Migrating Muffalo Herd = massive free meat

Started by Shurp, January 01, 2018, 01:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

This seems a bit OP... something like over 50 muffalo wandered into bullet range of a mere five pawns... the carnage was incredible.  And now I have food forever.  Is this by design?

If the muffalo revenge had been triggered I would have been a little worried, but since muffalo are so slow my pawns could have outrun them anyway.  I dunno, this event needs to be toned down a bit to not be such a free meat event.

Now a migrating boomrat herd, that would be a different matter :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

muffins

I lost 10 of my 11 colonists to a migration of camels during my last game. Once animal revenge was triggered it wasn't 2 or 5 or 8 other camels joining the fight, but almost all of them.

My poor colonists just got steamrollered.

CruelBanana

It is quite annoying ot shoot them one by obe though. I would prefer them to go manhunter, and have them fight my 20 animals.

Shurp

Yes, camels are faster than colonists, making running away when revenge switches on a tricky proposition.

Muffalo are *slow*... easily outrun by any colonist unless they have a peg leg or two.

Maybe "animal revenge" needs to trigger a stampede speed so they move faster?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Dashthechinchilla

Maybe a special version of manhunter for herd migrations called stampede would be interesting. I haven't been able to effectively hunt them, but I will try this with the muffalo.

jamaicancastle

I think the major problem for herd migrations - both in terms of being really dangerous, and really farmable - is that they have only one entrance point and one exit point, so the animals stack up to a ridiculous degree. If the animals had some kind of code to make them fan out, or better yet multiple entry/exit points so you have multiple "streams", it would be a lot more manageable, while at the same time reducing their vulnerability to being farmed en masse. It would also look better, more like an actual herd than this bizarre bioball of fur.

Shurp

Quote from: jamaicancastle on January 01, 2018, 02:14:56 PM
bizarre bioball of fur.

LOL!

Agreed it would be better if they spread out a bit.  It'd making farming harder (you'd have to spread out your colonists to intentionally bottle them up) and if they were spread out the revenge strike would actually be more manageable if only the local guys attacked.  Which would make for a good play dynamic -- keep your colonists close together for mutual defense vs. spread them out for maximum harvest.

grrizo

The chance of animal revenge is higher in a migration herd?
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Dashthechinchilla

Quote from: grrizo on January 01, 2018, 06:15:02 PM
The chance of animal revenge is higher in a migration herd?
Not higher, you just have more opportunity to trigger, and more consequences if others nearby trigger too.

dkmoo

Even if you have migrating grizzly bears it's possible to kill all of them with 0 casualty. Trick is to lock yourself into a building with multiple entrances (preferably far apart) with a decent builder by the door. Manhunters will only activity attack doors for a few second before going back to their target seeking mode. So just pop out in the door further away from the mob and shoot them until they close in, then duck back into the building and have ur builder ready to repair the door. Then pop out at the other door and repeat.

khun_poo

I got boomalope migration once. 47 Boomalopes in total crawl very slow through my map in the winter. My colony was on edge of starvation and about to praise the Randy for this gift. They shoot one boomalope and that's it. My game freeze for fully 3 seconds and their goes the chain explosion. Nothing left behind at all and my colonist have to remain starve LOL.

Sadly, I forgot to save that memorable picture.  :'(

Shurp

Wow, even the corpses got blown up?  When you get a boomalope manhunter mob you can usually run in and stomp the fires out before you lose all the meat.  But I guess the migration is packed too densely?