cryptosleep casket hibernation

Started by Mayor mc muffin, October 24, 2017, 02:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayor mc muffin

Has any one here tried to set up turrets and hibernating all but one colonist in cryptosleep for winter to avoid striation. You think one person can maintain a base while every one else is a sleep?

Bakar

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Canute

Very curious, if i could build cryo caskets, i normaly don't got any troubles anymore too feed my pawns.
Unless you opend an ancient danger very early and got free caskets.

BetaSpectre

I used to do this, And it does work, though usually by the time I can get cryopods I can afford to make a mountain hydroponics system that lasts thoughout the winter.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Mutineer

Relative question, does withdrawal happened in cryo-sleep? Basically, If I put my addicted pawn to sleep will it waik up after while no longer addicted?

Canute

Cryosleep is like stasis, anything is on hold or very very slow.
Why should your metabolism be able to cure an addicted at this phase without get starved ?

Yoshida Keiji

The only thing that you need to be careful, is that the one that remains "awake" must be able to "haul" to open the caskets, but leaving only 1 out can be very dangerous, something were to happen to him/her and well...sweeeeeet dreams everyone....

BetaSpectre

You could set turrets to allow them to act as "switches" though it'd be risky to say the least and I wouldn't try it.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

asanbr

I have done this a few times.

Not down to just 1 person awake, but I've had colonies with around 10 people and put 5-6 to sleep to preserve food, or because they weren't able to do anything useful anyway in long periods (miners during winter, assassins, spare cook, etc)

TheMeInTeam

It'll work if you have a good setup vs raids.

And yes, ancient dangers can be cleared pretty early regardless of what is in them, allowing this to be available even for first winter.  There is an RNG factor as to how many caskets you find in there though.

crazyroosterman

this makes me wonder how long a base that was fully automated(or as automated as can be in vanilla rimworld) would last if every person disappeared in such a way that left the base it self in pristine condition....might try this my self though I rarely have the staying power to make a base last that long I always delete my colony's for one reason or enougher and start fresh after a while.

Devon_v

Depends on your storyteller. You might get away with it with Randy, Phoebe and Cassandra will grind your base down with raids since you won't have anyone to patch up the guns or repair sapper holes.

Best case is a wanderer joins event giving you a new colonist to let somebody else out of a pod.

I do agree however that a greenhouse and/or hydroponic set up will happen long before you have bulk access to cryptosleep caskets in most cases.