[MOD] (Alpha 3) HorrorWorld (v.1.1)

Started by bladedsmoke, April 24, 2014, 01:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spatula

the tl;dr main point of my above post: make it so that hiding from mutants is more the focus, as it will increase the "horror" element to their attacks.

Tynan

Regarding the tech behind this; Alpha 4 will make hidden and/or special always-hostile factions a lot better supported. So you won't get weird "friendly mutant visits" any more.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

minami26

Quote from: Tynan on May 10, 2014, 10:53:37 AM
Alpha 4 will make hidden and/or special always-hostile factions a lot better supported. So you won't get weird "friendly mutant visits" any more.
omg omg omg, the hype. I totally suck at coding. This makes the days a lot more longer until Alpha 4! Can't WAIT.

StormProxy

Are they marked as animals if they are the turrents wont shoot them mark them as raider

mrofa

Well you could always ask Justin C how he did it with zombies since turrets shoot to them
All i do is clutter all around.

Justin C

Quote from: mrofa on May 24, 2014, 05:11:42 PM
Well you could always ask Justin C how he did it with zombies since turrets shoot to them
The default turrets only attack Humanoids.

mrofa

All i do is clutter all around.

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: TerraStorm32 on May 12, 2014, 10:08:43 PM
Are they marked as animals if they are the turrents wont shoot them mark them as raider

architects vanilla+ mod makes animals targettable by turrets

Justin C

Quote from: mrofa on May 24, 2014, 07:49:11 PM
You mean the think tree?
No, there is a variable that sets whether or not the game treats a pawn as a humanoid. If a pawn is not a humanoid but is still flesh, it is treated as an animal. This variable can be set in the XML, but the problem is that as soon as you do that it completely changes the way the race renders.

Tuvka

I would like to know whether this mod be updated for alpha 4?

spatula

I was going to make a new request thread for a few horror-themed ideas, but it fits the "horrorworld" general idea really well, so may as well post here in the hopes that the modder will update for Alpha 4 so I can have my much fantasized battle between colonists, zombies, muties and mechanoids in the meantime!

Here are some ideas that might generally add to the "horror" elements of Rimworld, which I for one would LOVE to see explored!

Black Out: what if during night/eclipses you could only see the radius lit by lights and a small area around each colonist, but otherwise blacked out the map? That would be terrifying! Horrorworld! Maybe a few glowing ghouls or strange bugs/plants around the map making a small light oasis to tantalize/torture the imagination! Flashlights as items? Torches with the new wood economy?

Horrorman: it would be neat to have some kind of horrorman (ie. slendermanish non-moving entity) that would appear only at night in random spots of the map... any colonists who come close enough to see him simply don't make it back to base. It would be terrifying and you'd only ever see him for a brief moment before he's gone. Accompanied by the scariest noise ever that builds in volume as any colonist gets closer. So chilling.

Sacrifice: maybe on horrorworld, there's a giant fire-breathing beast who lives underground and you must make a sacrifice each month from your prisoners/colonists (ie. drop them down an untapped geo-vent) to prevent the beast from ravaging your colony by creating an event that sets half the map on fire... probably would have to make crashed survivors more likely here to keep the offerings flowing, but would be very cool for gameplay. Expand this with human traps to catch raiders alive and you've got me.

Ghosts: Maybe Bill who died of starvation comes back occasionally to eat your food stocks? Maybe Bob who died in a raid appears and punches the colonists randomly or opens doors? Maybe most just flutter in and out of existence from time to time, reminders of all the souls who died for the sake of this horrific outpost.

No Saves/Pausing: Hardcore mode with no saving or pausing allowed...

More Cannibalism: It makes sense for Horrorworld and would probably just need a human stove with recipes and a modification of the psychological effects (ie. starts off negative but after so many meals begins to become positive until a LACK of human meat is a negative!)

Hiding vs fighting: a lot of the game right now is just building turrets and moving around pawns to fight or flee... but there's no way to hide and I think this is integral to the horror experience! Maybe items like closets or panic rooms where you could fit only one or two colonists and wait out whatever horrors plague the colony, it would be cool to see something in the stealth/hiding category.

Anyway, those are enough for one post! Would love to see some/all of the above get into a mod! I think a Horror/Western theme would be a great to expand on!