Poison Gas

Started by Bolgfred, November 03, 2017, 05:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolgfred

Dear healthy rim-society,

I have an idea an I want to share it:

Introduction
When I desing my colony, I usually build every room connected to each other, with a corridor in between for walking. I have several combinations or strategies for my colonies, but in the end there is only one big chunky complex.
I don't like this, so sometimes I try to build several single buildings for living, working, eating and so on... but this has only negative effects:
-temperature management: heater/cooler for every building
-Insulation: more outside walls
-longer walking paths
-higher material costs, as walls won't used "twice" for adjacent rooms

The idea
The idea is to add a new element "Posion gas". This would work similar to temperature/snow:
Every room has a percentage of poison (similar to snow level). which will be transported through doors, vents, coolers or missing roofs.
Gas always tries to take equal levels of density (similar to temperature) and spreads through every room that is connected with each other.
Outside has 0% by standard, so having an opening to the outside will volatilize gas very quick.
Outside itself can have a global poison level. This can be manipulated by events (maybe volcanic winter or toxic fallout?), but will never be influenced by gas being transfered to the outside.

Usage examples
New mortar ammo: gas bomb -  self explanating
New Event: Gas Bomb attack -  a bomber flies over the colony, droping gas bombs in a straight line over the map
New Mechanoid Weapon: Weed Killer - a short/mid spread weapon, comparable to combat shotung, , applying high poison level
Rotting corpses: Inside they slightly raise poison level

Benefit/TL:DR
By having a thread by poison gas, which can only spread through areas declared "inside", big complexes get a risk themselves, and separating buildings becomes a little bit more valuable. Maybe.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Sbilko

Well, instead of poison, I think it could be named "CO2 level." If you look up eskimo's igloos, they build their door at a low height, this way the heat can be retained better (since hot air stays above cold air). Having a ventilation system which takes the air from the bottom would help for cold weather; while having it take the air from the top would help for hot summers.

Limdood

I'm not really interested in more things that force me to play the game like someone else.

qsdoosix

If you really don't like build large complex, just don't do it. No one has said you must or must not do something. So there is no point to add a penalty for someone who prefers building large complex.
In fact, i'm thinking about add a multi floor buildings.

Yoshida Keiji

Poison Gas after getting Food Poisoning... Get the picture?