[A14d] Rimworld Zombie Apocalypse (v. 1.5 - July 26)

Started by Justin C, May 20, 2014, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

II7II LOCKDOWN

Thank you for the update Justin, this mod is well worth the wait, it could be next release when the a13 version comes out and people will still love it the same :) keep up the hard work and keep your head up.

Vonholtz

Quote from: II7II LOCKDOWN on May 20, 2016, 11:05:48 PM
Thank you for the update Justin, this mod is well worth the wait, it could be next release when the a13 version comes out and people will still love it the same :) keep up the hard work and keep your head up.
I agree Justin take your time. This modb worth the wait.

lance789

9ofSpades

We appreciate your effort!

Any intentions of making this compatible with Combat Realism?At least for alpha 13 since Combat realism has been officially discontinued for now.   
I can just imagine the intense combat that would ensue from combat realism making this mod even more fun and difficult.

RagingLoony

Quote from: bechtoldj on May 24, 2016, 04:28:24 PM
We appreciate your effort!

Any intentions of making this compatible with Combat Realism?At least for alpha 13 since Combat realism has been officially discontinued for now.   
I can just imagine the intense combat that would ensue from combat realism making this mod even more fun and difficult.

I'd like to see crawling zombies, well not crawling but zombies able to move with no legs, which i think can be done by adding the movement status to the arms of zombies as well as legs so if legs are completely gone it still has some movement from the arms. That and headshot only deaths, which I think is also possible by making its only critial organ the brain. but yeah being compatible with CR would be amazing!

Eddlm

Happy to see the mod is being updated! Haven't played the mod myself, but I've seen a couple of videos. I look forward to get the future A13 update and enjoy it myself.

I have a couple of suggestions about what I think would make the mod even more enjoyable, if the author doesn't mind.
(Keep in mind that I don't know the Rimworld scripting limitations, so I don't know if what I suggest is possible at all)

About zombie presence
I see the current spawning system used is a modified Raid. To make it more interesting/dangerous, I'd use a different way.

The idea: Define a "MaxZombiesInMap" threshold and keep spawning one/two wandering zombies each X days to reach it.
Why: Keeping a minimum amount of zombies always around would increase the overal tension a lot, and the delayed but steady supply of zombies would accurately emulate how zombie populations work. They aren't organized groups, but an inmense group of random individuals.

Going out for resources would still be possible, because of the delayed spawns. Players would wipe out the current zombie population and get to the resources as quick as possible.

The idea: Different seasons/events could modify the MaxZombiesInMap threshold.
Why: Things would be even more interesting if the mod took into account some of the vanilla events, like Cold Snaps, Toxic Fallouts, etc. This would make the experience a lot more dynamic.

The idea: Events. Big groups of zombies wandering to your area (not raiding you directly). A survivor trying to get to your base, chased by zombies. A strong wind that disables the Zombie Virus for a few days. A pawn contracting the virus randomly. A team of soldiers sent to your area to wipe out all zombies... and your pawns, just in case they are infected.
Why: Why not?

About the zombies themselves

The idea: Make sure that, if one zombie is attacking a pawn, nearby zombies enter combat too. Zombies should be able to comunicate when there's prey to others.
Why: Zombies should be aware of their surroundings and know when it's time to attack. This mechanic would help with that. Also, if you were to implement the "Zombie presence" above explained, it would help trigger massive attacks that would replace the current "Raids".

The idea: Zombie animals could be a thing. Either bitten or reanimated.
Why: You would be taking advantage of th Rimworld's natural animal spawning system to dynamically spawn zombies. Also, different locations would bring up different dangers, as there is a big difference between a Zombie Bear and a Zombie Squirrel.

The idea: Zombies always reanimate, as long as their brain is not destroyed.
Why: Losing is fun. Also, it would allow for interesting situations, like a zombie reanimating for the third time without jaws, arms, and  having broken feet. Each time they reanimate, the damage from the last kill would make them more and more inefficient, so they wouldn't be as much trouble as the first time.

The idea: Buried non-zombies would have a small chance of reaminating every X time.
Why: Apart of the "dead raising" feel, this would make burying your people still somewhat dangerous. Bonus spook points.

About the pawns
The idea: Your people would get a negative mood for seeing a zombie.
Why: This way, the mod would poke into the Moods feature of Rimworld!

Regardless of these ideas, I think the mod in its current state is awesome. As everyone says, take your time, Justin!

dareddevil7

Quote from: Eddlm link=topic=3635.msg224272#msg224272

The idea: Buried non-zombies would have a small chance of reaminating every X time.
Why: Apart of the "dead raising" feel, this would make burying your people still somewhat dangerous. Bonus spook points.
If the virus goes airborne everyone is infected and will come back unless the brain is missing. Having uninfected people come back from the dead would be frustrating. Also, because of the change to graves making them a container instead of a 2 by 1 stockpile with special effects.

9ofSpades

Quote from: Eddlm on May 26, 2016, 01:38:36 PM
Zombies should be aware of their surroundings and know when it's time to attack. This mechanic would help with that. Also, if you were to implement the "Zombie presence" above explained, it would help trigger massive attacks that would replace the current "Raids".

I like all your ideas but perhaps having decoys to attract zombies and traps for them to get stuck on would aid in creating a well rounded experience. Adding the spontaneity you suggested would create a more believable world and I think it would be a great addition. 

dareddevil7

Quote from: RagingLoony on May 25, 2016, 08:12:37 AM
I'd like to see crawling zombies, well not crawling but zombies able to move with no legs, which i think can be done by adding the movement status to the arms of zombies as well as legs so if legs are completely gone it still has some movement from the arms. That and headshot only deaths, which I think is also possible by making its only critial organ the brain. but yeah being compatible with CR would be amazing!
They already have head only stay down, also, make the arms count towards movement speed would mean they would move slower if their arms got shot off and their legs were fine

Dragoon

Quote from: Eddlm on May 26, 2016, 01:38:36 PM

The idea: Events. few days. A pawn contracting the virus randomly.
Why: Why not?

About the pawns
The idea: Your people would get a negative mood for seeing a zombie.
Why: This way, the mod would poke into the Moods feature of Rimworld!

Losing is not fun when it's because of a dumb reason.
1. Why not? Easy answer, because that is unrealistic, no it's not fun in any way to lose a pawn because of a random event. Great a random pawn gets infected at a random time without being touched. Where you say? On the torso or head of course. No way to remove those body parts, but lets do it anyway. My pawn has to lose an arm or leg (if they are lucky) and the game only recently started and now one of my few pawns are armless/legless with no way to replace that body part for quite a long time. great.

2.We have enough problems keeping pawns sane as is why would you add that in, they get a negate feeling for even seeing dead bodies, it would be better to just leave it at that unless the person who is now a zombie was a close friend or family member.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Eddlm

Yeah, it would probably be frustrating, given there is no cure for the virus. However, I still think the rest of the events could be interesting. And not neccesarily every few days! The timeframe would, ovbiously, be decided by Justin. These are just ideas.

I agree on 2 too. Limiting that to friends/family would make more sense.

xeonxifiaction

Can anyone give any news on this mods progress? Maybe Justin perhaps? I know real life comes first and all, but updates would be nice :) Just wondering if a prototype for A13 was up or not.

CronxMark

Yep - Been looking forward to this for a while, mainly as my g/f is well into her Zombie fiction and would give me an excellent excuse to play a lot more Rimworld!  :P

The King of Nipples

will this ever be for A13 because I do not have A11 and this seems really cool

SmartererThanYou

Quote from: The King of Nipples on June 09, 2016, 06:01:30 PM
will this ever be for A13 because I do not have A11 and this seems really cool

It's a WIP. Love the name by the way.