[A18] Are Colonists no longer Gay/Straight

Started by wyoian, October 30, 2017, 12:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyoian

Asked about this on the a18 release thread but no one replied.

This one colonist has attempted to woo 3 girls and 2 males. 4 of them near the same time. The other male was not in the picture at the time. Is this intended? He does not have the "gay" trait.

Also due to his 2x -break% i had to naked caravan him, he had daily breaks even when on night shift.

Edit: mostly posted to ask if anyone else has had a similar experience with a pawn before or in A18

Devon_v

Even in A17 pawns weren't strictly gay or straight, the trait just indicated their predominant leaning. From what I recall the code didn't allow for male bisexuality, but that would seem to have been amended.

If you go to dev mode and check out a pawn's relationships it should show you the compatibility and romance chance with other pawns. If it's non-zero for both genders for that guy then he's probably bi, favoring hetero.

It would honestly be interesting if a colonist's sexual orientation wasn't a tag they wore on their info pane, but something that you just discovered through their interactions. As it was, gay pawns automatically had less potential because one of their precious trait slots was taken up by their sexuality. (One of the things I liked most about Romance Diversified was that the sexuality trait was moved to a special fourth slot)

Slimy_Slider

I have had a non-gay male pawn begin a relationship with another man. Was a little awkward, since I'd set them up to be brothers in my scenario with Prepare Carefully. Just turned out I'd forgotten to actually make them brothers.

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

sadpickle

Rimworld colonies should, perhaps, follow the prison rule. After all, a lot of guys going into prison might never have considered relations with men... until they got put in a box with nothing but other men. Humans are meat-robots, and one of the drives of a meat-robot is getting some love. It won't kill you like hunger or thirst, but let's be realistic here.

Consider the logic of Jay, a character in the classic film The 40-Year-Old Virgin (NSFW LANGUAGE) https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9379b000-debd-461c-afc2-c4a6ecaf9ecc (/NSFW LANGUAGE)

Just sayin'.

ColonistGirl

I haven't noticed that pop up yet. Then again, it seems like my colonies end up being mostly women for some reason, even though I'm not trying to make them that way.

Though I did get an odd escape pod popup the other day. I use Prepare Carefully, so I can set up my initial colonist(s) how I want, and I usually start them at 14, so I can avoid relationship stuff initially (focus on survival early on, don't worry about screwing, etc). About two years into the colony, an escape pod crashed down and it said the person inside was "ex-husband" of one of the colonists.

Who had started at 14 years old. And he was in his 30's.

Meaning he was married to her when she was 13... ergh. C'mon, game, don't be creepy.

Daniell

Yeah, the game doesn't seem to have all the kinks worked out of the age system yet. I had an escape pod event where a 43-year-old colonist's parent dropped and turned out to be only 26. Of course thanks to cryptosleep shenanigans, it's possible for parents to end up younger than their children. But the oldest the parent could have been when they were born, by either actual or biological age, was eleven years old.
Yes, I'm weird. No, you don't get to complain about it.

Tynan

Nothing changed in the romance system since A17 that I can remember.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

sarke

Quote from: ColonistGirl on October 31, 2017, 06:57:23 PM
ergh. C'mon, game, don't be creepy.

You mean like my 14 year old "Rich Explorer" who ran away to a rim world because he was sick of all the free orgies?

wyoian

Quote from: Tynan on November 01, 2017, 01:37:48 AM
Nothing changed in the romance system since A17 that I can remember.

Ok I must have not noticed / had this happen in my games. I assume its not entirely common for someone to end up romantically compatible with the gender they don't prefer so quickly. Or maybe the rim starts turning into a prison mentality after someone doesn't find a partner after enough time  ;)

ColonistGirl

Quote from: sarke on November 01, 2017, 01:57:14 AM

You mean like my 14 year old "Rich Explorer" who ran away to a rim world because he was sick of all the free orgies?

I had a 14 year old rich explorer genius who went to the rim to prove that all her theories about building a sustainable colony from nothing were easily accomplished. Was pretty fun. Using Prepare Carefully, I sold off a lot of the stuff that the rich explorer usually starts with (charge rifle, glitterworld meds, pet, etc) and replaced them with lower-tech stuff, then used all those points to bump her skills and traits up. She ended up with 20 in every skill except melee, awesome traits, and enough stuff to start her colony out with ease. Was pretty fun.

Kruniac

Quote from: ColonistGirl on November 01, 2017, 02:52:38 PM

I had a 14 year old rich explorer genius who went to the rim to prove that all her theories about building a sustainable colony from nothing were easily accomplished. Was pretty fun. Using Prepare Carefully, I sold off a lot of the stuff that the rich explorer usually starts with (charge rifle, glitterworld meds, pet, etc) and replaced them with lower-tech stuff, then used all those points to bump her skills and traits up. She ended up with 20 in every skill except melee, awesome traits, and enough stuff to start her colony out with ease. Was pretty fun.

I had a 17 year old kid get ass fucked by my 48 year old herbalist after just three days on the planet. You'd think they had other priorities, like building the damned toilets.

Names are for the Weak

Quote from: Kruniac on November 05, 2017, 10:59:30 AM
Quote from: ColonistGirl on November 01, 2017, 02:52:38 PM

I had a 17 year old kid get ass fucked by my 48 year old herbalist after just three days on the planet. You'd think they had other priorities, like building the damned toilets.
That reminds me of one time when a 17 year old girl in my colony got into a relationship with an obese man, twice her age, with heavy breathing. Kind of inspiring, really.

gipothegip

@Names

Sounds like some sort of glurge indie-film  ???
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!