is forced.  Considering early game caravan cost burden I don't see an issue with a fast comm console you may or may not be able to use well.  Otherwise, the new tech tree seems to be an improvement.

- Refugee quest is a little underwhelming, unless sometimes the pawn isn't legless?  Regardless, better bring some meds so you can slap peg legs on the poor sucker.  It makes it hard to justify these early game though, since 60% move rate pawn needs fantastic stats to be worth the trip and these pawns seem to have the usual RNG.

- Slaughterer is disproportionately costly compared to most other mental breaks, old and new, and gives very little reaction time.  Murderous rage is arguably even worse.  Extended mental breaks are already very bad, I'm not sure we needed to nerf pessimest/depressive type pawns more and this kind of thing reeks of 100% RNG death when you kill a family member defending a raid --> pawn goes nuts and any option you choose has the potential to kill pawn w/o counterplay.

I am fundamentally opposed to having pawns die without reasonable counterplay.  Most of this game's design is squarely on player agency and their choices mattering, so why introduce mechanics where their choices don't matter/can't reasonably influence the outcome?  This is a game first, why make gameplay then counteract it?  The blight change is an example of a change for the better, stuff like suppressing murderous rage killing the pawn is going in the opposite direction from that.

DestroyX

"A major rework of melee combat, and a new way to report all combat interactions. Storyful combat generates a combat log that reports each blow, miss, swipe, block and fall in the combat. During or after a fight, you can review the combat log to see what happened, to generate a richer story"

Oh my god, i cant even describe how much i love you for that!

Dashthechinchilla

I really like the combat log, it adds to the story. I find myself conflicted though. I like reading that the miss on the hare I am hunting is because it threw itself on the ground, but I want to see the action too. Can you make the window transparent?

Daimonin

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on October 25, 2017, 11:38:20 AM
I really like the combat log, it adds to the story. I find myself conflicted though. I like reading that the miss on the hare I am hunting is because it threw itself on the ground, but I want to see the action too. Can you make the window transparent?
Even better then transparent, put a transparency slider into the options menu.

On new tree density: Oh I don't MIND being swamped by wood, I'd definitely prefer swamped by wood but really feel like im in a dense Forrest, rather then the sparse trees we had before. It's not like making a million wooden statues is bad. Or building everything out of wood. Just try not to have a pyro if doing that.

My current colony feels great with that jungle village feel (well tropical swamp).

Rasec

I really like that mental breaks are getting more diverse, but as many people said before, they are way too often, and it's hard to take control over them, would be interesting to see a scaling system where someone that had high mood for most of the time wouldn't just break after one bad day...