A18 - A few ideas

Started by LouisTBR, October 26, 2017, 10:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisTBR

Fences and Gates:
A common wish of mine is to have a cheaper solution than walls to restrict growing zones, disallowing wild animals from grazing on crops. Fences would be cheaper than walls, but would have no cover bonus and could not be roofed over.

Blast Doors:]
On the subject of Structures, a door that has considerably higher HP than both regular and autodoors, but costs more and is slow to open. Would provide a thick defence for prison cells and entry-exit points.

A word on drugs + 'Immunizer':
Psychoid tea takes 4000RP, I think this is a bug however as it is put in with the lower-end research, but if not I think lowering it makes sense :)
Ambrosia gives quite a big high and is relatively cheap and easy to come by, giving it little downside as the addictiveness is very low. Increasing it would balance it out more with other, more expensive drug choices.

'Immunizer' pills - Crafted using Herbal Medicine and (perhaps) Psychoid, taking Immunizers alongside regular medicinal treatment for infections would speed up the immunity gain speed, making death/amputation less likely. These would be relatively expensive and would not prevent random infection like Penoxycyline does.

Extended Flooring:
As a way of varying the methods which players can use to beautify a room and providing more choice of nice-looking floor types, I think more flooring types (Like those in 'Floored' mod) would be a nice addition. For example, an expensive Mosaic floor (From stone, steel or wood) would
be an extravagant, beautiful floor type, whereas a very cheap Floorboard would be ideal for a neutral barn/stockpile floor. Ugly but efficient floors (Like concrete currently in the game) like Plywood could be an option for fast travelling along colony roads.

Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Limdood

Quote from: LouisTBR on October 26, 2017, 10:39:36 AM
Fences and Gates:
A common wish of mine is to have a cheaper solution than walls to restrict growing zones, disallowing wild animals from grazing on crops. Fences would be cheaper than walls, but would have no cover bonus and could not be roofed over.

Fences get suggested a lot.

A barrier block that can be shot through is INCREDIBLY powerful and potentially super game breaking.  Could you imagine defensive positions surrounded by 6 layers of fences?  never fear a tribal raid again!

If you instead allow pawns to move over them at reduced speed (also suggested a LOT), then animals would just do the same, since they share the same pathfinding and movement.

LouisTBR

Quote from: Limdood on October 26, 2017, 10:47:12 AM
Fences and Gates:

Fences get suggested a lot.

A barrier block that can be shot through is INCREDIBLY powerful and potentially super game breaking.  Could you imagine defensive positions surrounded by 6 layers of fences?  never fear a tribal raid again!

If you instead allow pawns to move over them at reduced speed (also suggested a LOT), then animals would just do the same, since they share the same pathfinding and movement.
I suggest that they are very, very easily breakable by pawns, and any enraged or starving animals will also be able to break through them as they would doors.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Limdood

even 10-20 HP, which is a tiny fraction of a wall, will take a few hits, and don't forget, they don't block shooting or provide cover.  I can stack fences 10 thick if i wanted....thats still walk up, stop and swing, walk a tile, stop and swing, walk a tile, etc.

If they follow the "stuff" mechanic, and are able to be made out of other materials, then a granite fence will still be a force to be reckoned with.

certainly long enough to blast down any melee attackers. 

Additionally, I don't really understand how you're looking for CHEAPER than walls, which only use 5 of a resource as it is....thats 4 walls per stone chunk, or upwards of 10 walls for a tree.

LouisTBR

Quote from: Limdood on October 26, 2017, 11:12:20 AM
even 10-20 HP, which is a tiny fraction of a wall, will take a few hits, and don't forget, they don't block shooting or provide cover.  I can stack fences 10 thick if i wanted....thats still walk up, stop and swing, walk a tile, stop and swing, walk a tile, etc.

If they follow the "stuff" mechanic, and are able to be made out of other materials, then a granite fence will still be a force to be reckoned with.

certainly long enough to blast down any melee attackers. 

Additionally, I don't really understand how you're looking for CHEAPER than walls, which only use 5 of a resource as it is....thats 4 walls per stone chunk, or upwards of 10 walls for a tree.
I'm saying they're cheaper because they do not provide as much of a cover, HP or structural support bonus as a regular wall, therefore to have them cost the same or more than a wall is a stupid thing to do, as they would have no benefit. And I agree, perhaps a slow-down mechanism rather than a structure would be more appropriate.

tommiethegun

I really would like to see fences in the game as well. I think this is the important bit that would need a new game mechanic:

QuoteIf you instead allow pawns to move over them at reduced speed (also suggested a LOT), then animals would just do the same, since they share the same pathfinding and movement.

I would love to see the ability for wall stats to be defined optionally by pawn type. The default for a fence could be 100% impassable, and then human like pawns use a different path modifier - like sandbags - so that people can pass and shoot over them.

Having animals see a fence as a wall and humanlike see a fence as a sandbag I think would give good gameplay balance, but would be a much bigger change to the game than an xml fence mod can do currently.

Bonus: adding this ability for pawntype specific wall attributes would let people mod in a new "ghost" pawntype for Halloween that would ignore all walls for its pathing and could pass through then unhindered!

Daimonin

On the subject of Structures, a door that has considerably higher HP than both regular and autodoors, but costs more and is slow to open. Would provide a thick defence for prison cells and entry-exit points.

You mean granite doors? Those are in the game already.

In case you didn't know, you can make doors out of more then just wood. Steel opens just as fast as wood but is much harder, various stone types give even more HP but at the expense of opening time. There's your blast door.

PS: Looking at Limstone door in my current game: it has 390 HP and a 45% opening speed.
Wooden door for reference has 100 hp and 120% opening speed.
I don't have any granite ones right now but IIRC they have around 450 - 550 HP.

LouisTBR

Quote from: Daimonin on October 26, 2017, 08:09:01 PM

You mean granite doors? Those are in the game already.

In case you didn't know, you can make doors out of more then just wood. Steel opens just as fast as wood but is much harder, various stone types give even more HP but at the expense of opening time. There's your blast door.

PS: Looking at Limstone door in my current game: it has 390 HP and a 45% opening speed.
Wooden door for reference has 100 hp and 120% opening speed.
I don't have any granite ones right now but IIRC they have around 450 - 550 HP.
Yes, believe it or not I'm aware that there are different types of door materials. I'm not suggesting a granite door, I'm suggesting a researchable blast door which has higher HP.

SpaceDorf

1.) Fences - Funny Thing about fences is, they work as you describe them in real life as well.
A curtain made from wire makes everyone walk around, even it is easily destroyed.
With different variations ( wood, wire, razorwire topped ) it is pretty useful.
Even though it prevents passing for everyone. If it has nearly no cover value and is easily destroyed by either stray shots or even melee it is no alternative to walls.
All it needs to avoid the mentioned issues so far is a little tweak in the raider AI, not the Pawn AI in general, because friendlies and stupids should respect your fences.
- Fences don't count for Raider Pathfinding and if encountered get destroyed by a few melee attacks. Which opens up tons of bad situations for the player  ;D
The same could be used for Manhunting Animals. And Animals could gain size-dependent abilities : Squirrels, Rats, Boomrats .. don't care about fence at all. They move right past it.
Elephants, Rhinos, Thrumbos .. don't care about puny fences either.
So, yes, please Fences.

2.) Blast Doors - As a follow up research on Auto-Doors, sounds reasonable.
Block of that cave or mine .. blast door. Why Not.

3.) Immunizer - In general you mean painkillers, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics ?
Yes Please.

4.) Floors - yes please, researchable better flooring in both directions : more stable like asphalt roads and concrete. More Beautiful and Useful on the other hand .. thinking how much the flooring of a room effects it's usability and climate I think this is a good one.
( hardened mud floor for example, prevents growing stuff in your early huts and looks a bit better than loose dirt. )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

LouisTBR

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 27, 2017, 05:16:39 AM
1.) Fences - Funny Thing about fences is, they work as you describe them in real life as well.
A curtain made from wire makes everyone walk around, even it is easily destroyed.
With different variations ( wood, wire, razorwire topped ) it is pretty useful.
Even though it prevents passing for everyone. If it has nearly no cover value and is easily destroyed by either stray shots or even melee it is no alternative to walls.
All it needs to avoid the mentioned issues so far is a little tweak in the raider AI, not the Pawn AI in general, because friendlies and stupids should respect your fences.
- Fences don't count for Raider Pathfinding and if encountered get destroyed by a few melee attacks. Which opens up tons of bad situations for the player  ;D
The same could be used for Manhunting Animals. And Animals could gain size-dependent abilities : Squirrels, Rats, Boomrats .. don't care about fence at all. They move right past it.
Elephants, Rhinos, Thrumbos .. don't care about puny fences either.
So, yes, please Fences.
Agreed. As with real life, a fence has effectively no stability and can be easily broken, but no-one in their right mind would do that just to walk somewhere.
Friendlies realise that it is one of your structures, therefore (As they would with walls) they would path around them. Larger animals would smash a wooden fence, but as you research sturdier fences (electric, perhaps), they will not.

Quote3.) Immunizer - In general you mean painkillers, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics ?
Yes Please.
Yes, but rather than having many different drugs to combat different things, I'd go with Immunizer = Antibiotics for wound infections, and Penoxycyline = Prevention of random diseases.

Quote4.) Floors - yes please, researchable better flooring in both directions : more stable like asphalt roads and concrete. More Beautiful and Useful on the other hand .. thinking how much the flooring of a room effects it's usability and climate I think this is a good one.
( hardened mud floor for example, prevents growing stuff in your early huts and looks a bit better than loose dirt. )
Yeah, packed dirt or something of the like would improve tribal, camp bases, high-tech flooring for large bases etc.
It would just flesh out the decoration choices and give more realistic, suitable flooring for different scenarios.