How to survive on hot maps with no trees, without a level 6 constructor (A18)?

Started by Lobstercraft, October 27, 2017, 05:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobstercraft

So when I'm starting without a lvl. 6 constructor on a map where the temperature is very high with 4 cactus on it.
Because of lack of wood I can't use the generator. So no electricity for the cooler.
Isn't the only way, to leave the map with caravan and travel to a better spot on the map or what?
I know I could randomize another pawn having higher skill in construction.
But I'm just curious because before A18 you could build fast a solar panel and a cooler
even with a lvl. 0 constructor and had a chance to survive. Maybe I overlook a better solution idk

lighthoof

Looks like tribals won't have problems with that - passive cooling is a starting tech for them. As for the crashlanded start - depends on how hot the zone actually is. Hunting animals and crafting cowboy hats and dusters asap may help

Lobstercraft

Yeah cowboy hats and dusters could help. But until I crafted some, my colonists would already start to burn. I Mean like maybe the hottest starting temperatures. One could change the scenario a bit to start with those clothes

TheMeInTeam

Do turbines also require 6 skill?  I run tribal consistently so by the time I have power someone is going to have level 6 construction (even if not interested) so I haven't noticed/checked.  It's odd to not even mention turbines since they should be at least a piece of any efficient power setup early-mid game.

Lobstercraft

Ok I tested it now. Wind Turbines need a level 4 constructor. My level 3 pawn couldn't build it. But the level 4 worked. At least a bit less harsh.
I forgot the turbines somehow :)

Songleaves

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Songleaves on October 28, 2017, 02:44:08 AM
Can also have your pawns active during night when it is cooler.

Won't work in very early game.  Heat wave is hot enough to prevent heatstroke buildup going down.  Ironically tribal starts used to have a very similar issue before passive coolers were added to the game; an early game heatstroke was instant death to the colony without counterplay.  Passive coolers are faster to research than electricity + AC (which is > 5000 points), but even then this RNG is painful and you can train someone to level 4 construction nearly as fast.

Limdood

Just did a pure random start in A17...not 18, but i've read this change...

All 3 of my completely random colonists were 0 construction, 0 growing (and hauling incapable, but i modded THAT out...).  The first raider to attack had 1 construction...he died anyways.  The first 2 visitors were 0 construction.  I had a pirate caravan come by.  I shot a nearby rhino and lion and ran indoors...one of the caravaneers went down, i rescued him, he wanted to join...1 contruction.

The random pawns in the game have very very low stats.  The items with required skill levels (machining, growing, components...and now construction) all have middling requirements...which is fine, but the tendency towards very low stats is somewhat troubling.  It is becoming much more common that every single pawn that joins is generally inept...and needs to be trained up.  It makes no sense...I'd much rather see MORE pawns coming in with a "good" skill or two, but on young pawns in particular (who lack the health issues and scars that can cause problems and are impossible to remove in vanilla), seeing a pawn with 2 small passions, and no skills above 4 is pretty common.

asanbr

Quote from: Limdood on October 28, 2017, 06:48:41 PM
I had a pirate caravan come by.  I shot a nearby rhino and lion and ran indoors...one of the caravaneers went down, i rescued him, he wanted to join...1 contruction.

Did you capture him and have the faction go hostile on you?

Or did the mechanics change in A18?

Or do you use a mod to make this work?

Snownova

Quote from: asanbr on October 29, 2017, 01:36:07 PM

You can rescue a friendly pawn and when they recover there is a chance that they decide to join you. If they don't they just get up and leave the map to rejoin their faction.

I think this was added in A16.

asanbr

Quote from: Snownova on October 30, 2017, 06:19:39 AM
Quote from: asanbr on October 29, 2017, 01:36:07 PM

You can rescue a friendly pawn and when they recover there is a chance that they decide to join you. If they don't they just get up and leave the map to rejoin their faction.

I think this was added in A16.

Interesting. I have never had this happen so I didn't think it could happen. I make a lot of effort to rescue and heal all friendly pawns, for the reputation gain and if they have good equipment I'll strip them of that too while they are alive.