Mod Updates

Started by BasileusMaximos, October 25, 2017, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasileusMaximos

This is my first update cycle and I'm worried about having to update all my 110 mods.

It should be as easy as just waiting for everyone to update to the newest game but I have seen a few mod makers say they are going to make a seperate file for the A18 version of their mods, meaning I'd have to go back and manually re-subscribe to get teh up-to-date version.

Does this happen often? Why do people do this? I understand wanting legacy versions of mods for previous builds but doesn't it make more sense to make the legacies seperate mods while you continuously update the main file so you don't throw off people like this?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: BasileusMaximos on October 25, 2017, 01:33:36 PM
doesn't it make more sense to make the legacies seperate mods while you continuously update the main file so you don't throw off people like this?

Not really, as then the person running the already in progress game would have to go and find new mods, unsubscribe to old, subscribe to new, go through the hassle of the error stating that this mod wasn't used in game, make sure the mod order is correct. Much easier for a new game to start with new mods.

Really the best method is *always* install mods in manual mode. I have a stickied post in both the support forum here and on the Steam forums explaining how to do this.

Kiame

i personally prefer the steam auto-update. I just accept the fact that when a patch comes I'll just start over. It is a few weeks of wishing for a mod to get updated to the new version and disappointment when a modder has left the community and their mod is no longer supported (i picked up 4 or 5 mods last go around and started updating them myself with the original modder's permission).

Auto updates are wonderful so that I get mod bug fixes without having to check out each mod page to make sure i have the most up-to-date version of the mod.

For my mods I plan to update the steam version to A18 once there's either a stable build or more likely once A18 is officially the 'current version'. At that point anyone wanting the legacy-A17 version can download it manually from GitHub.

dburgdorf

Quote from: BasileusMaximos on October 25, 2017, 01:33:36 PMIt should be as easy as just waiting for everyone to update to the newest game but I have seen a few mod makers say they are going to make a seperate file for the A18 version of their mods....

That's what I did when a17 came out, and I'll do the same for a18.

I'm not going to implicitly tell the folk using my mods, "Hey, you have to update right now, and you can't even finish your current game."  That's not my call to make.  When players update to a18, they can install the new a18 versions of the mods.  Until they update, though, the a17 versions they're already using will remain unaltered.

It's really a non-issue for people who download and install mods manually.  But for people using Steam, auto-updates of a17 mods to a18 would completely screw their games in progress. Sure, when they do update, they'll need to subscribe to new mods, but that's less aggravating than having existing games trashed.  ;)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Canute

Quotei personally prefer the steam auto-update.
The is the nice but dangerous feature.
Not all modupdates are safegame compactible.

Kiame

Quote from: Canute on October 25, 2017, 05:11:52 PM
Quotei personally prefer the steam auto-update.
The is the nice but dangerous feature.
Not all modupdates are safegame compactible.

That is true but of the hundred or so mods i use i think that's happened once in the last year.

dburgdorf convinced me with his argument that it's better to create a new post on steam for each mod for the new version so people still on A17 can keep using it. It's a PITA but i'm done now =D

There's an added benefit that i can go ahead and post them now and let those testing out A18 also get some initial testing on my mods too if they want to risk it -_-

Jaxxa

My attitude is that the versions on the workshop will be for the current stable version of Rimworld (assuming that the mod has been update).
If you are changing branches in Rimworld then you should have the experience to get the Manual installation version from GitHub for what ever version you wish.

What would be better is if Rimworld could say that a new version of a mod is available and offer to update it, but not force it.

Canute

Quotedburgdorf convinced me with his argument that it's better to create a new post on steam for each mod for the new version so people still on A17 can keep using it. It's a PITA but i'm done now =D
For the forum i mention a similar thing a few releases ago.
So all thread get moved to the outdated once a new version get released.
At this way the rattail of messages of old replies would cut down for many mods.

RemingtonRyder

For me, it seems easier to just make a new posting for a mod than deal with the inevitable backlash when people who didn't want to update yet get the A18 version dumped on them.

Also, it just feels good to re-release mods. I don't like to assume that people will keep using my mods. With the Workshop being as full as it is, maybe it's a good thing that the mod users have to consciously decide which mods they're going to use in the new version of RimWorld instead of the default 'eh I'll just enable everything from the previous version', because you know how many times problems occur simply because one mod too many was added, right? ;)

crazybmanp

Still there is a problem with having to unsub and resub to every new split version of every mod. maybe the system needs a way to handle this, like have each mod contain a version of the mod for every version of the game? or something, anything other than the current system.