Alpha 18 unstable test build is released

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2017, 01:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

It is disappointing that, with Alpha 18 currently available as an unstable opt-in, the individual currently holidaying in Banland didn't try it and realise that there was more to it than just adding new furniture.

For example, you can now:

• bring people back to life!
  • cry as a tornado expertly tears apart your prized bull
  • banish the guy who keeps lighting all your stuff on fire
  • live under the mountain without having to mine it out
  • harvest and cook fungus into appetising meals
  • regale your friends with a blow-by-blow account of how that pack of manhunting squirrels tore a guy apart
  • be inspired when you are in a good mood, making you more productive
  • have a refreshing cup of psychoid pekoe and forget about feeling tired
  • power your base with the chemfuel you refined from human meat
  • pistol-whip a fool in the face
  • arm everyone with revolvers and have a high noon showdown with raiders trying to take over your colony
  • be squished by a meteorite falling from the sky

East

New mental inspirations have been updated and I would like to talk about them.

Condition 1. Once you receive a mood bonus, you need a high mood.
Condition 2. You need a situation where the corresponding mood can be used in a time limit.
Condition 3. The die roll must succeed. It is because the mental disorder occurs with a certain probability.

In other words, it is possible in the later game. It is difficult to satisfy the condition that all three are passed.

----Work frenzy (1 day): Global work speed 2.5x
Always good!

----Go frenzy (1 day): Walk speed 1.5x
Always good!

----Shoot frenzy (3 days): Shooting hit chance improved as though the pawn is 10 skill levels higher.
Enemy raids must occur within these three days. This probability is very low by overlapping with three activation conditions. Especially when you see the message that the invasion is over as soon as the enemy raid comes, you will lose energy.

----Inspired trade
trade Rise Mental bonus will occur at a low probability of caravan NPC arriving or sending caravan. And there must be goods or silver that can be sold. The problem is that the actual impact on the deal is smaller than you think, although the conditions are more often than you think. In the later game, 300-400 does not have much meaning in this game.

----Inspired recruitment
There must be a prisoner and it should happen to a social character. Very low probability.

----Inspired surgery
There should be a patient to be operated on and a doctor should be available. More importantly, the probability of surgery in later games is easily over 100%. It is useless.

----Inspired art
Artists are not as good as artists themselves.

so ..
I do not want something OP. However, it is not funny to be completely useless or to disappear with time over when an event occurs.

This inspiration is seen in late games that can satisfy the mood. So once you do, I think it's a good idea to give something that is actually useful even with a small gain. Work efficiency and movement speed affecting all parts.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: MarvinKosh on November 13, 2017, 04:51:26 PMbe squished by a meteorite falling from the sky

Has anyone confirmed the meteorites can kill people?

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Snafu_RW

Quote from: East on November 13, 2017, 05:08:16 PM
New mental inspirations have been updated and I would like to talk about them.

Condition 1. Once you receive a mood bonus, you need a high mood.
QuoteYou've reversed these two I believe: your pawns need a high mood to receive the bonus
Condition 2. You need a situation where the corresponding mood can be used in a time limit.
Condition 3. The die roll must succeed. It is because the mental disorder occurs with a certain probability.

In other words, it is possible in the later game. It is difficult to satisfy the condition that all three are passed.

----Inspired trade
trade Rise Mental bonus will occur at a low probability of caravan NPC arriving or sending caravan. And there must be goods or silver that can be sold. The problem is that the actual impact on the deal is smaller than you think, although the conditions are more often than you think. In the later game, 300-400 does not have much meaning in this game.

----Inspired recruitment
There must be a prisoner and it should happen to a social character. Very low probability.

----Inspired surgery
There should be a patient to be operated on and a doctor should be available. More importantly, the probability of surgery in later games is easily over 100%. It is useless.
IME the trade bonus works well when /buying/ from NPCs (if you're lucky/planned colony placement you can get bionics for half price!) Less so with /selling/ to NPCs, as the default -70% price debuff kicks in :( However, with careful colony placing you /can/ use that trade boost to good effect pre drop-pods (I've done it)

Recruitment: I don't think it matters which pawn gets the buff; I believe the 100% chance to recruit happens no mattter how good they are at Social (altho I've no idea if it effects 'incapable of social' pawns or not; likewise is there a Social XP boost to success using this ability?)

Surgery: I can see it helping with overwhelmed medics after a raid, especially early game, but as you say it's a bit 'meh' ATM.. unless there's an XP boost as above..
Dom 8-)

MikeLemmer

Quote from: skullywag on November 13, 2017, 05:36:55 PM
Can confirm.

Source: Am ded.

I find it hard to believe people are complaining about the tornado having a lack of player agency but not the meteor that randomly squishes part of the map.

Mst

Quote from: MikeLemmer on November 13, 2017, 07:29:06 PM
I find it hard to believe people are complaining about the tornado having a lack of player agency but not the meteor that randomly squishes part of the map.

By the way, how large is the meteor area of destruction? Is it total obliteration or some objects may survive?

Viewer

Adding to the meteor questions...

Once one has hit, is there a chance of finding minerals or chunks in the impact site?
How much of a warning does your colony get? I would think a colony with a working comms console could have a random chance of receiving a warning about the meteor and an estimated time (days) before impact.
On that note, what about an option of paying a large amount of silver (10k+) to have the caller destroy the meteor before it hits the planet?

There are also a number of mods introducing missile-based weapons into things - it would be interesting if the colony could try and destroy the meteor themselves, using Intellectual-based activities like calculating trajectory, estimating fragment dispersal, and so on.

Dashthechinchilla

The meteor drops 9 to 12 squares of a mineral on the map. Can be anything from rock to uranium and silver. All one mineral. If it drops rock, it leaves stone you can smooth. Haven't seen it kill anything, but it doesn't explode on impact.

Viewer

Huh. I thought it would have more of an impact (pun intended) than that. Thanks for the reply.

mistomaxo

the meteor event thing sounds cool, but uh if like 6meters square of uranium hits a planet from orbit shouldnt like... a big ass area around it be reduced to a crater?

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: mistomaxo on November 13, 2017, 10:46:57 PM
the meteor event thing sounds cool, but uh if like 6meters square of uranium hits a planet from orbit shouldnt like... a big ass area around it be reduced to a crater?
I still want to know how a giant block of sandstone not only managed to survive being put in space,  but also reentry.

mistomaxo

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on November 13, 2017, 10:56:11 PM
Quote from: mistomaxo on November 13, 2017, 10:46:57 PM
I still want to know how a giant block of sandstone not only managed to survive being put in space,  but also reentry.

well, a little thinking and we can come up with something. another planet far away got hit by something even bigger, huge chunks of sandstone are flung away into space, a huge chunk approached your planet centuries later, but becomes a significantly smaller chunk by the time it meets the surface

but that still leaves the question of why everything within a kilometer isn't a crater

maybe it could be specified that the actual impact site of the main mass was elsewhere on the planet, and thus what lands in the player's map would be a fragment (of native stone or meteor fragment) which was flung free from the initial impact site at much lower velocities, skipping across the countryside until finally coming to rest on the player's colony map

heck, this is almost even better. then the actual impact crater can be added somewhere on the world map and you could send ppl there to look for more chunks of useful ore

Yoshida Keiji

The meteorite looks like a ball in flames, you will be notified on the landing spot and there will be a big shadow that gets smaller as it approaches. If you are in speed x1 when it happens, there's enough time to move out, but if are at x3 when it triggers... I have had many meteorites fall in my map, one is a 11 tiles uranium. Got a 14 tiles silver meteorite which crashed two deadfall traps of steel. Steel meteorites that fall on shallow water leaves no trace, but stone meteorites change the ground, which was awesome for a tropical swamp map. I probably wouldn't like the same meteorite if it falls on the few farmable tiles in ice sheet though.

Threre's really no need for more warning than that unless you are one of those who run RW in the background while watching youtube videos.

I believe there should be a lot of roof collapse in mountain bases for balance reasons but not sure what happens, I'm playing in small hills map with a river.

So far no meteorite hit my base.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Pipotin on November 09, 2017, 05:29:00 PM
"Fix: You can build floors on marshy soil."

Thank you. I wondered if this was a bug or not. In my colony it was way to easy to build a large base. That souldn't be possible in swamps before moist pump technology. Here is a picture of my colony, settings : tropical swamp, tribe, rough difficulty + permadeath, cassandra, no mods, year 5504.

I'm in the same scenario settings like you, except that I have a "huge size river" running diagonal from top right corner to bottom left corner. I will never choose huge river for tropical swamp again... For me building straight walls was impossible and while I like the idea of getting Moisture Pumps, which so far in nearly 3000 game hours, I was complexly ignoring them... they are very far/deep in the tech-tree. I just unlocked moisture pump in day 355, mostly because I read your comment, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered to research that one as I always ignore. I think even rushing for MP is too much to ask a player, we should have earlier access to similar effect but sooner. I've been watching "Swamp" documentaries on youtube about Louisiana, US, and I think it would be cool to have some method to build over marshy soil/shallow water, but at a higher expense. For me tropical forest/swamp life always recreated in my mind with convenient source of water, but game wise speaking...I will be avoiding rivers for these biomes.

Note that my base was designed long before the "fix".