[0.18.1704] Boreal forest becomes a desolate Tundra after winter

Started by Mehni, October 28, 2017, 07:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehni

Currently on a map with an advertised 20 day growing period. This is what the southern part of the map looks like, after 100 days. That's two winters and one toxic fallout. I don't think that part of the map even saw beavers, and if it did they weren't there for long. I didn't cut down a single tree there.

The lack of trees is a bother, but what's worse is that there's absolutely no grass or moss. This is what it looks like a little bit later, when the flora is trying to make a comeback - but since this is Boreal forest the game ALWAYS sends a cold-snap to cut off a couple of days from the growing season.

Basically, grass and moss doesn't stand a chance to grow. (Raspberry) bushes disappear the first winter. Most trees don't live long enough to spread from the centre either.

Suggestion/possible fixes: dormant grass that can survive under snow? Longer lifespan for certain trees? Tree/grass hibernation during winter?

Calahan

Tbh I've long thought that the trees and vegetation that exists in some of the colder biomes/tiles to be pretty much just a lie. As you will have trees at 90-100% growth at the start, but when you actually play the map tile you will be lucky to see any new trees reach 50% growth before dying a natural death to old age. So how any tree ever got to 90%+ at any point on that biome/map tile when it's rarely warm enough to even trigger outside growing is... just a lie the game presents to you, and paints a picture of a landscape that can't possible occur naturally (with that particular biome/on that particular tile).

Not sure what the solution is but this has personally bugged me for a very long time, and when I play a colder biome I know that the trees and vegetation I see at the start I will never see again. Which I find part annoying and part sad :(

TheMeInTeam

^ Can't some trees be made more temperature tolerant for growing/death resist?  Pine is weaker than poplar anyway, if they're made to scale down in growth rate but not die in boreal you'd have a viable alternative to planting poplars indoors in tundra/ice sheet :p.

As it stands food/wood economy after the first 4-5 days is more forgiving in extreme desert than the cold biomes which is a little silly.  I like that each has its unique challenges, but there is a night and day difference between each "tier" of cold vs hot climates.