[A14d] Rimworld Zombie Apocalypse (v. 1.5 - July 26)

Started by Justin C, May 20, 2014, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omni

Quote from: Justin C on October 10, 2014, 02:15:58 AM
Quote from: Omni on October 10, 2014, 01:27:49 AM
Quote from: Reaper on October 08, 2014, 06:04:08 AM
still drooling over all of this mod but the airborne infection...
I've always steered clear of this mod for what sounds like a random "you lose" scenario that could be looming over the horizon any minute. I could understand it as an optional addon, but I think it should be the exception, not the norm. Are we not understanding how it works or is it really an arbitrary game-over?

Quote from: Justin C on October 09, 2014, 04:26:35 PM[...] I could make it so if you destroy the brain they won't turn, [...]
That sounds like a great idea, actually.
The Airborne event won't happen every game (I rarely run into it when testing), and it isn't necessarily a game over. All it means is that after every fight with raiders the dead will start turning after a while. You have some time to burn bodies, and you also know that they are definitely going to turn so it's not like it's a surprise.

Well that sounds far less frustrating, glad to hear it. ;D In that case, doesn't sound like a game-breaker and I'll have to try it out.

Still:
Quote from: Justin C on May 20, 2014, 02:09:20 AMZombie Apocalypse/Airborne Zombie Virus
- The zombie virus goes airborne and affects all humans and corpses. All human corpses will start reanimating even if they were never bitten while living.
- This incident never ends. Once the virus goes airborne, everyone is infected.

I originally thought "everyone is infected" meant "everyone would start the process of turning into a zombie". But even with a corrected understanding, wouldn't this mean that any colonist that dies would immediately become a zombie, or become a zombie shortly after? I love the idea of random raider corpses reanimating, but it might be nice to give a colonist who has fought hard a proper "funeral", no zombification involved. As in, it'd be nice if a dead friend isn't ALWAYS a threat once that event occurs. (Then again, that could be part of the fun.) I'd like any zombification of my colonists to feel like my fault for not protecting them, not simply a default consequence of death.

MisterLock

I originally thought "everyone is infected" meant "everyone would start the process of turning into a zombie". But even with a corrected understanding, wouldn't this mean that any colonist that dies would immediately become a zombie, or become a zombie shortly after? I love the idea of random raider corpses reanimating, but it might be nice to give a colonist who has fought hard a proper "funeral", no zombification involved. As in, it'd be nice if a dead friend isn't ALWAYS a threat once that event occurs. (Then again, that could be part of the fun.) I'd like any zombification of my colonists to feel like my fault for not protecting them, not simply a default consequence of death.

Pretty sure Justin already explained this...When the airborn incident hits,it will never go away,It's basically The Walking Dead style,If you know a little about the walking dead,you would know the time it takes a person to turn into a walker varies,so I think this is what Justin wants to acomplish with this Airborn virus incident.Long story short,you will have some time to deal with the bodies,before they start chomping on your colonists...That includes burials for your proper colonists downed in raids.

Other then that...I really am not trying to be rude,but this is really dumb...Why would anyone make a event in his own mod that basically kills the colony...Like I said what Justin means was a infection like TWD....I really really,don't know how you could of thought of this,did you never watch a zombie movie or something before.
To each his own.

Omni

Quote from: MisterLock on October 10, 2014, 07:54:02 AMPretty sure Justin already explained this...When the airborn incident hits,it will never go away,It's basically The Walking Dead style,If you know a little about the walking dead,you would know the time it takes a person to turn into a walker varies,so I think this is what Justin wants to acomplish with this Airborn virus incident.Long story short,you will have some time to deal with the bodies,before they start chomping on your colonists...That includes burials for your proper colonists downed in raids.

Other then that...I really am not trying to be rude,but this is really dumb...Why would anyone make a event in his own mod that basically kills the colony...Like I said what Justin means was a infection like TWD....I really really,don't know how you could of thought of this,did you never watch a zombie movie or something before.
My apologies for asking questions that have been asked before. And I was wondering the same thing (about the purpose of an event that kills the colony), but it seems it I just didn't quite understand the explanation. And no worries about being rude; you're fine so far. Even if you do say anything a bit rude, I've got a tough enough skin. :D

And certainly I've seen plenty of zombie movies, but I probably lean toward more classic depictions. Zombies, specifically the slow kind, serve as a wonderful metaphor for and personification of our fears of death. Simon Pegg wrote about the subject. A key point there is the concept that your true enemy isn't the zombies themselves, it's the potential of making a mistake. Zombies are easy enough to avoid if you keep your wits about you, but death might be as simple as forgetting to close a gate properly. (Though translating the concept into a video game mechanic usually involves making them a bit more aggressive and dangerous, as it's very difficult to get across that mood without it becoming boring.)

Speaking of which, Project Zomboid. A fantastic game, though slow paced. ;D Looking forward to the features in its future.

MisterLock

Speaking of which, Project Zomboid. A fantastic game, though slow paced. ;D Looking forward to the features in its future.

Well well well,I guess great minds think the same,In fact I already know about project zomboid.I've been follwing that game ever since it's very early shell.Back then the game was nothing like it is now,I guess I could say i've been following it ever since the Pre-Alpha Tech Demo.That's what got me into lookin in a Rimworld zombie mod,that and TWD,and Justin here is a doing a great job,I really hope he finds the balance between modding and his RL and will not drop out on this mod like some other modders here did.

Edit:Isn't Simon Pegg the guy who played Shaun in Shaun of the Dead?
To each his own.

steveuk

Project Zomboid is fantastic and along with Rimworld, they are two of my favourite games. As for the airborne virus. There is nothing to fear. The dead will re-animate but once killed, remain dead  ;D
Make sure you research stone cutting and cremation as priorities and you should have no problems. I play on serious challenge level and have yet to lose a colony by zombification alone. I would also suggest slowing the zombies down a bit (Romero style). I normally make them slower but have many more of them to contend with so it suits my idea of a zombie holocaust.

Omni

Quote from: MisterLock on October 10, 2014, 02:22:58 PM

Well well well,I guess great minds think the same,In fact I already know about project zomboid.I've been follwing that game ever since it's very early shell.Back then the game was nothing like it is now,I guess I could say i've been following it ever since the Pre-Alpha Tech Demo.That's what got me into lookin in a Rimworld zombie mod,that and TWD,and Justin here is a doing a great job,I really hope he finds the balance between modding and his RL and will not drop out on this mod like some other modders here did.

Edit:Isn't Simon Pegg the guy who played Shaun in Shaun of the Dead?

Yup, that's Simon Pegg. :) The only reason I know he made that statement/wrote that piece is actually from Project Zomboid's old website. I remember the old tech demo, and OH MAN has it come a long way since then. That game is shaping up to be so amazing. Currently have the i-will-back-up-my-save branch set up on my Steam account.

Quote from: steveuk on October 10, 2014, 02:38:35 PM
Project Zomboid is fantastic and along with Rimworld, they are two of my favourite games. As for the airborne virus. There is nothing to fear. The dead will re-animate but once killed, remain dead  ;D
Make sure you research stone cutting and cremation as priorities and you should have no problems. I play on serious challenge level and have yet to lose a colony by zombification alone. I would also suggest slowing the zombies down a bit (Romero style). I normally make them slower but have many more of them to contend with so it suits my idea of a zombie holocaust.

Hmm, alright. That sounds manageable. Guess I just had a knee-jerk reaction to the thought of everyone turning. (Also, pretty sure I could just comment out the airborne event in the files, but I wanted to bring the potential issue to attention. Seems I'm a bit late to the party, though, haha.)

...was already considering manually slowing the zombies for my game by editing the files. I know it'll be futile in the end anyway as far as survival, it'll just keep the zombies as their delightfully slow, creeping, ultimately unavoidable selves. ;)

As a modder, modding mods is great fun. ;D

Justin C

Quote from: MisterLock on October 10, 2014, 02:22:58 PM

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere.

Quote from: Omni on October 10, 2014, 12:07:29 PMMy apologies for asking questions that have been asked before.
How dare you not read through the entire 25 page conversation before asking your questions! :P

sanya02

Alpha 7, zombie apocalypse v.1.0. A new world, a new colony, the inscription in the lower right corner, zombie mod active! But nothing happens !!!!!!!!!!!!! Killed his colonist, he lay for three days, and not turned into a zombie! And do not go zombie! What's wrong ??

MisterLock

Quote from: sanya02 on October 15, 2014, 08:53:34 AM

Alpha 7, zombie apocalypse v.1.0. A new world, a new colony, the inscription at the bottom right, zombie mod active! BUT NOTHING HAPPENS !!!!!!!!!!!!! Killed his colonist, he lay three days, and have not turned into a zombie! And the zombies are coming! What's wrong ??

I don't really understand what you are saying...What I am getting from your comment is that no zombies have come to your colony yet?But at the same time you later said "Zombies are coming"...I am pretty sure you just didn't phrase it right but then again I can't give a tip to something I don't understand...As for the "Killed his colonist, he lay three days, and have not turned into a zombie!"...That only happens if the virus goes airborne through some event,If the event didn't happen no corpses will turn into zombies.You can manually trigger the event through the event console in dev mode if you really want it.
To each his own.

sanya02

Quote from: MisterLock on October 15, 2014, 08:58:48 AM
Quote from: sanya02 on October 15, 2014, 08:53:34 AM

Alpha 7, zombie apocalypse v.1.0. A new world, a new colony, the inscription at the bottom right, zombie mod active! BUT NOTHING HAPPENS !!!!!!!!!!!!! Killed his colonist, he lay three days, and have not turned into a zombie! And the zombies are coming! What's wrong ??

I don't really understand what you are saying...What I am getting from your comment is that no zombies have come to your colony yet?But at the same time you later said "Zombies are coming"...I am pretty sure you just didn't phrase it right but then again I can't give a tip to something I don't understand...As for the "Killed his colonist, he lay three days, and have not turned into a zombie!"...That only happens if the virus goes airborne through some event,If the event didn't happen no corpses will turn into zombies.You can manually trigger the event through the event console in dev mode if you really want it.
I'm sorry, I'm writing through a translator! I'm from Moscow) NO zombies DO NOT GO! 20 days have passed and they did not go! A sign at the bottom right lights Activiti zombies! According to the idea if I kill the colonist it should turn into a zombie!

sanya02

ok! then after some time to come the red message "VIRUS AIRBORNE"? That the epidemic started in a neighboring town, and it is necessary to burn the bodies!

Justin C

Quote from: sanya02 on October 15, 2014, 10:20:28 AM
ok! then after some time to come the red message "VIRUS AIRBORNE"? That the epidemic started in a neighboring town, and it is necessary to burn the bodies!
Now corpses will start turning into zombies like you were looking to happen.

"Zombie Virus Active" means that zombie raids will happen. The raids can sometimes take a couple months to happen. When zombies attack they can infect humans they attack, and that is when they will turn.

"Zombie Virus Airborne" means that everyone is infected, and everyone will turn after they die.

So I guess the fact that so many people have been commenting about the time it takes for zombie attacks to happen means the timer is a bit too high. Do you guys agree that it needs to be turned down a bit?

sanya02

Thank you! Figured out, it works! Zombies are almost at the end of the month begin to come))

MisterLock

So I guess the fact that so many people have been commenting about the time it takes for zombie attacks to happen means the timer is a bit too high. Do you guys agree that it needs to be turned down a bit?

Nope,1 day reanimation time seems fine to me...I know it's way to complex for Rimworld but it would be awesome when the airborn incident comes,people reanimate based on the trauma of their death,being bitten and slowly dying by infection you would obviously take a few hours to turn while in dead body form,but if you are for example shot to death or stabbed by a raider,you will take way less to reanimate.Basically even more The Walking dead style.

Also something really weird happend to me,some tribals came by,atacked and some of them got incaped by my turrets,one of those incaps had his brain destroyed:Moving=None,Sight=None,etc.He eventually died from bloodloss,In most of the zombie media's I've seen zombies require a brain to function,but then again Gamey game has limitations right?
To each his own.

Justin C

Quote from: MisterLock on October 15, 2014, 03:36:23 PM
Nope,1 day reanimation time seems fine to me...I know it's way to complex for Rimworld but it would be awesome when the airborn incident comes,people reanimate based on the trauma of their death,being bitten and slowly dying by infection you would obviously take a few hours to turn while in dead body form,but if you are for example shot to death or stabbed by a raider,you will take way less to reanimate.Basically even more The Walking dead style.
I was talking about the frequency of zombie raids.

Currently if a colonist is dying from the zombie infection they reanimate instantly on death. If the virus is ariborne and they die without being bitten they take 12 hours to reanimate.

QuoteAlso something really weird happend to me,some tribals came by,atacked and some of them got incaped by my turrets,one of those incaps had his brain destroyed:Moving=None,Sight=None,etc.He eventually died from bloodloss,In most of the zombie media's I've seen zombies require a brain to function,but then again Gamey game has limitations right?
That's no longer a limitation in the game thanks to the new medical system. The mod just doesn't check injuries before reanimating anyone right now. Damaged and destroyed brains preventing a human corpse from reanimating is a feature that is planned for the Alpha 8 release of the mod.