[A14d] Rimworld Zombie Apocalypse (v. 1.5 - July 26)

Started by Justin C, May 20, 2014, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivia

I really like this mod, so many wondering zombies around and no humans can reach my base, I'm forced to close my base and only open the gate for well armed squads for some special resources gathering, like weapons or centipedes body xD
But.. zombie meats need to be out of the default ingredients xD

Avis

Quote from: Ivia on June 09, 2014, 04:18:00 AM
zombie meats need to be out of the default ingredients xD

Maybe the zombie disease is a bacteria? and you can kill it by cooking it? or perhaps the cook stove is advanced enough to sanitize food completely?
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

Ivia

Quote from: Avsnoopy on June 09, 2014, 10:03:59 AM
Quote from: Ivia on June 09, 2014, 04:18:00 AM
zombie meats need to be out of the default ingredients xD

Maybe the zombie disease is a bacteria? and you can kill it by cooking it? or perhaps the cook stove is advanced enough to sanitize food completely?
Maybe, but the point is they are still human fresh.. not so fresh anyway.
And about the default thing, they are also default in the butcher table, and strangely 'not' default in the crematorium, like they are a food source in any normal view, which is very strange.
Colonists will have bad mood if they butcher a humanoid(Butchered humanoid), and if they eat one, things will get worse because they got another bad mood 'Cooked cannibalism'.
About the disease part, I have tested to let them keep eat 'Zombie meat', no one got the disease but the bad mood 'Raw cannibalism'.

So.. I don't really think it's about can or cannot, I think the maker just forgot to set it as not a default :)

Justin C

Yeah, it's just how the default settings of the butcher table/cook stove and crematorium work. It's a simple fix which I've been putting off/forgetting for a while now. I'll make sure I get a fix for it in the next release.

Scotty

hmmm, on the latest release i did not encounter any zombies at all for 7 nights?

Ivia

Quote from: Justin C on June 09, 2014, 02:18:32 PM
Yeah, it's just how the default settings of the butcher table/cook stove and crematorium work. It's a simple fix which I've been putting off/forgetting for a while now. I'll make sure I get a fix for it in the next release.

Thanks, btw, I think you can make raw zombie meats have a chance to let people got the disease xD
They need to butcher it first and have to setting it as a touchable(non-forbidden items), so unless they want their people to eat it, no one will eat it, could be a last option to survive xD

Scotty

How long does it normally take for zombie to begin to appear?
Will they only start once i kill raiders?

Dr. Z

Prasie the Squirrel!

Scotty

I am asking the same thing my self,
I have the mod enabled and i have killed a few raiders but no zombies?

Justin C

Is anyone else having issues getting zombies to spawn? I haven't done a playthrough with Alpha 4F yet but I don't see why it should all of a sudden stop working.

EDIT: One thing I just thought of that might affect it is having mods that add more random events to the game. That could reduce the chances of the zombie raids happening.

NephilimNexus

This reminds me of a thought that I had about "The Walking Dead" and that is this: On that series, they have never proven that a zombie bite is automatically fatal.  Everyone who has been bitten on that show either A) is left to slowly wither, die and turn or B) is immediately killed by a shot the head to keep them from turning.

In the entire series, the only person who ever actually turned from a minor bite was Bill (1st season), and even then we never actually see him die.  We just see him comatose and propped up against a tree as everyone is driving off.  Everyone else who turned from a bite also suffered massive physical damage, most commonly their neck being torn out.  The sort of injury that would kill a person even if a zombie wasn't involved.  Again, only Bill ever got a minor bite (in the side of his torso) and was left alive for more than ten minutes afterward... and we never see him die.  Another factor in this "assumption of fatality" is that no one even bothers to try to help those bitten.  They just kill them after a few minutes of dramatic dialog (Andrea) or right on the spot without warning (Everyone but Andrea).

In the entire series the only solid evidence we see of a bite being fatal is during their stay with the CDC scientist, who shows a recorded video of x-ray footage of his wife dying from a bite induced fever.  They've also mentioned this fever several other times.

My point?  It's a fever.  While fevers can certainly be fatal, fevers can also be survived.  They can be cured.  Yet at no point in the series has it ever occurred to anyone to take a bite victim and give him/her some aspirin, penicillin, dunk them into a cold bath/lake or any of a dozen other proven remedies for fevers.  For all we really know the bite of a zombie isn't automatically fatal, merely dangerous (but survivable) and that our band of heroes have actually been executing their friends left & right all this time out of sheer lazy ignorance.

My, my, won't they be embarrassed when they find out that all they needed to do to save Andrea or T-Dog or any of the other who-knows how many bite victims that they've executed so far was to run down to the pharmacy and grab them a bottle of Bayer?  Because they've never actually tried that, or anything like that, ever, in the whole history of the series.

Sorry to derail the thread, but that's something I like to share whenever zombies come up.  :D

steveuk

Quote from: Justin C on June 09, 2014, 07:03:15 PM
Is anyone else having issues getting zombies to spawn? I haven't done a playthrough with Alpha 4F yet but I don't see why it should all of a sudden stop working.

EDIT: One thing I just thought of that might affect it is having mods that add more random events to the game. That could reduce the chances of the zombie raids happening.

Zombies appearing in my game ok. I was not using any mods though.

NephilimNexus: As the Walking Dead zombie is largely based upon George A. Romero's concept of what a zombie is. I think you can safely say that once you are bitten, you will die and then return as the walking dead. Unless of course the bite is on a limb which is then quickly amputated. But even then, the chance of survival is slim.
The fever is brought about by the viral infection and there is no cure.

Justin C

Quote from: NephilimNexus on June 09, 2014, 07:21:32 PM
This reminds me of a thought that I had about "The Walking Dead" and that is this: On that series, they have never proven that a zombie bite is automatically fatal.  Everyone who has been bitten on that show either A) is left to slowly wither, die and turn or B) is immediately killed by a shot the head to keep them from turning.

In the entire series, the only person who ever actually turned from a minor bite was Bill (1st season), and even then we never actually see him die.  We just see him comatose and propped up against a tree as everyone is driving off.  Everyone else who turned from a bite also suffered massive physical damage, most commonly their neck being torn out.  The sort of injury that would kill a person even if a zombie wasn't involved.  Again, only Bill ever got a minor bite (in the side of his torso) and was left alive for more than ten minutes afterward... and we never see him die.  Another factor in this "assumption of fatality" is that no one even bothers to try to help those bitten.  They just kill them after a few minutes of dramatic dialog (Andrea) or right on the spot without warning (Everyone but Andrea).

In the entire series the only solid evidence we see of a bite being fatal is during their stay with the CDC scientist, who shows a recorded video of x-ray footage of his wife dying from a bite induced fever.  They've also mentioned this fever several other times.

My point?  It's a fever.  While fevers can certainly be fatal, fevers can also be survived.  They can be cured.  Yet at no point in the series has it ever occurred to anyone to take a bite victim and give him/her some aspirin, penicillin, dunk them into a cold bath/lake or any of a dozen other proven remedies for fevers.  For all we really know the bite of a zombie isn't automatically fatal, merely dangerous (but survivable) and that our band of heroes have actually been executing their friends left & right all this time out of sheer lazy ignorance.

My, my, won't they be embarrassed when they find out that all they needed to do to save Andrea or T-Dog or any of the other who-knows how many bite victims that they've executed so far was to run down to the pharmacy and grab them a bottle of Bayer?  Because they've never actually tried that, or anything like that, ever, in the whole history of the series.

Sorry to derail the thread, but that's something I like to share whenever zombies come up.  :D
A fever is not an illness, it's a symptom. There are hundreds of illnesses of varying severity which cause fevers. Just because a fever is the most noticeable symptom of a zombie bite does not mean they are automatically as harmless as the kinds of fevers you and I would fight off with modern medicine.

a89a89

Justin C

It should. There were changes to the storyteller in 4F that may or may not have reduced the frequency of zombie raids. I will look into it over the next few days when I have time and tweak it if necessary.