Micromanage Jobs?

Started by siks, October 24, 2017, 08:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: sadpickle on October 31, 2017, 11:03:02 AM
The most annoying thing for me is when after a raid, when the wounded should walk to a medical bed and STAY THERE because I had bed rest set to priority 1... they go lay down, doctor goes to grab medicine, starts walking back, then they (the patient) inexplicably get OUT of bed to go eat some berries while they bleed out. I have even seen this happen mid-treatment. The only solution is to expressly send them to the bed. It's a lot of needless micro (and post-raid is always crunch time for micro with prisoners and the like), for a minor thing that can have devastating consequences.

Do you also have "Patient" set to 1? Seems that patient is for life threatening and "Bed Rest" for more minor things.

sadpickle

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on October 31, 2017, 11:41:09 AM
The most annoying thing for me is when after a raid, when the wounded should walk to a medical bed and STAY THERE because I had bed rest set to priority 1... they go lay down, doctor goes to grab medicine, starts walking back, then they (the patient) inexplicably get OUT of bed to go eat some berries while they bleed out. I have even seen this happen mid-treatment. The only solution is to expressly send them to the bed. It's a lot of needless micro (and post-raid is always crunch time for micro with prisoners and the like), for a minor thing that can have devastating consequences.

Do you also have "Patient" set to 1? Seems that patient is for life threatening and "Bed Rest" for more minor things.
Yeah, they're both set to 1. The issue seems to be if they have any mobility at all, and they get hungry (pretty common after being drafted for some time) they decide to go grab food instead of waiting for someone to feed them. At least I think that's what's going on.

giannikampa

After years of playing i refined my micromanaging this way: add/subtract parts of your allowed area as long as you need something done before something else.

It may seem hard at first but it is not. Personally i don't remove home region, i set as home anything need to be repaired or cleaned, then restricting pawns in an area i resize from time to time at my needing does the rest.
Not that quality of life tho, must admit.
This won't solve some priorities issues you have to manage yourself but with experience you'll find what you need to force and what not.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: sadpickle on October 31, 2017, 11:47:41 AM
Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on October 31, 2017, 11:41:09 AM

Yeah, they're both set to 1. The issue seems to be if they have any mobility at all, and they get hungry (pretty common after being drafted for some time) they decide to go grab food instead of waiting for someone to feed them. At least I think that's what's going on.

OK, just checking. Was kind of hoping that is was fixed, because I believe this has been happening for more that a few alphas (possibly forever), but it does only seem to happen if they go to a medical bed willingly or their own bed at all. If you tell them to "Rest until healed" in a medical bed it doesn't happen correct?

Canute

Hunger and rest are the 2 top priorities.

And basicly it isn't that bad when a patient which can move is geting his own food. This free a doctor from the task to feed him afterwards.
The problem are that patient with serveral bloodloose try to do the same.
But maybe you should talk with some nurses, then you know how stupid some patient could be sometimes. :-)

sadpickle

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on October 31, 2017, 01:21:02 PM
If you tell them to "Rest until healed" in a medical bed it doesn't happen correct?
That is correct.

siks

@sadpickle I was going to actually say that in the main post, but I had never really used the patient priortiy before so I didn't and gave it a go.
Now that I've actually used it, it seems the colonists still don't care and still kind of just wander off mid-treatment even with patient being set to 1, it feels like it's had no effect.

Restricting areas is definitely a way of avoiding clonists doing some stuff, stuff like growing areas or jobs that you've assigned in the opposite side of the map that are being prioritised.
But there's still a lot of stuff that it can't fix even if you manually restricted as best you can. Getting colonists to repair before construction is somewhat one of them, since walls that need repairing and building could be right next to each other in most cases.