Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: Snafu_RW on November 06, 2017, 06:08:03 PM
Inspiration mechanic: Why give brawlers the possibility of having a shoot frenzy? (prolly other odd mechanics too..)
I can't decide which is funnier. My brawler with a shooting frenzy or my lazy no skilled laborer with a work frenzy.

PhantomFav

Precisely, what are the mental inspirations' causes? In 15 hours of games I had 13 mental breaks (2 tantrums) and 0 inspirations. I think the game needs more balance...

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: PhantomFav on November 07, 2017, 05:56:59 AM
Precisely, what are the mental inspirations' causes?

Good mood. I had a bunch of them after a wedding. They are the counterparts of mental breaks as far as i've seen.

MoronicCinamun

I've thus far had 3 inspirations and all were on the same person  ;D

lauri7x3

Translation:
german translation is missing some things in the new combat log.
also discovered serveral grammatical mistakes.
the trait coward shows the text from fast learner in german. something is odd there.

-new endtable only works if placed directly left or right of the pillow. why not above?
-new positive breaks and new incidents are awesome!
-its not clear which shell a colonist chooses when loading a mortar
-new caves and mushrooms are great. but some more use for the mushrooms would be nice. like poisons or fuel, etc
-the fact that the emergency sound plays now with any incident is kinda strange.. maybe need to get used to that
-great that relationships now dont end automatically when they have a little twist
-many quests are just not worth the risk when they are too far away. maybe need new balancing
-why do scarabs have skelletons?
-what are hidden sicknesses? or is this a translation mistake?

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on October 25, 2017, 11:18:08 AM

[...]

- As a tribe, I'm seeing raiders with assault rifles rifles + sniper rifles at normal or better quality and full health by early 5501.  These weapons are comparatively deeper in the tech tree in A18.  I have also fought off two raids with 5 of triple/doomsday rocket launchers between the two of them.  I also have a minigun, dropped from a raider rather than a mech.  With the game's raids scaling like this, the tech tree for researching this stuff loses a lot of its meaning.  You can't possibly research in time to defend with the same weaponry, and if you defend without said weaponry you have the weaponry.  Sappers aren't very scary when you triple rocket the sapping raider + others and then one of the others in that raid kindly provides another triple rocket.

[...]

I agree with this 100%, pirate raids dropped sniper rifles and assault rifles by the time I was researching Smithing LOLS. It is currently day 231 in my first A18 game in Tropical Swamp and I just started researching "Gas operation", so that means I'm still 10.000 points before I can start smithing assault rifles. My last raid of pirates coming in drop pods had 3 snipers, 1 had personal shield, other 2 had survival rifles. I think I would have had a "fair" fight if it wasn't because of lack of fire power from my side. So the summary is that you can salvage middle game weaponry from early pirate raids and stay over-powered at the start but then as you progress you will be unable to catch-up with threat scaling by the time raids come SWAT level.

There's definitely need of improvement in trade RNGs to get limbs replacements, bionics mostly, and I already visited an outlanders outpost twice and had two of their caravans come to my base. I bought a Bionic Leg at the first home visit because I'm already aware of bad RNG settings to the point that you can see some when you still don't have the sell amount at early stages and then barely see them again in offers. In my first visit to them, I bought a Prosthetic Arm while completing a Caravan request.

This is my Research progress by day 231:

Mind you, due to playing in Tropical Swamp, I took off many days off from research as the same colonist who is Intellectual is also the same guy good at Crafting. The other intellectual is the Cook. And due to the tree spawn every 1.5 tile as somebody else commented, I dedicated a good portion of my time fireproofing my colony. Maybe if I were playing in another biome, I wouldn't have "paused" by research development.

The tech-tree values need to be reduced for weaponry.

But of course, I feel there's a portion on all this that "IS" of course player's fault, mostly because it's the first time in Tropical Swamp in A18 unstable and I wasn't aware of Marshy soil negating building unless floored first with wood or stones, so my base design isn't optimal within my personal criteria, and this is officially the first time I find myself with a base that doesn't have a complete wall, unlike all my other games. I have a river crossing diagonally which just for fun I used as border for my colony's East side, big mistake. Now I'm gonna make sure that I wall off any side with a river and forget about romanticist design of having a river to wash clothes and gather water to cook, and fishing; none of which currently exists in-game.

My defensive structures building took a lot of time, mostly because I need to do a LOT of flooring or my pawns delay too much to get into defensive positions across the base, even when my designs are minimalistic. I think I need some sort of herbicide to delay plants growth.

Anyways back to research tree values, it is taking too long as a Lost Tribe to manufacture long range weaponry.

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: lauri7x3 on November 07, 2017, 09:55:42 AM
-its not clear which shell a colonist chooses when loading a mortar
-many quests are just not worth the risk when they are too far away. maybe need new balancing
You can designate the shells to load by selecting the mortar and modifying the work tab. I built specific mortars for specific shells since you can't unload the current shell.
I like the current risk, but I only go 2 or 3 days away from the colony. I might go further once I understand the stealth system for convoys.

Garry

I play on Randy Extreme Crashlanded 0.18.1704-0.18.1712 and campaign go nicely except  tornado  destroy half of my base and kill 3 colonist, so after 5 year in game time i have breakdown event every day 90% of the time its AC unit 10% its something else is this normal for A18? or its just Randy?also have thrumbo self-tamed.herd migration is super cool for harsh biomes like extreme desert where i settle so i don`t have any food problem,also i notice that raid of tribes people are smaller then in A17 even after 150-200 thousand colony wealth i have raid of 10-14 pirates or tribes in the other hand crashed ship part are quite strong last i have contains around 14 scythers and 8 centipedes.antigrain warhead item stash with sleeping mechanoids is too easy i just walk past them grab warhead and leave i expect they waking up when i get closer but they don`t so yeah this event needs to be a lot harder because of amount of damage this thing can do and healer mech serum item stash with two pirates and couple turrets defending feelsgoodman so i get into conclusion that difficulties of this events calculated with how much pawns you send on mission because i always send 3 pawns or less on that tipe of event, is thats right or what?don`t like nerfing in damage of shotgun
now it feels like meh weapon but yeah so far i like A18 and also like game perfomance increase on my shitty notebook in compared for A17

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Bozobub

Quote from: Garry on November 07, 2017, 02:13:57 PM...Word salad...
Garry, it looks like you make make some interesting observations, but it's REALLY hard to tell; your post is almost unreadable.
Thanks, belgord!

Daimonin

People keep complaining about looting weapons way before they research them, but I don't see that as a problem in general. Sure you loot tons of weapons. Most of them are crap though, either crappy make or old and worn out. Even if lukcy and get a superior 100% sniper rifle on a tribal start, so what?

It adds the story element, the powerful relic of war salvaged from the raiders and used by the tribes best warrior, passed on upon his death to the next and so on.

Once you unlock manufacturing, you can reliably create good guns of any combination you want to properly equip colonists, rather then relying on the luck of the drop and hoping for a superior shotgun, because the one you looted earlier is at only 19%.

TL;DR: I see no problem with looted weapons coming before research. Think of it as a story opportunity.

Edit: That said, I'd argue that at best looting a weapon that's in good shape (over 90%? normal or better quality?), and beyond current manufacturing abilities, ought to be a story that can show up in art. But that's about it.

RazorHed

So you can only get this through Steam yes no?

Garry

Quote from: Bozobub on November 07, 2017, 03:28:31 PM
Quote from: Garry on November 07, 2017, 02:13:57 PM...Word salad...
Garry, it looks like you make make some interesting observations, but it's REALLY hard to tell; your post is almost unreadable.
sorry for that,english is not my mother tongue  just starting to learn

Bozobub

Quote from: RazorHed on November 07, 2017, 06:39:28 PM
So you can only get this through Steam yes no?
No; you can get it directly from Ludeon.  In fact, this is probably the best way for you, and *definitely* the best for Ludeon (they don't have to share the profits with Steam).  You also don't have the issues of Steam deciding to update when you don't want it to, and there's no DRM.

I have the Steam version myself (it was a gift) and it's not crap, but the Ludeon-specific version is way better, imo.
Thanks, belgord!

Tynan

You can only get the A18 unstable test build through Steam.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Bozobub

Oh, pardon me!  I was thinking of RimWorld in general.  I also didn't know the open test build was Steam-only, so *thbphthp* one Bronx cheer for me ;D !

Thanks, Tynan.
Thanks, belgord!