Suggestion for the implementation of a Guard Tower

Started by Deer87, October 31, 2017, 04:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deer87

First a disclaimer: I know it has been suggested before, but as far as i can see, never in detail. Why I don't make a mod: I have little to none experience with coding and graphics

The guard tower:

2x2 construction, with an additional accessfield (the ladder). Alternatively 4x4 including the accessfield, with the outer ring being unaccessible graphics reprecenting the posts/pillars and sandbags

L= Ladder, X=floor, C=cover/posts

XX
LXX

CCCC
LXXC
CXXC
CCCC

The ladder field has a very slow movementspeed (10% or so) to simulate the vertical movement

Turrets can be built in the tower or it can be manned by up to 4 pawns.

The railing provides low cover like sandbags (perhaps a bit better due to the angle, or little worse due to thinner materials?)

A pawn or turret can only shoot over a railing it is adjecant to

I havent figured the excact values for effects out, but i guess it will be something like:

Within a radius of 10 squares, shooting from a tower, all cover, except mountain, roof and trees, is ignored (trees may have reduced cover)

11-20 squares all low cover is ignored, wall, cliff and trees work normally (I dont know whether the system can handel calculating shooting over walls if the pawn is not standing directly behind it, if so, additional values for being partially hidden  by a wall a few squares away needs to be added)

21-40 squares reduced effect from low cover, high cover works normally

A tower will have hitpoints depending on material, and can be utterly destroyed. If so, any pawn within will suffer damage from falling and debris (similar to roof collaps)

Why a tower?
* Tactical position that can work with a non-perforated wall
* It fits the western'ish style of the game (having wood guardtowers in the corners of a shrubland encampment just seems like something you need)

* As long as the listed effects can be implemented within the existing code, we can get some pseudo z-axis effect

* It can make deeper defence more reasonable as one can put up mg gunners or snipers a little further back without risking shooting the first line in the back.(as for now, I always end up with a single firing line (possibly with some crossfire positioning)

Call me Arty

You could build a tower that ignores rocks, walls, and trees, and has sandbag-like defense. . .
or
You could move the rocks, deconstruct the walls, and chop the trees out of the way of your shooting range. Just sayin'.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Deer87

Which doesn't mean my sniper and mg Gunner can shoot over the heads of my other pawns, and forces me to make openings in the wall to shoot out (apart from mods).
And it means that my wooden western'ish fort is still lacking its corner towers.

Look, I'm not saying that towers are a must or are essential to defence. It's a "nice to have" suggestion. I have been trying to put some thought into the mechanics instead of just demanding towers.

And as I also wrote in the last part, it would fit the style of the game. And it would be a nice alternative to bunkers and blockhouses.

Limdood

i kinda disagree.  I think that fences and towers that give you the benefits of walls (stop movement) without the drawbacks (can't shoot thru) are way too powerful.

Discounting the Z levels argument, the actual coding and implementation argument....its just too OP....the game gives you a choice right now...you either wall and block both movement AND bullets, or don't wall and block neither.