[A14d] Rimworld Zombie Apocalypse (v. 1.5 - July 26)

Started by Justin C, May 20, 2014, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSS

Quote from: steveuk on May 29, 2014, 11:15:23 PM
I'm not too keen on the boss zombie idea unless a buff was added to the heavier set zombies. Again, perhaps a traditional and more modern choice would be good. A mod was created for State of Decay which catered for nearly all tastes. I of course chose Romero :)

I don't have the mod installed yet, but perhaps bosses should be fast, rather than slow? Having a hulking boss that won't go down easy is a lot less scary than a lightning-fast zombie with lower health, but is hard to hit in the first place because of said speed. (In perspective: A zombie with both the "runner" and "tough" traits.)

Justin C

Quote from: a89a89 on May 30, 2014, 05:12:45 PM
DO I need a new save to make this work?
Yes.

Quote from: spatula on May 30, 2014, 05:51:15 PM
hmmm, i just had a thought.

what about a common event: "a group of survivors is joining your colony"?

it fits more with the zombie genres of small groups of humans travelling together, solves the "depopulation via bites" issues by adding more colonists, more frequently... aaaaannnddd....

alternate event: a group of survivors is joining the colony... one looks a bit off...
(ie. one of them is already bitten- it doesn't say who though!)

imagine, you get a group of three joining the colony, but one is losing health over time and stealing medpacks. You decide to arrest him and schedule an execution, but this upsets the whole colony as a result and one of your best farmers decides to leave... only to be greeted by an onslaught of zombies at the gates... muhahaha. the drama.
I was considering making it so on occasion, groups of travelers could have someone who was bit with them. So they could show up and maybe you wouldn't notice that one of them is slowly bleeding out. And then they'd wander off and collapse somewhere you aren't really paying attention to and... SURPRISE!

Making groups of survivors join is a good idea, but it could completely throw off the balance of the game if not done carefully. I suppose I could look at the Storyteller settings and only allow the event to happen if you are low on colonists. Actually, that could work out well. I will throw this idea in the pile of ideas I am considering.

mrofa

Or just make huge waves of zombies with some info about it day or two before
All i do is clutter all around.

user27

are the zombies like raiders and the other attackers but just with hostility to everyone?
couse if thay are..   who else is going to try to capture a few zombies and rehabilitate them?

Justin C

Quote from: user27 on May 31, 2014, 01:48:43 PM
are the zombies like raiders and the other attackers but just with hostility to everyone?
couse if thay are..   who else is going to try to capture a few zombies and rehabilitate them?
Nope, my Zombies are more than just really unfriendly raiders. They have completely unique behavior, which includes being reanimated from the dead and infecting your colonists and other humans by biting them. Also they cannot be captured because when they are incapped I just kill them immediately and treat it like a headshot, and just to be safe they have a recruitment difficulty of 100. :P

Rex705

How about adding some zombie defense stuff like traps and zombie proof walls. I am imagining a walled off colony with zombies wondering around outside. Inside the walls you are safe life is good but when you need to go outside the walls that's when things get scary. A lot like Walking Dead and the prison colony. Also maybe zombies can have range they can spot you and come for you but if your colonist can run fast enough and get them stuck in traps they can get out of the zombies range of detection and make it back inside the base and the zombies will lose interest and wonder off waiting for the next meal.

steveuk

Quote from: SSS on May 30, 2014, 07:00:46 PM
Quote from: steveuk on May 29, 2014, 11:15:23 PM
I'm not too keen on the boss zombie idea unless a buff was added to the heavier set zombies. Again, perhaps a traditional and more modern choice would be good. A mod was created for State of Decay which catered for nearly all tastes. I of course chose Romero :)

I don't have the mod installed yet, but perhaps bosses should be fast, rather than slow? Having a hulking boss that won't go down easy is a lot less scary than a lightning-fast zombie with lower health, but is hard to hit in the first place because of said speed. (In perspective: A zombie with both the "runner" and "tough" traits.)
I have already slowed the zombies down in my game so the thought of a faster than vanilla type goes against the grain lol

Justin C

The Alpha 4 version is up on NexusMods now. The ModDB version should be authorized soon.

I'll be rewriting the OP of this thread and posting some new screenshots later. I'll also be making a quick post on ModDB about the changes between this version and the last and my plans for future changes sometime tonight.

LittleMikey

Got attacked by a horde of about a dozen zombies when I had four villagers, game over after 22 hours. 10/10

Justin C

Quote from: LittleMikey on June 02, 2014, 06:10:14 AM
Got attacked by a horde of about a dozen zombies when I had four villagers, game over after 22 hours. 10/10
lol. That's just poor luck. While I was testing it I was thinking that maybe I should give people a bit more time to build up in the beginning, and maybe reduce the hoard sizes a bit, but I'm not sure that it's a bad thing that you can't make it to day 300 with my zombie mod active.

mrofa

Dunno the slower version is kinda easy wouldnt have a problem with day 300, especialy when they like to hug my combat dummy :D

Justin C

I just found a playthrough of Rimworld with this mod active on YouTube, so I figured I would link it here. So thanks to Belannaer for the playthrough!

Here is the first video in the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHo2nX8tWm0

And here is his Twitch livestream:
http://www.twitch.tv/belannaer/profile

Rex705

mrofa

If you got a zombie proff walls then zombies arent a problem and you end up with a game of farmvile, that have no challenge at all.

Justin C

Also, walls are already zombie-proof. :P

Zombies will attack doors, but they will not attack walls.