Just installed, Can't Equip a Weapon

Started by Rhylea, October 26, 2017, 12:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhylea

Hoping someone can help.  I just installed and have no mods.  I started to play the tutorial and was able to equip weapons.  I quit and started my first game, was unable to equip.  I searched through online forums and found similar issues with mods conflicting, game paused, incapable of violence, and sickness.  None of these are the case for me.  I even went back and tried to the tutorial again and it no longer lets me equip there.  Stuck... help, if you can.  Much appreciated.

Bozobub

Un/reinstalling may help (your saves will be fine).  If not, then you need to post on the bug subforum.
Thanks, belgord!

Limdood

1) you right clicked on the weapon while a pawn was selected in order to try to equip the weapon right?
2) the weapon wasn't reserved by someone else (a different pawn heading over to equip it already)?
3) Do you have allowed areas set up for the pawns?  The weapon might be outside the pawn's allowed area.
4) does the pawn have hands? I'd imagine so, but still a pertinent question in this game.

Rhylea

Thank you for your replies so far.  I tried the un/re-install, no luck.

Quote from: Limdood on October 26, 2017, 01:00:02 PM
1) you right clicked on the weapon while a pawn was selected in order to try to equip the weapon right?
2) the weapon wasn't reserved by someone else (a different pawn heading over to equip it already)?
3) Do you have allowed areas set up for the pawns?  The weapon might be outside the pawn's allowed area.
4) does the pawn have hands? I'd imagine so, but still a pertinent question in this game.

Thank you for these, but tried/checked these without success.

Keep the ideas flying.  Meanwhile, I'll submit the bug as suggested.

Devon_v

Quote from: Limdood on October 26, 2017, 01:00:02 PM
This is why I love Rimworld.

Calahan

@ Rhylea - Please post a save file where you are experiencing this problem (you can post it here rather than creating a new bug thread. I'll move it to bugs if there is one). If you compress the save file you might be able to post it as an attachment, otherwise please use a file sharing service such as Dropbox or Zippyshare to host the file and post the download link.

Rhylea

@ Calahan

Thank you for your help.  Here is my save via ZippyShare amber.rws

Calahan

Thank you for the save file. I loaded the save and can't detect any problems, and I was able to order your Pawns to equip weapons just fine (see attached screenshot).

So can you please try what I just did in the screenshot. So select Paola and right-click on the bolt-action rifle and report back with:

1 - When you right-click does a menu appear like the one in my screenshot?
1a - If yes, then what menu options appear? Do they match the menu options in the screenshot? (please take a screenshot of the menu like I did).
1b - If no, then does anything happen or appear when right-clicking?

2 - If no above then is the right-click menu working for anything? Is right-clicking itself working at all?
2a -Can you haul stuff with right-clicking?
2b - Does right-clicking without anything selected toggle the Architect menu?
2c - Does right-clicking on a Pawn's icon in the colonist bar (at the top of the screen) take you to the World Map?
2d - Can you open any of the menu tabs (that run across the bottom) by right-clicking?

My best guesses right now are that either there is something wrong with your installation, in which case a clean reinstall should fix it (step-by-step instructions here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4805.0 . Note a clean reinstall is more thorough than just reinstalling via Steam). Or, and if right-clicking isn't working at all, and if a clean reinstall doesn't fix it, then there is some problem with your O/S recognising the game and/or the active window. But that doesn't make much sense to be honest if you can left-click okay, plus you said it was working fine earlier on for the tutorial. So this is a bit of an odd one to be honest.

Anyway, please report back with the above and perform a clean reinstall if you still have this issue. If none of the above works then please post that screenshot I mentioned so that we can better understand what's happening when you right-click (if you save it in jpeg format you should be able to attach it like I did), as well as posting your log file as an attachment (in case there is some sort of error being logged that is caused by your computer setup and not the game or save). Details on where to find your log file can be found here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Rhylea

Yes, it's the same as yours.  See attached screenshot.  Question, did you wait to see if she goes and picks it up?  It will say it's going to, but the character never does it. Thank you for your assistance with this, it's appreciated.

Calahan

Yep, I checked to see if the Pawn actually equipped the weapon. See attached screenshot of Paola showing off her new rifle.

So where you say "It will say it's going to, but the character never does it", does the character (Pawn) just stop mid-journey and get stuck in limbo? Or do they change their mind mid-journey and start "Wandering" or doing another job instead? Or do they proceed to the tile where the weapon is but then do nothing once there? Can you please post a screenshot coinciding with where the Pawn stops going to equip the weapon (and starts doing something else?).

Also, have you tried stating a new game to see if the problem exists there (if not then please try it as it's only takes a few minutes and would provide useful info).

Must admit though that this is certainly one of the strangest issues I can recall seeing. Although I also noticed your right-click menu for Paola doesn't have the haul option like my first screenshot did. Is that because you disallowed (unticked) the hauling job for Paola? As if not then that might be... "something" in regards a clue as to the cause of this.

And finally... have you performed a clean reinstall yet? If not then I'd recommend doing that so that everything is reset, and just in case there's an issue with your installation.

Rhylea

The pawn just keeps doing whatever they were doing and doesn't even approach the weapon.  Attached is a screenshot of a new game after a clean install. I've also attached the log in case it gives you any info.

Not sure if this helps but initially when I installed the game and played the tutorial, it worked.  Since leaving the tutorial, it hasn't worked.  In addition, it no longer works in the tutorial.

Calahan

Okay, bit of a longshot this (and apologies if it's somewhat insulting), but are you *just* right-clicking on the weapon? As you also need to left-click to select the "Equip [weapon]" option from the right-click menu that appears. As *just* right-clicking would explain the behaviour you are experiencing and explain why the Pawn just keeps doing what they are doing, as right-clicking by itself doesn't actually issue an order. RimWorld doesn't have right-click move/attack controls like a lot of RTS games do.

Also please check the attached screenshot and notice the different colouration of the menu option, which is caused by the mouse pointer being over it at the time. So you need to left-click once the menu option is highlighted like it is in the screenshot.

If this isn't it then I'm pretty much stumped to be honest, and again I apologise if the above comes across as insulting simple/obvious, but I just can't figure out what could cause this problem apart from the above. Plus your log is clean (although you still haven't confirmed whether you've tried a clean reinstall yet).

Otherwise the only other thing I can suggest is for you to post a video of your attempts to: left-click to select a Pawn, followed by right-clicking on a weapon and left-clicking to select the "Equip [weapon]" option that from the menu that appears. (but I'm afraid I know nothing about making gameplay videos for any games, but it's a very popular thing so I'm sure someone in the community will be able to offer assistance).

And just for clarity have you actually directly ordered any of your Pawns to perform a task yet? So not just marking jobs to be done, but actually selecting a Pawn and then right-clicking to order them to perform a task.

Rhylea

I cannot believe how stupid I've been.  You are absolutely correct, I wasn't left clicking on it.  Wow, thank you so much for all of your suggestions and help and not being afraid to just ask me if I was being dumb.  :)

You're support for this game is amazing and I'll be sure to pass on how awesome you guys are!

Thanks again,
*crawls under the nearest rock*

Calahan

Well I'm just glad we got there in the end. And I'm actually quite relieved it turned out to be this because my idea box was completely empty after this longshot.

But now you know how to order Pawns with the right-click menu I think you'll quickly notice and learn a whole range of new options for playing the game and running your colony.

(Note: my original reply got moved to form the OP of a separate thread, so reposting the relevant parts above).