Mod release guidelines

Started by Tynan, May 22, 2014, 04:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

> Name your release thread according to the standard established on the board.

> Include a license with your mod and on the release post.

• Specify whether others can include your mod in mod packs and if/how you must be notified/credited.
  • Specify whether others can use your content to make derivative works and if/how you should be notified or credited.
If you want to be super-permissive and allow others to use your mod in any way, put it in modpacks, and make other versions of it, use the zlib license. If not, you could choose a license from the creative commons website. If that's too complex, you could just write a few sentences saying what is and isn't allowed.

> If you are making a mod pack, make sure you have permission from the author of each mod to include it in your mod pack. If it isn't stated in the license, you must ask the developer for permission.

> Including source code with your mod is encouraged but not required.

> You can ask for donations. However, the mod itself must be made available to all players for free (anything else would not be a mod, but an unlicensed expansion pack).

> You may not place advertisements for other products on this forum. If you have your own website for a mod you can do as you wish with it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Austupaio

I'll go ahead and do this, and think it's a good idea that you're enforcing this due to some of the recent, eh, drama. Could you post an example license though?

I could cobble together my own paragraph easily enough, I just figured it'd be better to have a basic idea what you want.

ItchyFlea

All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

keensta

What about tools?

Saying that I've already released source and it's bound by a license.
Check out my RimWorld SaveEditor
It removes slag and rock debris.

I mostly hang around in the Mod section of the forum. Yet I don't have a Mod :o.

Space Kraken

May I be the first to suggest required source code. I've seen some good forums for other games go down a hell hole because of 'modders' putting viruses in their code. The Ksp forums requires source code and so far it works beautifully. I would not want to see modders putting viruses in code.

Tynan

Quote from: Space Kraken on June 16, 2014, 02:31:49 PM
May I be the first to suggest required source code. I've seen some good forums for other games go down a hell hole because of 'modders' putting viruses in their code. The Ksp forums requires source code and so far it works beautifully. I would not want to see modders putting viruses in code.

Requiring source code wouldn't stop viruses. People could just publish source different from the one in the actual mod.

Space Kraken

Most people making viruses are too lazy to make what appears to be a mod.
It is possible to compare the assembly vs the source.
But moreso, requiring that source be posted enhances the community as people entering it are able to see how more experienced people did it before them.

Tynan

Quote from: Space Kraken on June 16, 2014, 02:46:04 PM
Most people making viruses are too lazy to make what appears to be a mod.
It is possible to compare the assembly vs the source.
But moreso, requiring that source be posted enhances the community as people entering it are able to see how more experienced people did it before them.

Agreed on point 1.

On point 2, it wouldn't be hard to do a quick scan for things a mod really shouldn't be doing, like accessing files outside the RimWorld interfaces or touching system registry settings.

On point 3, I agree here as well, which is why posting source is highly recommended and appreciated. However, I don't think it's a great idea to force everyone to do it. People do still have the right to handle their work as they like.

Evul

Ty i have a suggestion that could be added if the grammar is fixed.

New topic name suggestion: Mod and Modpack release guidelines

> Before making a modpack make sure you have permission from the author to include it in your modpack. Ask the developer or if it is stated in the license.

JuliaEllie

On the virus problem: there is a online page called https://www.virustotal.com/ that scans files for viri and worms and all those bad things out there. Maybe we could establish a convention to use this?

Tynan

Quote from: Evul on July 18, 2014, 11:32:26 AM
Ty i have a suggestion that could be added if the grammar is fixed.

New topic name suggestion: Mod and Modpack release guidelines

> Before making a modpack make sure you have permission from the author to include it in your modpack. Ask the developer or if it is stated in the license.

Good idea, added.