[A14d] Rimworld Zombie Apocalypse (v. 1.5 - July 26)

Started by Justin C, May 20, 2014, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin C

It was a design decision to not have Zombies attack walls. I want zombies to attack in large numbers, and if a zombie horde could attack walls most bases wouldn't survive that for very long.

In the Alpha 13 release I plan on bringing back attacking doors. Zombies aren't enough of a threat when they don't kick in doors.

Kadrush

Can you at least tell us where to code your mod to let us make zombies attack walls or doors?

Justin C

Quote from: Kadrush on March 06, 2016, 12:53:19 PM
Can you at least tell us where to code your mod to let us make zombies attack walls or doors?
As was mentioned by others in the thread, the default behavior of attacking changed in Alpha 11. Up until then when you set a target, the unit would automatically attack all doors between itself and its target. I noticed too late during the development of the Alpha 11 release that something in the code changed and that was no longer the case, and I made a decision to keep the default attack behavior for a release since removing their ability to attack doors was something I considered doing before then anyway.

The last version I worked on was Alpha 11. I have no clue what changed in the code between Alpha 11 and Alpha 12, and it's been almost 9 months since I even looked at the code from the Alpha 11 release. The fix could be something as simple as setting a flag when attacking, but I wouldn't know without having a chance to explore Alpha 12's code.

Kadrush

Thanks

I checked the mod files and I have one last question about zombie behavior.

When they dont see a path between a target and themselves (like a wall on the way) are their orders supposed to roam random, hunt, etc, or just stand still ("standing" order).

I ask that because I first started to notice this behavior with the zombies and now my common raids are doing the same, the attackers just stand still.

Justin C

Quote from: Kadrush on March 08, 2016, 05:51:23 AM
Thanks

I checked the mod files and I have one last question about zombie behavior.

When they dont see a path between a target and themselves (like a wall on the way) are their orders supposed to roam random, hunt, etc, or just stand still ("standing" order).

I ask that because I first started to notice this behavior with the zombies and now my common raids are doing the same, the attackers just stand still.
They're supposed to wander around aimlessly until they find a target to attack. They shouldn't ever be sitting still without doing anything. That probably means they are getting hung up somewhere when trying to find targets.

Kadrush

The order showing was "standing", after I remove the mod, the problem kept going. I guessed it was something with the game files on c:\user\... game folder, so I deleted, deleted the game, reinstalled everything and the problem was gonne. I guess that placing mods in and out messed up with something in the game core files.

Grimandevil

Quote from: Justin C on March 10, 2016, 06:23:39 PM
They're supposed to wander around aimlessly until they find a target to attack. They shouldn't ever be sitting still without doing anything. That probably means they are getting hung up somewhere when trying to find targets.
i havent investigated mod files at all, but from what i've clearly seen in the game, a horde spawns with 80% attacking zombies (roaming toward a chosen target, can get broken if no path), and 10% wandering ones (killing squirrels and unlucky bypassers)
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Justin C

Quote from: Grimandevil on March 11, 2016, 04:04:39 PM
Quote from: Justin C on March 10, 2016, 06:23:39 PM
i havent investigated mod files at all, but from what i've clearly seen in the game, a horde spawns with 80% attacking zombies (roaming toward a chosen target, can get broken if no path), and 10% wandering ones (killing squirrels and unlucky bypassers)
Yeah, that's intended. A large portion of the horde has an unlimited targeting range, so they just rush in and attack right away. Then the rest have a randomized targeting range, and they wander around attacking things that they see, turning groups of travelers into zombies and attacking colonists who wander too far away from the base.

Chaotic Skies

Is there anyway to get this to work with A12? Just curious, I'm not expecting it to happen if it hasn't yet :P
Farewell and Thanks for the Fish.

Kadrush

Hardcore SK uses this mod, probably modified and adapted to their pack.

Also if you google you can find a non-official a12 version of this mod, made by other users.

Grimandevil

Quote from: Chaotic Skies on March 14, 2016, 03:41:30 PM
Is there anyway to get this to work with A12? Just curious, I'm not expecting it to happen if it hasn't yet :P
this
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Larn

hy im new in this game and played without a mod, now im downloading this mod with CCL but i cant create a new world/map, if i click on the generate button it still does nothing... bug? :(

Grimandevil

might be a bug with new CCL version. need others to confirm.

Larn

@Grimandevil

ye, last post here is 2015 and the CCL is from 2016....

edit: lol i found the fail, i activate the CCL packs in wrong succession

Enginefoehammer