Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maoz

I like the new and varied envelope sounds overall. They needed to be diversified.

Some people are saying they don't like the raid horn, but I enjoy knowing what is going down via the sound. If you do change the sounds, keep the different events distinct sounds please!

All in all a very cool patch, I am enjoying my tribal start in a tropical swamp!

Bozobub

@erdrik:  Um...  You realize aurorae are not nearly bright enough (by several orders of magnitude) for plants to grow or to get useful amounts of energy from solar panels IRL, right?  For an aurora to be THAT bright, your atmosphere would have to be pelted with enough charged particles to imply a massively lethal solar flare or similar event, or even a nearby supernova's initial particle wavefront.  Either way, when your face of the planet turns towards the source you'll die rather quickly ???.

Tl;dr:  No, you DON'T want to live on a planet that has aurorae bright enough to grow with or generate energy with solar panels.  Trust me on this.
Thanks, belgord!

faltonico

I am sorry but the naming of the locations of the world, though neat, makes no sense to me, to the point of being immersion breaking.
Aren't Rimworld's supposed to be wild planets? why do they have their own versions of Royal Geographical Society? Who names those places?.

Naming should be AFTER you have visited to those places, via caravaning or flying above them with drop pods.

erdrik

Quote from: Bozobub on October 28, 2017, 01:47:15 PM
@erdrik:  Um...  You realize aurorae are not nearly bright enough (by several orders of magnitude) for plants to grow or to get useful amounts of energy from solar panels IRL, right?  For an aurora to be THAT bright, your atmosphere would have to be pelted with enough charged particles to imply a massively lethal solar flare or similar event, or even a nearby supernova's initial particle wavefront.  Either way, when your face of the planet turns towards the source you'll die rather quickly ???.

Tl;dr:  No, you DON'T want to live on a planet that has aurorae bright enough to grow with or generate energy with solar panels.  Trust me on this.

I was posting based on 2 primary concerns:
1. The description implies there will be light.
2. There is no light applied to the map.

Its fine if solar panels don't get enough energy to work.
Its fine if plants don't grow.
(Tho I can debate you on both these points, I don't think this is the thread for it)

But when I hover over an outside and uncovered tile, and the text at the bottom left corner of the screen says there is 0% light then it probably shouldn't have a description that implies there will be light.

O Negative

Quote from: faltonico on October 28, 2017, 02:46:49 PM
Why do they [RimWorlds] have their own versions of Royal Geographical Society? Who names those places?.
I have a feeling it's the same people who built the pre-generated roads and the buildings which are now ancient ruins. Each update has made the world(s) feel less abandoned, but they still have that feeling of being forgotten and chaotic. I wasn't a fan of the pre-built roads at first, and it was for the same reason you're discontent with the pre-named regions. But, it grew on me over time; kinda started to make more sense the more I thought about it.

Not to sound like a bratty player, but I'm a little sad that we don't have more interactive options with these kinds of things. The ability to rename regions or build/demolish roads would be pretty neat, in my opinion. Maybe a future build?

Dashthechinchilla

I am sorry but the naming of the locations of the world, though neat, makes no sense to me, to the point of being immersion breaking.
Aren't Rimworld's supposed to be wild planets? why do they have their own versions of Royal Geographical Society? Who names those places?.

Naming should be AFTER you have visited to those places, via caravaning or flying above them with drop pods.
locals will have names for places, even if they aren't on a map, or even universally agreed upon. We just have the advantage of floating above the world looking at it.

Rimrue

I too am not a fan of the new sounds. Could you please swap them so actual raids and other red letter events get the original alarm sound and solar flares and other yellow/orange events get the new sound?

I would reeeeallly like to be able to set up camp while caravaning with a 24 hour limit like the temporary maps that generate for events. I'm attempting to travel to the ship for the first time and it is just too hard to get there without having to settle every so often due to running out of food or somesuch. Settling wastes days getting setup for even a short stay. Especially if your pawns are starving or having mental breaks. So frustrating!  Plus pawns lose all joy while caravaning, so they just want to run off and  stargaze instead of hauling your stuff that's been dumped on the ground to a safe spot. Like I said, frustrating! Whereas the temp maps I can forage enough for another day or two within 24 hours then get on the road again. If you feel it would make the game too easy then set up a time limit so you can only set up camp every 24 hours or something. But honestly, the fact you lose a day and there's no guarantee what the map will generate (sometimes those 24 hour maps have little to no food!) it balances it out.

Also pawns still lose all joy while caravaning which also contributes to the delay in getting going again.

And lastly, I'm not sure I like that bedrolls have no quality. Seems weird that you need to put a bedside table next to them to improve their comfort.

Trading seems better balanced again. But maybe that's just my imagination. Lol Though I do find it strange that both tribal and outlander towns will pay exactly the same for the same item.

Yoshida Keiji

Incapacitated refugee world quest incident needs better locations, assuming its RNG designed.

In my current game the character in need of rescue has 6.0 days of life, but the distance for me to that person takes 6.4 days (dies before I can get there), then forming a quick rescue team will probably take half a day, and not to mention if I have to fight my way to the refugee within the mini-map and then even patch up that person...

You should drop refugee somewhere closer so that the days of life is the travel time minus two days or something like that. Mind you I haven't gone caravanning yet in my Lost Tribe scenario, so I don't know if the caravanning has been improved somehow.

Yoshida Keiji

In Tropical Swamp, there are many tiles in which we cannot build upon.

So when I want to build rooms, I find myself dragging the structure wall blueprints in adjacent lines until I form a nice square. But making lines after lines is kinda slow. I would prefer to be able to make 14x14 square blueprints of walls, to figure out where is suitable to build rooms.

RemingtonRyder

Pause the game, use the growing zone tool (you cannot grow on mud or swamp either) and drag it out. Then you can use the planning tool to decide where your buildings should be, then you can get rid of the growing zone(s).

Ragnarok

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 29, 2017, 03:20:53 AM

So when I want to build rooms, I find myself dragging the structure wall blueprints in adjacent lines until I form a nice square. But making lines after lines is kinda slow. I would prefer to be able to make 14x14 square blueprints of walls, to figure out where is suitable to build rooms.

Can't you use the planning tool to see which tiles are buildable?

Crow_T

Some graphics feedback:
The new wood floor tiles are a bit dull/muddy compared to the previous ones. The original tiles are warmer and have a bit more contrast.

The pink trees, not a fan at all. They change the entire feel of the environment, and not in a good way. I think maples could be a dark green and/or have some contrasting greens.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

TheMeInTeam

I think best for this would be a subtle contrast of where you can place whatever you've selected to build in the game vs places you can't place it.  Could be faint green vs red (or whatever else would contrast well to colorblind also).  The in-game solutions right now still make it visually difficult in a few cases.

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: Ragnarok on October 29, 2017, 05:55:21 AM

Can't you use the planning tool to see which tiles are buildable?
IIrc, the planning tool will draw over tiles even if you can't build there. Mud and undiscovered rock, for example.

faltonico

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on October 28, 2017, 06:42:56 PM

locals will have names for places, even if they aren't on a map, or even universally agreed upon. We just have the advantage of floating above the world looking at it.
And how did you know from them how did they named that? If it is true, every encampment should have its naming for all the landscape in the world, meaning multiple names for every thing on the map.
I would rather have a discovery mechanics in which you have to move to a place to name it.

BTW Making stuff up to explain situations is something humanity does pretty well.