[α18] Cave hive insects can make start of game quite difficult

Started by Chibiabos, November 02, 2017, 07:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

A colony animal wandering anywhere near a cave easily triggers an attack, which is very tough when just starting out before you have had time to build any defenses or acquire decent weapons.  Maybe tone down their aggression trigger area, have them not trigger on colony pets at all (attack if they are are triggered already, but maybe not trigger to attack just because a colony animal meanders near the cave), or maybe colony animals could be repelled away by the mega-insects (so they won't just meander near enough to trigger attacks).
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

dogui

Hi! Consider you can set colony animal area.
This should be enough to solve your problem.
Greetings from italy.

Chibiabos

That would nerf the usefulness of training colony animals to haul.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

FlameBlood

OMG, I've registered just to answer you :)

You can create null 'Animal Area 1', immediately invert it (so this area will cover entire map) and then you just need to delete zone, adjacent to cave. Voila!

Caleb1117

I've found it to be somewhat of a benefit. Haven't had any pets wander into the nests, but in several of the raids I've had, half the raiders go attack the bugs for whatever reason, get killed and the rest who were attacking me retreat. Won't work forever though, as the last raid actually killed all the bugs at one nest.

Rafe009

As others have stated this is something you should already know how to do.

Animals given free reign will get into your freezer and eat your food and now that we can resurrect dead colonists if we freeze them you really don't want your grizzles or wargs to eat your level 16 careful shooter space marine corpse when you're a few days away from getting a ressurector.

Make an animal hauling zone that encompasses the entirety of the map and

then delete the tiles in that zone that are close to insect hives as well as your freezer and normal food stockpiles that you spent hours of human labor preparing.

Yoshida Keiji

You can prevent animals eating corpses by forbidding them.

Bozobub

You still need to freeze the corpse of those you want to resurrect, or they'll simply rot away.
Thanks, belgord!

Topper

I've had a problem where fleeing raiders get in a fight with the bugs and once they die the nest comes after my people..nor sure if thats the same issue you are talking about.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Topper on November 02, 2017, 09:12:20 PM
I've had a problem where fleeing raiders get in a fight with the bugs and once they die the nest comes after my people..nor sure if thats the same issue you are talking about.

The "main" problem is the "Insectoids" AI, and this particular case of a tamed animal is a derivate. Other derivates include long time ago built deadfall traps, raiders and roofcollapses. None of these four cases are player trigger "intentionally"  but rather un-voluntary.

* A player can build a deadfall trap near Ancient Shrines mostly as a preventive measure versus the Guardians inside if any. And a hive may pop long years afterwards.

* Raiders may flee toward Hives.

* Roof collapse may be triggered by the Insectoids themselves digging randomly.

* Unrestricted pets wander to their hive proximity (this is controllable by zones).

In any of these four cases, the Insectoids will still target Colonists regardless of player interaction, which means its a bug's bug.

Mutineer

I now used only 1 way to deal with spawning hives - all-out assault. Really, as a tribe, I can not afford to let them multiply. I draft everybody, bring all combat animals and try to fight, Work all the time with some time a mass animal loses, but colonist gets just a few hits.

Even tribe with bows and clubs can do it.

PatrykSzczescie

If you can't cope with cave hive insectoids, find another area to settle in.