[A14d] Rimworld Zombie Apocalypse (v. 1.5 - July 26)

Started by Justin C, May 20, 2014, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoalaB

Quote from: Justin C on June 15, 2015, 04:02:37 PM
I'm considering making it so that zombies just ignore doors and only chase targets they can see. But I'm not sure if that will make them too easy to deal with.

Im not sure how difficult it is to code, but perhaps it would be possible to make them attack both doors and walls at random? And decrease the damage to structures if possible? Maybe even make some of them passive towards structures. A zombie is stupid in its nature - it should attack any source of sounds, including buildings, but it wouldn't know that a door is the weak spot, so the chance it would scratch walls is the same as attacking doors.

If all zombies are passive to structures I'm afraid they'll turn into nothing more than guard dogs behind gates. They will kill incoming riders but won't care the slightest for colonist behind the fence.

Btw, thanks for the hard work on this great mod.

cheetah2003

I'm considering making it so that zombies just ignore doors and only chase targets they can see. But I'm not sure if that will make them too easy to deal with.
If my 2 silver matters, if it were possible, to make zombies most 'in character', they'd have to be able to see someone go through a door, perhaps give them limited 'vision range' for this, like within 10 tiles of seeing someone go through a door.

Additionally, if a zombie 'hears' human activity with say.. 5 tiles, even on the other side of walls and doors, they'll try to get to it (attacking doors in the way.)

Those ranges may need tweaking, not sure.

Not sure if Tynan's new AI stuff regarding sappers would be helpful for this, or whatever available, but if Zombie behavior could be as I've described, that'd be pretty awesome and realistic.

For Raids, I'd keep that as it used to be, some members of the 'raiding force' attack the base directly, relentlessly, while some would go into 'mill around' mode with limits described above.  Newly risen zombies should 'mill around' too.

Needless to say, this is one of my fave mods.  RimWorld without Zombies just isn't nearly as fun.

Justin C

All right, for those of you who have been waiting for way too long, here is the pre-release version of A11 Zombie Apocalypse.

Major changes:
The Airborne event is now extremely rare by default, and the chance of it happening can be increased or decreased in the XML.
Removed all hardcoded text in the mod to allow for translations.
The Zombie outbreak will now start several days into the game, with a notice when it happens. Zombie hordes do not appear before then.
Zombie hordes should now be bigger than the Alpha 9 hordes, and smaller than the Alpha 7 hordes.

Let me know if you have any feedback. There is still time for tweaks before the official release, which I am planning for Wednesday.

Also, if a mod could move this back to the Releases forum I'd appreciate it.

Adamiks

I think that Zombies should infect by bites and jaw not by hands. To do this you will need to copy human body and change Jaw <group> to Teeths, change ZombieBlunt damage type to bite from blunt, and almost done - you will know how to do this.

This would be very useful, because in A9 all my colonists had prosthetics, because zombie infetcions and i don't think that someone would be bitten so easy especially when he knows where are the zombies.

Coactum

I should have the pre-release version up within a couple hours. Everything's done. I just need to do a quick playthrough to make sure everything is working properly.

How feasible would it be for them to cluster at doors similar to the warg, then have a small chance to have an interest in a door? Would add an element of suspense for people who turtle, waiting to see if any of them take notice of the entrance if they "hear" something.

As much as I couldn't wait for release, gonna hold on until you're all sorted!

Justin C

Quote from: Coactum on June 16, 2015, 09:25:30 AM

I should have the pre-release version up within a couple hours. Everything's done. I just need to do a quick playthrough to make sure everything is working properly.

How feasible would it be for them to cluster at doors similar to the warg, then have a small chance to have an interest in a door? Would add an element of suspense for people who turtle, waiting to see if any of them take notice of the entrance if they "hear" something.
It shouldn't be too difficult if the functionality is already there for the Wargs.

QuoteAs much as I couldn't wait for release, gonna hold on until you're all sorted!
This version is complete. I just wanted to give myself an extra day for testing just to make sure there are no bugs, because I didn't get to do as much testing over the weekend as I wanted to.

Quote from: Adamiks on June 16, 2015, 07:42:01 AM
I think that Zombies should infect by bites and jaw not by hands. To do this you will need to copy human body and change Jaw <group> to Teeths, change ZombieBlunt damage type to bite from blunt, and almost done - you will know how to do this.

This would be very useful, because in A9 all my colonists had prosthetics, because zombie infetcions and i don't think that someone would be bitten so easy especially when he knows where are the zombies.
That's something I'll probably look at in the future.

The bite chance has nothing to do with the limbs used for attacking. Raising your Melee skills and wearing body armor can reduce the chance of infection.

Coactum

QuoteIt shouldn't be too difficult if the functionality is already there for the Wargs.

I wondered that, although I had no idea on the door thing and if there was anything written in to allow for random aggression on objects like doors. I think it would make a really nice addition, it would make them "dumber" having them pool outside places and be a sort of lingering, relentless threat as opposed to being straight up, structured, raid-style aggressive if you decided to take the route where you lock your doors and play super defensive. Personally I think it would help capture that foreboding feeling that goes hand in hand with the zombie.

QuoteThis version is complete. I just wanted to give myself an extra day for testing just to make sure there are no bugs, because I didn't get to do as much testing over the weekend as I wanted to.

Oh. Well I know what I'm doing right now then, haha. Thanks a lot for all the work, I'm really big on zombies, introducing them to Rimworld is a match made in heaven for me.

Adamiks

Quote from: Justin C on June 16, 2015, 05:02:51 PM
The bite chance has nothing to do with the limbs used for attacking. Raising your Melee skills and wearing body armor can reduce the chance of infection.

I little don't understand... Are you mean that zombies can't bite arms of attacking colonist or...?

If yes this is even worse, because i think that there should be higher chance that you will be bitten in arm, leg (by zombie that is lying on the ground) than in the torso. You know, limbs are always closer to the zombie than torso.

Justin C

Sorry guys, Comcast was being Comcastic today. Internet, Phone and Cable went out for everyone in the area for most of the day. I should have the A11 release up within an hour.

Justin C

All right, the official release of Zombie Apocalypse for A11 is up on NexusMods right now.

http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld/mods/34/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Frimworld%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D34&pUp=1

v 1.3 - 06/17/2015 -------------------------------------------------
- The Airborne incident is now extremely rare by default, and can be disabled through the XML.
- Zombies no longer attack doors.
- The Zombie outbreak will now start after the colony is named.
- Reduced Zombie speed and increased health.
- Rebalanced Zombie unit priorities when generating hordes. This should result in larger end-game hordes than the ones from Alpha 9, which were smaller than they were meant to be.

Sorry for the delay.

thefinn

Quote from: Justin C on June 17, 2015, 08:21:07 PM
All right, the official release of Zombie Apocalypse for A11 is up on NexusMods right now.

http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld/mods/34/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Frimworld%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D34&pUp=1

v 1.3 - 06/17/2015 -------------------------------------------------
- The Airborne incident is now extremely rare by default, and can be disabled through the XML.
- Zombies no longer attack doors.
- The Zombie outbreak will now start after the colony is named.
- Reduced Zombie speed and increased health.
- Rebalanced Zombie unit priorities when generating hordes. This should result in larger end-game hordes than the ones from Alpha 9, which were smaller than they were meant to be.

Sorry for the delay.

I would admonish you, however, I am busy installing mod.

Justin C

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my last post, I moved all of the strings from the DLL to XML so anyone who wanted to make a translation for the mod is now able to do so.

Adamiks

I don't know about these doors... With this there will be no "last stand mode", when horde of zombies are getting closer and closer to centre of your base.

I know this would take a looot of coding, but if you could make "sounds" system in the game this would be just amazing. For example there could be silenced weapons (or colonists just would need to hold silencer like apparel in the inventory), and zombies would react on sound.

Justin C

Quote from: Adamiks on June 18, 2015, 04:55:01 AM
I don't know about these doors... With this there will be no "last stand mode", when horde of zombies are getting closer and closer to centre of your base.

I know this would take a looot of coding, but if you could make "sounds" system in the game this would be just amazing. For example there could be silenced weapons (or colonists just would need to hold silencer like apparel in the inventory), and zombies would react on sound.
I considered the sound thing, but it just wouldn't be worth the effort.

The "last stand" will still happen when raiders break down your door/walls. I think it could work out well. We'll see if people like it.