[Mod Request] Quantum Entangled Storage

Started by DoctorFowl, October 28, 2017, 09:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorFowl

Hey guys,

I'd like to give an idea of a furniture piece, similar to the fridge mods (possible, with cooling for storing perishables) with a 1x1 storage that could be linked to multiple similar furnitures and the items stored could be accessed by any of the furnitures in the network.

For instance, when configuring the furniture, we would configure the storage type (as a Stockpile) and then, we could have buttons to either link or "get link". Linked devices would obviously have the same stockpile configurations and those items would show up in all of them!.

This way, we could have, for instance, one stockpile of Kibble, linked to multiple pens for animals to eat. :)
Is it doable? :)

faltonico

like Quantum Storage? it doesn't have refrigerated storage though.
It wasn't updated for A17, who knows if it will be for A18, but the code is open if you want to update it for yourself.

DoctorFowl

faltonico

I really don't know if it is easy or not to update, i have no real coding experience.
Though that didn't prevent me from trying and failing miserably -_-'

Kiame

It should be doable. I have Change Dresser and Weapon Storage mods which allow apparel/weapons to be available across different dressers/storages.

I could see about doing this for general storage as you describe.

Note: W/ the A18 version of change dresser it's no longer linked-storage due to a new design direction; the A17 version was closer to that end.

Kiame

Heh this would be more difficult than i initially thought. I forgot the game assumed all items were spawned. The only way to make items available in multiple locations at once - that i can think of at this point - is to despawn them and keep them stored in a (programming logic here) static list. Then all storage would reference that static list of things which would be considered the storage...

I'll keep this idea in the back of my head but no promises  ;)

Canute

You don't need to made one item spawn at all locations.
Just do it like the quantum relays, spawn 1 stack from the mainstock to the location.

Kiame

My goal was to have the interface require no user interaction. If a cow needs to eat, just go to the storage container. If a pawn needs to build something they can go to another storage item and take what they need.

I can see if it'd be easyenough to just convert te  quantum storage mod

DoctorFowl

Quote from: Kiame on October 30, 2017, 12:50:49 AM
Heh this would be more difficult than i initially thought. I forgot the game assumed all items were spawned. The only way to make items available in multiple locations at once - that i can think of at this point - is to despawn them and keep them stored in a (programming logic here) static list. Then all storage would reference that static list of things which would be considered the storage...

I'll keep this idea in the back of my head but no promises  ;)

This sounds amazing!
Eventually, could this system be turned into something akin to Applied Energistics, from Minecraft?

Kiame

Never played minecraft so not sure what Applied Energistics is

Example of what i'm thinking:
1 Storage Crate near a mining operation.
1 Storage Crate near stone cutting table
1 Storage Crate near geothermal vent

Miner places ore/chunks into the nearby crate
Stone cutter takes chunks from local crate, creates bricks, places bricks in crate
Builder takes ore from crate to craft geothermal plant + bricks to make a stone wall around the geothermal plant

This is all done seamlessly - no user interaction required

When the geothermal plant is done, user can select the crate and have it picked up by a pawn and moved to the next building location (or miner for next mining location)

Kiame

While much more complex, Industrial Rollers might also work for what you're after: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26967.0

DoctorFowl

How so?

Wouldn't the colonists still rerrange the items back into their stockpiles?

Canute

I think with kiame idea, there wouldn't be any stockpiles.
You build a silo, fill it up with kibble, the kibble is just a number inside the silo.
You build feeding bowl (moveable) which the animals can access and eat from, and just decrease the number from the silo each time an animal eat.

Kiame

What Canute said.

If i'm able to figure out how to get this to work (and including my other storage mods) I'd have three boxes. A Quantum Storage Box, Change Dresser, and Weapon Storage. These would contain everything  my colony owns in a 3x1 grid of furniture.

I would probably prevent food to go in there... or maybe not. We'll see if i can get this working  :P

Current progress is: Pawns store items in the container and I can save the game and load it. I need to figure out where to inject behavior to have pawns take stuff out which may be the limiting factor. It could also prevent other mods that modify pawn behavior with item retrieval so I'm beginning to think this won't work as well as I hope. I'll keep prodding at it and see where it goes.

Canute

Good luck with that. You need to overhaul the hauling thinking of pawn/animal so they check not only the Map for items, they need to check the storage first too.
And don't forget you need to modify the trading script to add the item from these storages to the trading.

There are/was many mass storage systems, but all ended with at last 1 stack outside to prevent these hauling/trading problem.