Space Opera Plots

Started by JimmyAgnt007, November 02, 2017, 02:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyAgnt007

So, I want to do a space opera story, but Im having trouble deciding on an overall plot that can last the whole book or three.  Ive got the day to day stuff, the things they can be doing while moving the plot along, but just dont know what the BIG thing is.

So, Id like to hear about what others like to read about.  Without me saying what I prefer or not.  If i dont like your ideas then I will try to explain my reasons (just to myself) and maybe figure out what my issue is. 

If you read my RimworldTV story, that entirely lacks a overall plot, thus its rare updates.

I want everything, from Galactic events that would involve everyone (or at least spaceship owners), to some insufferably trivial task that takes forever to complete.

The story will be well within the realm of comedy so feel free to be ridiculous.  (though im leaning towards a human only galaxy, maybe a precursor race but they are background lore rather than plot relevant)

mabor0shi

So you are looking for inspiration? And what you want is people to write favorite plots from space opera stories? I think you especially want to hear the 'high concept' of the stories. Such as

Planet of the Apes: "All apes become as intelligent as humans and decide to enslave humanity and take over the world."

Snakes on a Plane: "There are mother fuckin' snakes on a mother fuckin' plane."

Is that kind of thing helpful? What if instead of trying to summarize entire series of books ourselves, we just post wikipedia links to stories with interesting concepts like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Oecumene ?
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

JimmyAgnt007

Pretty much, or things people 'want' but havent seen.  There is something really obvious I can do, but its like I cant see it.  So some objective perspective would be helpful.

All I have really decided on so far is that it will be a ship crew traveling about.  I want to send them all over the place.  I just want something other than 'to make money' driving them on. 

Names are for the Weak

Have you ever heard of a game called Stellaris? That game is basically a space opera plot generator. You can create alien empire presents with their own names, ethics, appearance, etc. Here are a few of my creations I'm particularly proud of.

Species Name: Cilxtac
Government Name: Cilxtac Directorate
Government: Science Directorate (Oligarchy)
Ethics: Fanatic Materialist, Egalitarian
Appearance: Crablike

Species Name: Nharr
Government Name: Baanathurian Galactic Warband
Government: Martial Dictatorship
Ethics: Fanatic Militarist, Xenophile
Appearance: Reptillian

Species Name: Pelisimus
Government Name: Pelisimus Citizen Republic
Government: Citizen Republic
Ethics: Fanatic Egalitarian, Militaristic
Appearance: Plantlike

I've created countless other empires like this. It would probably make a great tool for making a sketch of an alien empire in your story. Plus, you could also use the gameplay itself as inspiration for a story, as well.

JimmyAgnt007

Stellaris and I have a stressed relationship, the story stuff is about the only thing it does right.  That being said, it IS a good government maker.

Names are for the Weak

Yeah, I often just hop onto Stellaris just to make a few preset empires. I still enjoy the game itself, but I think it's quite fun to just make a sketch of an empire. I'll often try to make their backstories based off their genetic, ethical, and civil traits, and I'll even sometimes throw their homeworld into the mix as well.

Kegereneku

A plot is up to the writer, but I can help you with the Setting.
Or rather give you the website that will help you.
Regardless if you want realism or cheesy SF this is the ultimate sources. Click on "show topic" and choose whatever you are interested in.
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/prelimnotes.php

Sometime the setting replace the plot, we are interested to know just how something play out in an universe like that.
Getting a narrative structure like "3 act" or "Hero's journey" can be entirely superfluous.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

mattig89ch

Do you have any preferences?  For ex. Do you want your ship to be armed, or unarmed?  Do you want to have any conflicts with the crew?  Do you want to have aliens, or just humans in the galaxy?

Once you figure all this out, you can start working on sub points (characters, empires, factions within our without the empires, weapons, ships, physics, ect.)

JimmyAgnt007

OH, i have all that, and I actually figured out what I was missing.  I just needed something to slide in and out of the background to tie the day to day stuff together and drive the plot forward.

mattig89ch

Could be the crew trying to keep the ship in the air, and ahead of the law (firefly route).  Could be the crew on the run from someone or something (farscape route).  Could be the crew lost, trying to get to a destination (lost and alone game on GOG route).

How do those fit for you?

JimmyAgnt007

I love firefly and farscape, but its like a 'non-western' firefly sort, but the make money and keep flying bit was a bit thin, I wanted something more personal.  Lots of people have the money problem, I just needed an equivilant to the River Tam sub-plot.  Once I figured it out I was able to start the story, and of course things gather steam, I was just stuck on that one bit before I could start.

SpaceDorf

Any Indicators of what, when and where we can enjoy your work ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

JimmyAgnt007

Well I was going to start a patron account, release the first chapter in each of my 3 stories for free, then post 3 more for supporters.  Then do at least one chapter a month.  Aside from that, I have a web comic in the works with the help of an artist called Aliens vs Occult where greys come to Earth but are caught off guard by magic.  That will be totally public.

The three patron stories are as follows.

CubeSphere - A cyberpunk story set on a rotating cube with shifting panels inside an alien construct that collects ships from failed FTL jumps.  It was originally a safety system for the aliens but the humans cant escape.  So they settle there, making use of whatever else comes to them.  I got tired of the typical crap where cyberpunk was saturated with mega-corps and the only good people were the anarchists, mostly because thats how everyone does it.  So I wanted to make a place of perpetual anarchy no matter what people try to build.

Un-Wasted - A junkworld where the whole planet is covered in scrap and tech and the original groud is a myth.  This one is like a post-apoc but without the political commentary on the end of the world.  There was no atomic war or disaster on earth, man made or otherwise.  Not saying what actually happened but I always loved the setting. 

Rocks and Hard Space - This was the one that made me start this thread, its a space opera but I am trying to subvert as many tropes as I can, like i try to do with all my writing.  Its going to be much more comical than the others, a lot like my Rimworld TV story.  Its probably going to be my slowest to update since humor takes a bit more time than the other stuff.  Not saying it wont have serious bits but I want it to make people laugh.

Ive also got a few other stories in the pipe but they are far more important to me and I want to get better at writing before I start them so I can do them justice.

SpaceDorf

Every single one of them sounds like something I would love to read  ;D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

JimmyAgnt007

glad to hear that, i will post links when i am ready.