[1.4] ExtendedInspectData

Started by Varisha, November 03, 2017, 08:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Provide more inspect details for anything else than selected zones?

Yes (community can ask for specific selection details)
No (for zones only)

Varisha

Authors:
Varisha

Description:
This mod adds some basic information to the inspect window for the current selected item or zone.

Single selection of zones to store things:
Adds a scrollable list of entries to the inspect window if a zone is selected. The list contains an icon, the label and the total number of things in the zone. Click an entry to select the items.

Single/Multiple selection of items to store things:
Adds a scrollable list of entries to the inspect window if one or more items are selected. The list contains an icon, the label and the total number of things stored in the selected item(s). Click an entry to select the items.

Single selection of farm zones:
Adds a graph to the inspect window showing the distribution of growth values of the plants in the zone.
The graph contains these information:
- x axis = growth value in percent (a plant has growth value of 0-100%)
- y axis = percentage of total planted plants in the zone that reached growth value x (let's say i have like 8 percent of plants that reached growth value ~52% and 13% are around 100% growth value)
- The white vertical line marks the growth value that is needed to harvest a plant.

Below the graph you find the following information from left to right
- Total of cells with no plant in it (this includes cells that are marked as growing zone, but have a lamp on it or so)
- Total cells with plants in it (any growth value)
- Total number of plants that cannot be harvested yet (left of white line)
- Total number of plants that can be harvested (right of white line). Click the icon to select corresponding plants.
- Total number of fully grown plants (growth value = 100%). Click the icon to select corresponding plants.

Multiple selection of farm zones or plant growing buildings:
- List can be sorted by fully grown plants or harvestable plants (descending only)
- Single entry in list can be selected which results in single selection view of this zone.
- Direct selection of harvestable or fully grown plants of a certain entry in the list

Downloads:
Steam: ExtendedInspectData
GitHub: ExtendedInspectData

Alpha/Beta-Versions
[1.3] Steam: ExtendedInspectData [1.3]
[B19] Steam: ExtendedInspectData [B19]
[B18] Steam: ExtendedInspectData [B18]
[A17] Steam: ExtendedInspectData [A17]

Pictures

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.
or
- use item in steam workshop

Technical details for modders:
It uses a things "ThingDef" information to group same things together and count the number of occurences in the zone. So if you have 3 different parcas for example, each crafted with a different resource or quality the mod will sum them up resulting in 1 entry in the list. The entry says you have "Parca x3". For a simple overview of number of items this should be ok.

Licensing:
- You can use this mod in your modpack.
- Want to submod it or fix it for another release? Drop me a message please.

Note:
This is my first RimWorld mod. If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment.

Varisha

Feature requests

selected Type    Inspect Data    Implentation Status    Released
WeaponSingle selection: Base weapon stats (accuracy, shots, damage, DPS, etc.).
Multiple selection: simplified weapon stats list sorted by <player selected option>
Won't do
Won't do
-

Reported Issues

This mods version    Description    3rd party mod + version    Implentation Status    Released

Nightinggale

I'm surprised nobody replied yet. It looks quite good, particularly for a first mod.

Quote from: Varisha on November 03, 2017, 08:13:16 PM1) implement graph to show grow rate distribution
It would be useful to have counters like plants ready to harvest, plots waiting for planters, plants not fully grown, but will provide something if harvested etc. Perhaps estimated days until the next plant reaches harvest state.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Varisha

Quote from: Nightinggale on November 04, 2017, 09:42:13 PM
It would be useful to have counters like plants ready to harvest, plots waiting for planters, plants not fully grown, but will provide something if harvested etc. Perhaps estimated days until the next plant reaches harvest state.

Yes it was planned to show the following data for farms:
- total number of cells
- number of harvestable things (ready to harvest)
- number of non-harvestable things (not ready to harvest yet)
- empty cells (nothing planted yet)

I am not sure if am able to have different backgrounds in the graph (red for not harvestable and green for harvestable) .. otherwise i would mark the "harvestable state" by a single line or use different colors for the line in the graph. So you see when the plants reach this state.

"Perhaps estimated days until the next plant reaches harvest state":
This will not be done, as you can see by distribution how close it is to the harvestable state (can differ by type of plant).

Nightinggale

"Can be harvested, but not yet ready to harvest" would be interesting too. Usually you would not want to harvest such plants, but if winter is coming and growth stalls and you expect none of the plants will survive the winter, then you want to know if you can at least get something.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Varisha

Quote from: Nightinggale on November 05, 2017, 10:09:54 AM
"Can be harvested, but not yet ready to harvest" would be interesting too. Usually you would not want to harvest such plants, but if winter is coming and growth stalls and you expect none of the plants will survive the winter, then you want to know if you can at least get something.

this should be the value of: number of harvestable things (ready to harvest)
That means the plant reached a minimum growth value that makes it harvestable but it can be less than 100% (e.g. growth value between 65% and 100%). You can harvest it already.
I dont want an extra counter for plants that have grown 100%. I think this is redundant.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Varisha on November 05, 2017, 10:26:35 AMI dont want an extra counter for plants that have grown 100%. I think this is redundant.
I disagree. If you have plenty of plants ready to harvest, it could be an indication that you have too few colonists set to harvesting. If you have plenty of harvestable plants, but no 100% grown, then it's a matter of time rather than lack of harvesters.

Varisha

Hi guys,

thanks so far for accepting my mod. I didn't imagine it is that helpfull to so many people.
Before I release the next feature i would like to get some feedback first.

It is about the graphical distribution of growth values inside a farm zone. Did you ever try to find out how long it will take until the plants are ready to harvest or reach 100% etc. With a graph you can see how many of your plants have which progress now. And you can see the growth value they need to get to be harvestable.

Current state of implementation (not released):

What do you see:
- x axis = growth value in percent (a plant has growth value of 0-100%)
- y axis = percentage of total planted plants in the zone that reached growth value x (let's say i have like 6 percent of plants that reached growth value ~57% and 13% are around 100% growth value)
- The white vertical line marks the growth value that is needed to harvest a plant (65% in this picture). Any plant below 65% growth value cannot be harvested.
- That means, in this picture the majority of plants is ready to be harvested
- Below the graph you find the following information from left to right
      - Total of cells with no plant in it (this includes cells that are marked as growing zone, but have a lamp on it or so)
      - Total cells with plants in it (any growth value)
      - total number of plants that can not be harvested yet (left of white line)
      - total number of plants that can be harvested (right of white line)
      - total number of plants that are fully grown (100% growth value)

Some notes:
- I reused the core graph methods to draw the graph. Any automatic layout calculations are totally up to the core classes. If they change something the graph may look different or result in Exceptions as just noticed  :o (API change)
- Axis measures labels are calculated automatically in the core classes. I was not able to set fixed values. So as in history tab we do not see the maximum values as a label => Works as designed  ;D
- The 2 texts (y axis label and x axis label) are translated strings that are already present in the core translations. Y-text = "Value"  and X-text = "PercentageGrowth". I didnt want to introduce new labels to be flexible.
- As I didnt want to introduce new labels for the 4 information below the graph I reused icons that are already available to indentify the different information.

Important for me to know:
- Do you think the items are a good choice? Are they self-explaining in this context? Do you have other icon ideas? Anyway I will include the information in the About.xml so any user can read it ingame.

- Do you have other information in mind, that would be good to display? Please keep the current design in mind. If you want to add things, think about to provide a design as well. And best to use no new text :)

1. Requested: a value for "Plants grown 100%".
I got the idea and the arguments but I find this redundant as the information is visible in percent in the graph itself. If the line at the end of the graph is above 0 y-value than i know that y-percent reached 100% growth rate. The higher this percentage, the more 100% plants you got. Depending on the number of total plants in this zone (2. value below graph) it can be ringing alarm bells or not ^^
So far i dont plan to inlcude this.

I noticed that this graph is failing in A18. So let's see if I wait to release it if A18 is out or if I prepare a patch and try to be fast to update it then :)
Please only reply if you want to discuss something (issues, suggestions) otherwise it is difficult to keep track.
Thanks Vari

Varisha

New Releases:

• ZoneInspectData [A17] (v1.1.17.4 not compatible to A18)
  • ZoneInspectData [A18] (v1.1.18.1 not compatible to A17)
Links updated in first post.

Added functionalities for zones to grow things:

• Single zone selected: implement graph to show grow rate distribution

Pictures:

Regards Vari

Kori

Great mod and the new graph feature looks very good.
Regarding the icons, I think the only one that I wouldn't understand intuitively is the one for the total number of plants that can not be harvested yet. Maybe the red icons from Cancel or Delete buttons would be a better choice?

Varisha

Quote from: Kori on November 06, 2017, 09:16:02 AM
Great mod and the new graph feature looks very good.
Regarding the icons, I think the only one that I wouldn't understand intuitively is the one for the total number of plants that can not be harvested yet. Maybe the red icons from Cancel or Delete buttons would be a better choice?
My idea was: They still need to grow some more time or are in some kind of "In progress". I had the red icons in mind as well, but didn't become a fan of them.

If there is anyone out there who is willing to design new icons/Textures, I am totally open to that ^^

Kori

Quote from: Varisha on November 06, 2017, 09:33:02 AM
My idea was: They still need to grow some more time or are in some kind of "In progress". I had the red icons in mind as well, but didn't become a fan of them.

That also makes sense. :)

Kori

Would it be possible to cycle through the stockpiles stacks of items by clicking on their entries in the stockpile zone list?

Varisha

Quote from: Kori on November 06, 2017, 04:07:00 PM
Would it be possible to cycle through the stockpiles of items by clicking on their entries in the stockpile zone list?
What should be the result?

Kori

Quote from: Varisha on November 06, 2017, 04:09:35 PM
Quote from: Kori on November 06, 2017, 04:07:00 PM
Would it be possible to cycle through the stockpiles of items by clicking on their entries in the stockpile zone list?
What should be the result?

When I want to find a specific item in big stockpile zones I'd like to select it by clicking on the corresponding entry in the list, so I can manually pick it up with my pawns (CE), activate haul urgently (allow tool), check how much time I have left before it starts to rot...
Right now the stockpile zone list tells you that the item is available, but it doesn't help you locating it.  ;)

edit I just noticed that my previous post wasn't correct, I wanted to say
QuoteWould it be possible to cycle through the STACKS of specific items by clicking on their entries in the stockpile zone list?
Sorry.